Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got my first Criterion in the post today: Yi Yi. I haven't watched it yet, but the packaging looks pretty and the booklet and stuff is cool. I live in the UK and so won't be getting these very often (I only got Yi Yi because it's out of print in region 2), but can any recommend some for great films where the Criterion version really is the absolute definitive one? I was thinking of The Vanishing as it was recommended to me, but there are other versions available in R2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
aha I just got Close-Up from my Uni's library, although I have yet to watch it. Other than that the only one that really interests me is Everlasting Moments. Still, some nice additions.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So I've been noticing recently how some Criterion discs (such as Dazed and Confused/Solaris/Faith Trilogy) are region 0. Is there a reason why some are region 0 while most are region 1? Something to do with copyright?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Would anyone with the Crumb DVD release be able to tell me if it's Region 1 or Region 0? Thanks.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh my lord. I own the DVD, haven't got around to watching it yet, and now don't want to until I can get that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I finally got my copy of Fanny & Alexander today, almost two months after I ordered it. It's probably my favourite thing I own now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Good lord, that packaging is brilliant.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've never wished criterion.com shipped outside of the US/Canada more than right now. I hate you all :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's not like there are non-Criterion versions of the 5-hour F&A, though. Although I couldn't not be excited for it because I consider it basically the best film I've ever seen

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It seems to be something pretty much any English film with foreign language parts does - I remember it pissing me off with Inland Empire as well. I'm in the same boat as you, Magic Hate Ball, so this is a serious bummer.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The only thing I've ever read about Tiny Furniture is Ebert's (overall positive) review so it's hilarious to read people all up in arms like "oh no! not one of them there hipster movies!"

Has anyone who bought the F&A blu-ray received it yet? I'm really interested to know more about it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ratedargh posted:

Being John Malkovich is fantastic :colbert:

Someone please tell me I'm not the only one who's excited for it...if it is the movie being teased.

You are not. It's my least favourite Kaufman that I've seen but it's still really good and very funny.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
DVDBeaver tells me that the TV version of Fanny & Alexander on the new blu-ray is just one massive long film and not split into the four chapters of the DVD. Could anyone confirm this?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just noticed that Certified Copy is on Netflix Instant with the Criterion cover even though it's listed as not being released until May. Is this a thing that regularly happens, or just a screwup of some sort?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Swagger Dagger posted:

Lena Dunham's show premiered on HBO tonight so I wanted to take this opportunity to remind people that they should never, ever watch Tiny Furniture.

I couldn't get 20 minutes into Tiny Furniture, but the first ep of the show was really good.

I've never seen any Stillman, but this seems like a good time to start.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really wish they'd taken the opportunity to change the Tenenbaums cover. I've never liked that one, even though I think all the other Andersons work well.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The TTSS movie is sublime. One of my favourite movies of this decade, and absolutely one of the most well-shot. It's dense as gently caress though, your attention can't wander at almost any point.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I only just now found out Brighter Summer Day was happening/is out

AAAAAAaaaaaaAAAAAAAaaaaaaaAAAAAAAA

edit: to the Bergman guy you should get Cries and Whispers anyway, it's a very tough watch but I pretty much consider it essential

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 26, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are there any region-free Criterion blus? I remember the DVDs could be but last I checked all their blus were US-only.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
!!! That gorgeous Strangelove set is coming out in the UK at the end of the month. That was like half the reason I was asking about region-free blus. The only other one released over here I definitely want is L'Avventura.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Darjeeling is killer and I'm glad it's gone up in status since it came out.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Daisies is an excellent movie everyone should def watch in their lifetimes

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
God drat blue squares I am so jealous of some of the incredible movies you still have to experience

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gonna third Blow-Out even though this is a very tough decision indeed

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Incredible month, but I wish Short Cuts had a new cover.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got my Strangelove blu today and it's so goddamn lovely and nice. Please announce more UK releases soon, Criterion! :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I never turn off a movie once I've started it but I couldn't even make it 20 minutes into Tiny Furniture, and I consider Girls to be a pretty excellent show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey blue squares I know this is from last page but Passion of Joan of Arc is loving amazing and you should definitely watch it also I really like your tastes in general from what I can tell do you have a criticker account or anything

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slate Action posted:

(B X 4) X 3

The Before Trilogy

i'm dead now. this news made me die of happiness. rip escobarbarian

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got linked to this blog where a guy complains about sound quality on blu-ray releases. He claims Criterion especially use liberal amounts of noise reduction. Any merit, or just some dude being dorky? http://blah-ray.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-is-this-site.html

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Have they ever announced a release without cover art before?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Follow-up question who do I email incessantly to see if the Before trilogy will get a UK release

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Before Trilogy pre-order is currently 39.95 on Amazon US. 29.95 for the DVD.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yeah that's mentioned 3/4 posts above you

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Solaris is my personal favourite Tark. It's incredible stuff.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

Coming in late to the Solaris convo but it's not only the best Tarkovsky film I've seen so far, it's also my pick for "best science fiction film ever."

If not for 2001 (and maybe Her) I would totally agree with this.

I only watched Stalker this year and for some reason really didn't dig it like I was hoping. Starting to feel like Tark just isn't my personal thing because Solaris is the only one I actually adore, despite appreciating the ones I've seen (everything up to Stalker) objectively.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
God if that doesn't get a UK release i'ma poo poo.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Stalker would be amazing, I've had such a tough time tracking that down and its never available on any streaming services.

Someone could very likely correct me here but I legit think the best quality version is somewhere on YouTube. The recent Artificial Eye blu is....not good.

e: it was on the Mosfilm channel but looks like it's been taken down. The Mirror is still up, though.

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 19, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
e: ignore me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Never seen a Hou film largely because all the Yang fans I know hate him/think he does everything wrong about slow cinema that Yang does right. Been meaning to check out The Assassin for a minute, though,