Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Jesus, those Yojimbo and Sanjuro boxes are gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

It was weird how they hadn't put out The Bicycle Thief but they've had Umberto D. for ages. Oh well, I look forward to another dive into neo-realism.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

According to the Criterion blog:

They have renewed the rights to Salo and are working on a new transfer. Coming 2007.

Other early titles will be re-released, about 3-4 a year. It's worded a bit ambiguously, but possibly Shock Corridor and Andrei Rublev will be among them.

Goddamnit, I just bought Andrei Rublev and Shock Corridor less than 6 months ago. However, both of these films have pretty much no extras and alright transfers so I guess an update is warranted. Now get the rights from Kino for other Tarkovsky films :argh:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

Click

Criterion's one-sheet for the Bergman box. It's got the individual covers on there. I really like the simple design and I hope they keep it consistent for the whole Eclipse line.

Is anyone else wondering if Criterion maybe had in mind with their logo switch something that would look similar for both of their product lines?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I can't tell you how excited I am that Criterion is finally releasing Ivan's Childhood. It's the only Tarkovsky feature I've yet to see so I'm glad for this opportunity. Maybe they can pry the rights to The Sacrifice from Kino and give that film a proper transfer.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Maybe it's just because the forums' background is the same color, but that Breathless cover art looks really bad/weird.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Brian Fellows posted:

I've never seen this discussed before (I haven't really looked for discussion, either) but is this the common view comparing the two versions? I agree that it's not exactly a necessary thing to own, though each has its merit. But I thought Kurosawa's version was infinitely better than Renoir's version, which I really couldn't stand. Normally I love Renoir and Jean Gabin, but I think it actually suffered drastically from having Gabin as a main character instead of using an equal ensemble as in Kurosawa's version.

This is kind of an aside, but I don't really understand the love for Jean Gabin. Granted, I've only seen Pepe Le Moko, but I was pretty underwhelmed with him (and the whole movie actually) and was wondering what other films fans of his would recommend.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I got a gift cert. to the Criterion Store from my job recently and need something just over $60 total ($10 off newsletter rebate), is the Teshigahara boxset worth it or would I be better off investing in some individual films?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Is that Andrzej Wajda box any good? I was talking to a friend and he heard about it but none of the films in the set are on netflix.

I've only got a few more left for Deep Discount to ship, been pretty happy so far.

The War Trilogy? If so, I find it hard to believe Netflix has none of them. But that set is worth a purchase. A Generation isn't that great, but Kanal is good and Ashes and Diamonds is a masterpiece.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Tout Va Bien is the only Criterion that I've regretted blindbuying :smith:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Crandle posted:

The Dziga Vertov Group stuff is definitely a minority taste, but who can resist Godard channeling Frank Tashlin in a radical leftist film?

Don't get me wrong, the film was beautiful. The first third of the film was generally enjoyable. However, it got painfully didactic and preachy as it went on. I think it's worth watching once, just not buying.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Has Criterion talked about expanding their Central and Eastern European offerings? It's kind of disappointing what they've got to offer right now.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

ECLIPSE SERIES 14: ROSSELLINI'S HISTORY FILMS RENAISSANCE AND ENLIGHTENMENT
- The Age of the Medici
- Blaise Pascal
- Cartesius

zzzzzzz

I'm a little disappointed that the El Norte is just a copy of the VHS case, but at least the extras are nice.

I'm not sure if you have seen those Rossellinis (I haven't), but as someone with a serious interest in the southern European Renaissance, are they worth checking out?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

More Mulvaney email:

I'd definitely buy WoD, especially if it's Blu-Ray. Not a fan of Paris. Alice I've never seen.

Aw man this is awesome news; love both Wings and Paris. Haven't seen Alice. Hope they do some cool extras for them.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

Danton - I keep hoping to find a Wajda film as amazing as Kanal. Maybe this will be the one.

I think I've asked you this before, but why don't you like Ashes and Diamonds as much as Kanal?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Ahhhhhhhhhh I need a Blu-Ray player for Seventh Seal update now. For some reason I like the subdued cover for Last Year. I can see why some would find it boring though.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

And Criterion Dungeon is exactly what I was looking for thanks!

That site got closed down and I think most of the images got moved to a different site but they haven't added any new ones for like a year.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I'm happy they're putting out Makavajev on Eclipse because finding Eastern European films from the Communist-era is not very easy. Here's hoping they expand on this and release more of this type instead of lesser-known films from big directors.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I'd really like to see Criterion start to branch out into niche genres instead of offering up an exhaustive collection of canonical directors' oeuvres.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

The Lucas posted:

I'm just glad someone is bringing Hunger to America. I've been dying to see it.

Hunger has been to America. It came to my mid-sized college town several months ago.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

Criterion's been pretty decent about responding to people on their Facebook page. No hard confirmations, but some vague "we'll get to it eventually" or "we'll think about it" type statements. And a few firm denials (like, um, Dick Tracy... what the hell are people thinking?).

The gist of the more recent posts:

* would love to do Murnau, but Kino holds most of the rights

* Weekend and Vivre Sa Vie are planned, but there's no schedule for them

* no apparent plans for German New Wave beyond the big names (Fassbinder, Wenders, et al)

* The Leopard on BR at some point

* Entre Nous is a "possibility"

* Major rights issues with securing any 5th Generation Chinese films (e.g. Yellow Earth)

* no plans for Uchida

* no plans for Robbe-Grillet

* will definitely get to more Kurosawa BR "soon"

* no plans for Tourneur

* no more Altman on the horizon

* very vague answer, but it sounds like no Trial or Chimes at Midnight

* "Not looking good at the moment" for Greenaway (unclear whether means Cook Thief Wife Lover or other Greenaway titles)

Yellow Earth wouldn't be a big loss, in my opinion. Although some of the other 5th Generation Chinese films are worthwhile.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

AccountSupervisor posted:

Has there ever been an official explanation as to why Armageddon and The Rock were made into Criterions?

"Summer blockbuster genre." But really it's to finance the ones that don't sell a lot but are worthwhile to put out.

So happy that Paris, TX is coming out on Criterion. Harry Dean Stanton is a force in that movie.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

A Jacques Tati film, the perfect gift for any young relative.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Man I sure can't think of anything I'd like more than a release of a Beatles movie.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

vertov posted:

There's something odd about that film becoming part of the "institutionalized" realm of film appreciation that Criterion and MoC (and the accompanying internet discourse) have been cultivating.

I think as much as we want to hoist up Criterion as paragons of cinematic taste (whatever that means), at the end of the day, they are still a commercial entity and it appears that the mythologizing the film has received is going to lead to a lot of sales.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Have they said anything about actually releasing 3rd World Cinema and not just platitudes? I'd really like to see some African offerings.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

I think it's self reflexive, as Criterion has become the Janus Films (and sort of 1970s New Line Cinema) of home video. Theatrical re-release and revival runs aren't common anymore, so home presentation is the next best thing. While taking film classes, a big percentage of screenings were via Criterion discs. They're not influencing outside of presentation quality, but rather acting as a quality distributor of important films.

You talk about institutionalized film classes and using these DVDs, but aren't we seeing an expansion of film education and film culture into the home with the extra material included on the DVDs (especially things like Criterion?). I think that is one benefit of Criterion (regardless of what you think about their influence on the canon) and there's a pretty good essay by Alison Trope in "Inventing Film Studies" about the role DVDs and home entertainment have played in re-situating film culture back into non-academic society, where it was before the shuffling of film studies into the cloistered realm of academia by the increasing focus on huge and comprehensive books in the early 1980s. And I don't mean to imply that the content included on these DVDs is sufficient to replace institutionalized study, just that it is a democratizing agent.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

LaptopGun posted:

Wasn't someone annoyed that this thread had turned into a glorified coupons thread?

That's what this thread still is basically, were it not for vertov starting an interesting thread of discussion and a handful of people addressing it.

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 21, 2009

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Friedpundit posted:

As a 19-year-old student of film, let me thrown in my two cents. I'm obviously not completely learned in film yet. Even though I average about one movie a day, I've only seen half an Ozu, one Truffaut, I haven't even touched Godard, etc. But thanks to the rise in DVDs I can take comfort in the fact that it's something I'll be able to get into eventually without too much trouble. Maybe this makes me a little lackadaisical in my studies. Breathless is instant on Netflix, and I still haven't watched it because it's something 'I'll get to eventually.'

What I really wanna say is that part of this new discourse no one's mentioned is the advent of movie channels on TV like Turner Classic Movies and IFC. Those channels were the basis of my education for 5 years. I discovered a ton of stuff through them and it really helped develop my love for movies without having to go to great lengths. If there was something I'd heard was 'good' I'd watch it. Sometimes, I'd watch the channels on a whim. I remember the night Mia Farrow guest hosted TCM and I watched her lineup on a whim because I liked her in The Purple Rose of Cairo . What she chose proved to be one of the most formative nights of my film life. The lineup was Rashomon, The Exterminating Angel, Fanny and Alexander and Raging Bull . I'd only heard of Raging Bull, but I watched the first two, then taped the latter two and watched them later. I loved all those films, I still do. Fanny and Alexander is still one of my favorite movies, Scorsese is still one of my favorite directors.

So yeah, I do agree that DVDs are wonderful for opening people up to film, but I think TV stations are just as important if not more. While a selection of DVDs lets you choose what you want, TV stations just throw things at you and let you watch at your leisure, which I think is great way to discover new movies.

Sorry for all the gushing.

Well, availability is all fine and good, but television screenings only provide the text. Nothing else. This is where DVDs and home entertainment are really re-democratizing film culture. No longer are you required to spend thousands of dollars to enroll in academic courses. Certainly the criticism provided on the DVDs is surface-level at best, but it is a jumping off point that is moving film study back from the exclusive halls of academia.

As a bit of an aside, and this is based on my anecdotal experience at my alma mater, but undergraduate film education at state universities is embarrassingly insufficient and continue to revolve around auteurism and national cinemas. If I have any advice for people looking to pursue an MA or PhD it is to buy anthologies like "Film Theory and Criticism" edited by Braudy and Cohen or the "Movies and Methods" volumes by Bill Nichols.

PS: vertov, I don't have platinum so I can't send IMs, but do you know of any popular culture conferences that would allow paper submissions?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Hey everyone! I bought a movie released on DVD by Criterion!

And I got a good price on it too!

Yeah, me too, I even double-dipped on it :argh: Criterion!!!

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Just picked up The Seven Samurai (Kurosawa, 1954) on Blu-Ray. Had to double-dip :doh:, but I feel like it was worth it (drat you Criterion :argh: ).

Edit: Forgot to say that it goes quite well with the katana sitting above my mantle :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Looking forward to picking up F For Fake (Welles, 1975) during the drat you Criterion :argh:

Edit: Oh for fucks sake I'll also have to go in on the AK 100 - 25 Films by Akira Kurosawa. My poor wallet :negative: