Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Criminal Minded posted:

Has the whole world gone mad? Am I the only person who just organizes alphabetically anymore?

I organize everything else alphabetically, but for Criterion it just feels more appropriate to go by director.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Oh poo poo, Gomorrah! I'm a sucker for gangster stuff, I loved Gomorrah.

That is one bizarre cover though. Strange that theyre not doing a blu-ray for A Christmas Tale, considering there's already a dvd out for it.

edit. Guess the dvd was a blockbuster exclusive, so nevermind that last statement.

zeroordie fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 15, 2009

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Got Playtime today... I'm watching the whole film tomorrow, but from a little skimming, this looks fantastic. Still not the big screen experience Tati intended, but it's like looking into a window.

I picked this up today as well. I'm watching it projected through a Sony 4k at a local theatre on Wednesday night, I'm super excited. I'm really curious to see how blu-ray holds up on a screen that big.

I skimmed a bit as well and was equally impressed, although I do have to say that I wish they had made the transfer from 65mm elements instead of 35mm though.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Y Tu Mama Tambien
Following
Everlasting Moments
Summer Hours
Hunger
Still Walking
The Secret of the Grain

Some interesting stuff I guess. Deep down I was hoping for The Pleasure of Being Robbed but I didn't really expect it to happen. I also wonder if they'll go after My Winnipeg at some point, to go along with Brand Upon the Brain!.

I've heard a lot about Summer Hours, so I'm looking forward to that title in particular as well as Hunger. This also makes you wonder which of these will be released on blu-ray as well, it's hard to tell after A Christmas Tale got the shaft.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm divided on snatching Ran, though. I've only seen three Kurosawa films: Rashomon (A+), Seven Samurai (A+), and The Hidden Fortress (blah). Is that enough of a track record making it worth it, even if just for resell?

I had only seen Rashomon (A+) when I picked it up and I absolutely love it. I definitely think it stands as one of Criterion's better values. The film is nothing short of a masterpiece with solid extras, a great transfer (holds up surprisingly well upscaled), good booklet, etc... It's definitely a very complete package and one I think a guy like you will get a lot out of. I'd also be curious to hear your thoughts on the film after you watch it. The only reason I see not to buy it is if there was hope of the blu-ray coming out soon. I don't think we have any real idea on if that will happen or not though, and at these prices you'll probably be able to resell without loosing anything.

I'm in the same boat with Nights of Cabiria. I've loved 8 1/2 for as long as I've been into film, I just somehow haven't gotten around to checking out the rest of his stuff yet.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

OK, ordered. Also decided not to be a douchebag and order 10 copies of The Third Man.

Although, I am tempted to do it just so I can resell at a fair price to one-up the jerks asking for $50.

If you don't like Ran I'll buy it from you and give it to a friend or something. I'm also torn on The Third Man; I've got the two disc dvd but can't decide if it's worth it to upgrade to the bd during this sale while I can.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Gah. Have any of you been able to find the Complete Monterey Pop set on blu-ray? It doesn't look like it's on their website and I couldn't find it in store either. That's one I'd debating grabbing (if I can find it).

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Went in store tonight and picked up The Third Man and For All Mankind bd's, along with Hoop Dreams. Total was right around $37.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to try and find the Complete Monterey Pop set at the only store that in town that seems to have it in stock. Thanks Magic Hate Ball for finding it on the web, I couldn't find it at all.

After that I'm going for Gomorrah and possibly Wings of Desire and that should be it, because I will be broke.

Also, I made friends with the csr that was working; he told me they're doing this sale again in the spring and are likely turning it into a twice-a-year sale.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Looks like IFC picked up the right's to Gaspar Noé's Enter the Void. Hopefully Criterion's partnership with IFC continues and they release a blu-ray/make my dreams come true.

In other news, I watched Downhill Racer a few weeks ago and can not wait to see the Olympics now. I was excited before, but now I'm chomping at the bit.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Blah. Watching how it appears that Lionsgate is going to handle their release of Ran, I don't trust them do justice to any of these titles.

Luckily there's only a few from this list that I really need to have. I was holding out for a Trafic blu-ray (I know it's not his best, but I still enjoy it) but I guess now I'll finally break down and pick it up.

Definitely on the fence for a few of these, like Le corbeau, for instance.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Eric Skillman released this image today for one of his upcoming Criterion covers, but removed the title treatment as the film hasn't been announced yet:

Click here for the full 511x720 image.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

cf.org nailed it: Carol Reed's Night Train to Munich

Yeah, good call. I checked over there first but looked in the wrong thread and missed that.

TheManWithNoName posted:

Got my Pierrot Le Fou bluray today, just in time I guess since Amazon has it at shipping in 10-14 days now.

My copy came freakishly fast. I ordered it on thursday afternoon, used free shipping, and it was at my house on Saturday. Now if only Criterion would hurry up with my Trafic/Diary of a Country Priest I'd be in business.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

https://www.deepdiscount.com has a 25%-off EXTRA sale going on, but it's also making Criterions almost as cheap as the discounted B&N sale! Best of all, no tax or shipping costs.

Most BluRays are marked down to $22-25. Che is $30 and the Yojimbo/Sanjuro set is $42.

Otherwise, they're still about $3 more than the eventual B&N 50%-off sale price, but might break even when the tax and S&H are figured in.

If you bought in store with a member coupon during the B&N sale, the Criterion BD's were $13. Nearly everything I'm searching for on DeepDiscount is $24.

DVDPlanet has really gone downhill too. It seems even with this sale most of the time they only tie amazon's pricing.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

The Lucas posted:

M. Hulot's Holiday on Blu is coming Via Criterion's Facebook.

I think I just came.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

Criterion seems to have stumped everyone with this.

I can say with 100% certainly it's not anything by Satyajit Ray. So far the best guess seems to be that it's a bonus feature for Darjeeling Limited.

That makes sense to me. I've noticed a lot of people freaking out about them doing color correction in Final Cut Pro, but they clearly have a timeline with editing in it, so I highly doubt they're working on an actual film in that shot.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Criminal Minded posted:

I have problems.

You and me both. I basically haven't bought any Criterions since the last sale, anticipating this one. I'm definitely going to buy around twelve titles, at least. It feels like Christmas, I'm so excited it's finally here.

Also, DD cancelled my Diary of a Chambermaid, those jerks.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Fag Boy Jim posted:

If you do get Yojimbo, you probably want the two-pack with Sanjuro, which I'm about 95% sure is cheaper than getting them separately. (Sanjuro is every bit as good as Yojimbo)

I definitely agree. From what I can tell though, it's the exact same price to buy them separately as it is to buy them together in this sale. Together you get a sweet box, though. I used an online new member coupon that took of 20% off, so my total was right around $28. Unfortunately, looks like they killed online coupons for the sale.

I recently re-watched Yojimbo and absolutely loved it. Just such a fun, stylized film; I can't wait to check it out on BD now. I definitely think they're the type of film most anybody can enjoy, particularly those who care about cinema.

As for this sale, I've been waiting since the last one to buy anything so I've been going all out. I'm in Hawaii visiting a friend right now. I swung by a FedEx and printed coupons off, tax here is only 4.7%, so I actually saved a bit versus buying them when I get back home. I'm also on the fence about Close Up, as well as Vivre sa vie.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

HOLY poo poo WHAT A MONTH!

Wow. The Magician on blu-ray, I am stupid excited for that. (and everything else being released, wow.)

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

LaptopGun posted:

Did anyone else notice that B&N coupons this time seem to exclude DVDs and/or other promotions during the Criterion sale period? This was online coupon codes anyway.

Yeah, after the first day they killed the online coupons. Luckily the $5 off in store coupon worked, which I used a few times...

I definitely went overboard, but I've been waiting for this sale for awhile. I've started watching a few of these...

Paris, Texas: I loved the aesthetics of it, but was a bit put off by the way the film completely abandons his brother Walt/Walt's wife Anne. They spend so much time building Travis and Walt's relationship, and then building Anne through the conversation where she goes on about how she doesn't know what she'd do if they lost the son. Then, they lose the son and we never see them again.. I still really liked it though.

Stagecoach: I'm not the biggest fan of Westerns and I'm definitely not very knowledgeable about them. That said, Stagecoach is a lot fun and this really is a great package. I particularly enjoyed the extra feature about the stuntmen.

Red Desert: A bit confusing, narratively, but I guess that's not really the point. I was quite blown away by the visual look of the film, something about the transfer really brought out the best in it. This is probably one of my most favorite blu-rays, visually, now. For some reason I just really loved the look of it.

Black Narcissus: Not a lot to say about this one, it's just one hell of a package. The film is perfectly complimented by a great transfer and extensive extras.

Che, Part One: I saw this in the theatre and have to say I was a bit surprised by the look of the blu-ray. I have distinct memories of the visual appearance being quite a bit stronger in the theatre, not quite as glossy and blown out. I could just be misremembering though. The black and white sequences were quite stunning, however. The making of documentary that's on the Part One disc is really, really good. It's about fifty minutes long and is quite depressing to watch, as all of the principal talent involved in creating the film seem to feel that it never really got a fair chance. Soderbergh goes as far as saying something along the lines of, "I once believed that cinema was important to our culture and actually mattered... I don't really think that anymore." Pretty interesting stuff, way more thorough than your typical making-of clip.

Revanche: I was totally blown away by Revanche. I really had no idea of what to expect going into it, but I haven't stopped thinking about it since I watched it a week ago.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

The BBS set does't have its own spine number. Out of curiosity, when did they stop giving box sets spine numbers?

Some of the gift sets don't have spine numbers, see here for more.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

I watched The Magician this morning projected through a decent system at school. One hell of a transfer. Occasional dirt, but for the most part it was a bit overwhelming to the see film looking so pristine.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Origami Dali, I believe that's just on certain coupons. There's a decent chance I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that there's still a few general use coupons floating around. I wouldn't be surprised to see that change across the board soon, though. Unfortunately, they've done away with the $5 off coupon that was the real meat and potatoes of the past Criterion sales.

The sale is live now; some titles don't show the discount but I've found that adding them to your cart usually fixes that. For the time being, there are two 15% off codes you can use online:

L7C8F9D
T9P8A9P

They're each one-time use only. BN disabled coupons early in the last sale, so act swiftly as they're likely to do so again.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Sporadic posted:

Yay, my Red Desert showed up today. :)
Boo, my Red Desert has an indent that slightly ripped the art. :(

Barnes And Noble uses the shittiest shipping packaging possible. It was my movie in the equivalent of a cardboard sleeve.

Everything I've gotten has been the same. Absolutely ridiculous. My Nikkatsu Noir box was completely mangled. Definitely thinking twice about ordering anything online.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

20% off one item at BN for members. WOOOO.

Coupon can be found here. If you want to use it online, the code is: L3C9C3K. Expires July 25th. (the online one works until 3am on the 26th, technically.)

This knocks blurays to just under $15 pre-tax. I'm trying to restrain myself, but it is not working.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

zandert33 posted:

An improved transfer and a ton of bonus features. There is no reason to buy the older release unless you can get it for really cheap and just don't care.

Also, if you order it directly from Amazon instead of a third party seller the new release is actually $5 cheaper.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Edit. ^^ What he said.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What's the general opinion on these?

The Lady Vanishes and Army of Shadows are essential titles. Incredible films, near-perfect editions.

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

I'm considering World On A Wire, Bigger Than Life, and Three Colors before the sale stops; if I did Fanny & Alexander, would I be alright with the smaller theatrical release they have, or should I spring for the bigger set?

Spring for the bigger set. The television cut is superior in every way and completely worth the extra time and money investment.

I (as always) have bought way more than I planned to. Already. At least I have the overlapping sale excuse this time. Thusfar:

12 Angry Men
The 39 Steps
Czech Pearls (Eclipse)
David Lean directs Noel Coward
The Gold Rush
Letter Never Sent
Samurai Trilogy
Shallow Grave
Summer Interlude
Summer with Monika
World on a Wire

I'm still going to grab a few things, probably Three Outlaw Samurai, Harold & Maude, and a random title or two. It's the most wonderful time of the year, part one.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

robix smash posted:

I remember a warning from last year that even though some of the later November titles were initially marked down (Rushmore in particular, which came out the day after the sale ended), they didn't honor the mistake and charged people the full amount. So be careful with preorders if they're marked down. Be careful with box sets too, because B&N shipped my Fanny & Alexander in a thin plastic mailer instead of a box and the coverbox got all dinged up.

I ordered a few things that were accidentally marked down for the first few hours of the last November sale (Rushmore, Belle de Jour (which released in January), and one other I can't remember) and I was charged the sale price correctly.

Also, I had an Eclipse set damaged in shipping from BN, so I found that title in a local store and went and traded it in for the undamaged set. BN needs to learn how to package things if they don't want to eat the cost of replacing them. As long as you have the packaging slip and the product it shouldn't be a problem at all. I probably wouldn't order just a box set anymore. In the most recent sale I ordered a few box sets on one order (when the b2g1 free stacked) and it all came together in a sturdy box.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

IMHO The Man Who Fell To Earth and The Leopard are both interesting in different ways but could barely hold my attention.

Couldn't disagree more. Man Who Fell to Earth is a personal favorite for me. Blind bought it in a sale when the DVD came out, loved it then, still love it now.

Also, there's a ton on sale at Best Buy and Amazon.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

penismightier posted:

Is it true you still get commercials on Hulu+? I'm thinking about getting an account but that really turns me off.

You get commercials on tv shows but not on movies. I've watched quite a few and I've definitely never seen a commercial on a Criterion.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

I got a 20% off coupon in my email. I printed and used it to buy Shoah.

Not only did the coupon work no question asked... but it inexplicably took 50% off instead of 20%, making the total $22. :aaaaa:

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

friendo55 posted:

I've actually wanted to get into that as a career but don't really know where to turn or where to begin. I've tried emailing the George Eastman House with no reply, and the folks at Criterion said just to send in a resume - but with no experiencr I don't know how much good that'll do.

One option is going back to school for it. My wife got her Masters Degree in Moving Image Archiving and Preservation from NYU and has worked with places like George Eastman House, Library of Congress, MoMA, etc. UCLA also has a program, as does some school in London I can't remember. I will say they did almost no actual film restoration during the program, mostly focusing on archival duties. It's a tough job market out there. I'd be happy to chat or give you more information if you'd like.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Pappyland posted:

I'm interested in finding out more! (Though it appears that you have PMs turned off?)

friendo55 posted:

Although, similar to Pappyland, it seems your PMs are turned off. We could chat through email?

Yeah I don't have PMs, sorry about that! My gmail is: tasog37.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

The guy under the clock looks like Hans Hirschmueller in The Merchant of Four Seasons, which played on a newly restored DCP in NY last June.