Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The old thread didn't come up in a search, so let's start a new one.

The new newsletter says "MORE OLIVIER... NOW IN EXOTIC FLANNELS!" I don't know if the "flannels" refers to the Olivier or if it's something else.

And this might interest vertov: Guy Maddin lists his 10 favorite Criterion DVDs:

1. Forbidden Games (René Clément)
2. Day of Wrath (Carl Theodor Dreyer)
3. Umberto D. (Vittorio De Sica)
4. Grey Gardens (Maysles brothers)
5. Pandora’s Box (G. W. Pabst)
6. I vitelloni (Federico Fellini)
7. Ivan the Terrible, Parts I & II (Sergei Eisenstein)
8. Black Narcissus (Michael Powell)
9. Written on the Wind (Douglas Sirk)
10. Häxan (Benjamin Christensen)

Kind of a blah selection, if you ask me. Some good movies there, but none that I would count among my favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

TheSwami posted:

Hey, Ivan the Terrible. I've always wanted to see that. Has anyone else seen it? Is it worth shelling out for the Criterion?

It's Eisenstein, so there's a lot of stunning images. But plotwise it's on the slow and boring side.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#364: Monsters and Madmen

Launching us from a grave past to a space-age future, these two thrilling double features, from producers Richard and Alex Gordon, spin classic tales of hair-raising homicidal mania and intrepid, death-defying exploration.

The Haunted Strangler

Corridors of Blood

The Atomic Submarine

First Man Into Space

Special Features

FOUR-DISC SPECIAL EDITION SET FEATURES:

• The Haunted Strangler and Corridors of Blood
• New, restored high-definition digital transfers
• Audio commentaries by Richard Gordon, with additional comments from Alex Gordon on The Haunted Strangler
• New video interviews with directo Robert Day and costars Francis Matthews and Yvonne Romain (Corridors of Blood) and screenwriter Jan Read, and costars Jean Kent and Vera Day (Strangler)
• Deleted scenes
• Original theatrical trailers and radio spots
• Stills galleries featuring production and publicity photographs
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• PLUS: A booklet featuring Fangoria’s 1984 interview with producer John Croydon about Karloff, and a new essay by Maitland McDonagh

• The Atomic Submarine and First Man into Space
• New, restored high-definition digital transfers
• Audio commentaries by producer Alex Gordon and writer Tom Weaver (The Atomic Submarine) and producer Richard Gordon and Weaver (First Man into Space)
• New video interviews with actor Brett Halsey (Submarine) and director Robert Day and costar Marla Landi (Space)
• Original theatrical trailers and radio spots
• Stills galleries featuring production and publicity photographs
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by Bruce Eder and Michael Lennick

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Lotta January releases to talk about, let's get started. First, the cover art for the aforementioned Monsters and Madmen (#364):

And the finalized specs:

FOUR-DISC SPECIAL EDITION SET FEATURES:

DISC ONE: The Haunted Strangler, Corridors of Blood
* New, restored high-definition digital transfers
* Audio commentaries by Richard Gordon and Weaver on both films, with additional comments from Alex Gordon on The Haunted Strangler
* New video interviews with Day and costars Francis Matthews and Yvonne Romain (Corridors of Blood) and Day, screenwriter Jan Read, and costars Jean Kent and Vera Day (Strangler) Deleted scenes
* Original theatrical trailers and radio spots
* Stills galleries featuring production and publicity photographs
* Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
* PLUS: A booklet featuring Fangoria’s 1984 interview with producer John Croydon about Karloff, and a new essay by Maitland McDonagh

DISC TWO: The Atomic Submarine, First Man into Space
* New, restored high-definition digital transfers
* Audio commentaries by producer Alex Gordon and writer Tom Weaver (The Atomic Submarine) and producer Richard Gordon and Weaver (First Man into Space)
* New video interviews with actor Brett Halsey (Submarine) and director Robert Day and costar Marla Landi (Space)
* Original theatrical trailers and radio spots
* Stills galleries featuring production and publicity photographs
* PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by Bruce Eder and Michael Lennick

Disc One is spine #365, Disc Two is spine #366

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#362: Border Radio

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer supervised and approved by director of photography Dean Lent and codirector Kurt Voss
* Two audio commentaries: one with codirectors Allison Anders and Voss, and one with actors Luanna Anders, Dave Alvin, Chris D., John Doe, and Chris Shearer
* The Making of "Border Radio", a 2002 documentary featuring interviews with Anders, Lent, Voss, Doe, and Chris D.
* Nine deleted scenes
* Music video of the Flesh Eaters’ “The Wedding Dice”
* Stills gallery featuring rare behind-the-scenes photos
* Theatrical trailer and radio spot
* PLUS: New essays by music journalist and critic Chris Morris

The cast is interesting and it's nice to see another female director get represented, but nothing else about this release intrigues. An ultra-low iMDB score is usually a bad sign.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#52: Yojimbo

Available individually or as part of the Yojimbo/Sanjuro collector's set!

* All-new, restored high-definition digital transfer
* Optional Dolby Digital 3.0 soundtrack, preserving the original Perspecta simulated-stereo effects
* Audio commentary by film historian and Kurosawa scholar Stephen Prince
* A 45-minute documentary on the making of Yojimbo, created as part of the Toho Masterworks series Akira Kurosawa: It Is Wonderful to Create
* Theatrical trailer and teaser
* Stills gallery of behind-the-scenes photos
* New and improved English subtitle translation

New transfer, nice extras, Kurosawa... sold.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#53: Sanjuro

Available individually or as part of the Yojimbo/Sanjuro collector's set!

* All-new, restored high-definition digital transfer
* Optional Dolby Digital 3.0 soundtrack, preserving the original Perspecta simulated-stereo effects
* Audio commentary by film historian and Kurosawa scholar Stephen Prince
* A 35-minute documentary on the making of Sanjuro, created as part of the Toho Masterworks series Akira Kurosawa: It Is Wonderful to Create
* Theatrical trailer and teaser
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Michael Sragow and notes and statements from Kurosawa and his cast and crew

Again, sold. I guess I'll get the double-feature collector's set.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#363: Mouchette

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer
* Audio commentary by renowned film scholar, critic, and festival programmer Tony Rayns
* Au hasard Bresson, a half-hour documentary about the director, including behind-the-scenes footage of Robert Bresson directing Mouchette
* “Traveling,” a segment from the cine-magazine TV series Cinéma, featuring on-set interviews with Bresson and actors Nadine Nortier and Jean-Claude Guilbert
* Original theatrical trailer, cut by Jean-Luc Godard
* Plus: A new essay by writer Robert Polito

Criterion's got my number in January. Very depressing film, even for Bresson, but an excellent one.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Small art for the Yojimbo/Sanjuro box:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

ReginaldWonder posted:

I have now seen true beauty.

Defintely getting that, but one question why are there guns on the Yojimbo cover? I don't recall there being a gun in the movie, but it's been a long time since I watched it (even though it's my favorite Kurosawa).

There is a prominent pistol in Yojimbo, but I think only one.

larger image of the box:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

jimmynmu posted:

One man in a pretty important role has a pistol. woops beaten

Is the new Brazil single disc worth getting over the non criterion version? I'm always on a tight budget so unless the image is much better or there are worthwhile extras I'll probably get the boring version.

I haven't seen the cheaper edition, but Criterion's new transfer should be superior. DVDBeaver might have comparison shots. Also you get a Gilliam commentary, he always gives good commentary.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

rgaitan posted:

I'm wondering why there are no Sidney Lumet films in the Criterion collection? They can't deem to suggest that Dog Day Afternoon and Network aren't significant.

As Cacator said, they can't just release any film they want to. They have to acquire the rights. They did release one Lumet on laserdisc, however: 12 Angry Men.

rgaitan posted:

Is there anywhere that I can find the movies that are being added farther ahead than January?

Not really, but occasionally someone at HomeTheaterForum.com or criterionforum.org will get an inside tip.

Cacator: my library just got Clean, Shaven - I'll be putting it on hold sometime soon.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

don posted:

amazing film. I'd never heard of Edward Yang until this and I'll definitely check out more.

I need to rent the Criterion and watch this again. I was fairly underwhelmed the first time, but I feel a second viewing would be more favorable. I've also seen A Brighter Summer Day and didn't care for that one either.

However, if you like Yi Yi, chances are you'll like the films of Hsiao-Hsien Hou.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

WaitsUp posted:

What film is this from? I'm trying my hardest to recognize it.

I dunno about this hurf/durf take on it, but the original love/hate scene is from Night of the Hunter (later paid homage to in Do the Right Thing).

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

When a Woman Ascends the Stairs - Never seen any Naruse, but I'm curious. I swear I had this video out from the library at the some point, perhaps I imagined it. vertov, your comments are intriguing... weren't you hyping Naruse yourself some time ago? Again, maybe I imagined it.

49th Parallel - I can usually sit through a P&P film and get something out of it, but I don't get excited for them.

Paul Robeson box - Well, he's got a heck of a voice, but I've never seen him act. This is possibly the weirdest entry in the Criterion catalog.

The Bicycle Thief - I've seen it three times and I feel like that's enough. A possible rental at some future date, but unlikely.

Green for Danger - Never heard of it, but it sounds like my cup of tea.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 17, 2006

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

vertov posted:

Yeah, it was probably just that one guy on cf (Michael Kerpan I think?). He's really obnoxious about his presumed expertise in all things Japanese cinema, which basically amounts to turning every conversation into one about Ozu or Naruse.

Hmm, that's probably it.

Here's the cover:

Not far off from the VHS cover:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

vertov posted:

there's a certain amount of smugness that goes with "oh, it's too bad you haven't seen Floating Cloads, but I assure you it's sublime."

God yes, this drives me up the wall... and the worst is when I catch myself doing it. It's always the movies that no one else has seen that are the greatest films ever made (or the one you saw before everyone else, or the one you saw at the OMG ALAMO DRAFTHOUSE while holding hands with Quentin Tarantino).

I confess that when I do poo poo like this, there is a certain amount of smugness to it. But there's also a genuine desire to get people excited about a movie that excited me. I hope that's what motivates others, and not just elitist "I've seen this amazing film you never heard of neener neener".

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

My Double Life of Veronique just arrived. I probably won't get a chance to watch it until the weekend, but the packaging is gorgeous.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

According to the Criterion blog:

They have renewed the rights to Salo and are working on a new transfer. Coming 2007.

Other early titles will be re-released, about 3-4 a year. It's worded a bit ambiguously, but possibly Shock Corridor and Andrei Rublev will be among them.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Cover art for 49th Parallel:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Review of Pandora's Box from DVDFile. "Looking for Lulu" is on it.

and the DVDBeaver review

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Og Oggilby posted:

Criterion Newsletter hints at five Ingmar Bergman films coming next year... pre-The Seventh Seal. Also, there's a nifty contest. :)

Goddamnit, why haven't I been getting my newsletter?

Five early Bergmans, huh? Here's what I'd guess:

Sawdust and Tinsel
Summer with Monika
Summer Interlude
To Joy

5th one is a wild card... it'd be nice if it was one of the ones I haven't seen yet though.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

http://www.criterionco.com/decblast/decblast.html

quote:

This year at Criterion, we’ve had a lot of great releases, and we’re already looking forward to what 2007 will bring. There are many treasures in store for the new year, including some of our latest acquisitions, such as John Huston’s Under the Volcano, and titles from our laserdisc days, like Robinson Crusoe on Mars.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

vertov posted:

There's a new blog entry that gives some information on the new Eclipse imprint.

http://www.criterionco.com/blog/index.html

Hmm, mixed feelings. I like the general concept, the low price, and of course I'm super-jazzed for more Bergman. No supplements and no full restorations, though... that's a bummer.

Overall, I'm pretty happy about it, and looking forward to new discoveries.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Os Furoris posted:

Is it just me or is their a severe lack of Latin American and African films in the Collection? Latin America in particular has some classics that have never been released on DVD, yet Criterion keeps pumping out European, American, and Japanese stuff by the same predictable directors. I realize my pet interests have nothing to do with their buisness model but drat, they're really letting me down on some great stuff that has no US release.

No, you're absolutely right. They could definitely branch out more. I'm kind of hoping the Eclipse line will grow to more than 3-5 titles a month and start to fill in the gaps where Criterion is lacking. We really need more R1 companies devoted to restoring/releasing this kind of stuff.

Out of curiosity, I counted the Criterion catalog by country of origin:

USA - 91 (24%)
France - 85 (23%)
UK - 51 (14%)
Japan - 42 (11%)
Italy - 30 (8%)
Sweden - 22 (6%)
Germany - 12 (3%)

With the rest filled out by mostly European countries. 1 from Iran, 1 from Jamaica, 2 from Mexico.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Exree posted:

What is Eclipse? Is it a Criterion competitor?

Read the link that vertov posted.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

March is FitFortMotherfuckingDanga month at Criterion, according to HTF:

quote:

March 13, 2007
Fires On The Plain (Kon Ichikawa)

The Burmese Harp (Kon Ichikawa)

March 20, 2007:
The Naked City (Jules Dassin)

Eclipse:

March 27, 2007
Early Bergman: Eclipse Series 1

5-Disc set includes: Torment, Crisis, Port Of Call, Thirst and To Joy

I think my ballsack just exploded. Two AWESOME Ichikawas (please please please do An Actor's Revenge soon, though!). An American film noir by the director of Rififi. To Joy, one of my favorite early Bergmans... and FOUR Bergmans I've never seen before!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Here we go, specs and covers:

#378 - Fires on the Plain

* New video introduction by Japanese film scholar Donald Richie
* New video interviews with director Kon Ichikawa and actor Mickey Curtis
* Original theatrical trailer
* PLUS: A new essay by film critic Chuck Stephens

#379 - The Burmese Harp

* New video interviews with director Kon Ichikawa and actor Rentaro Mikuni
* Original theatrical trailer
* PLUS: A new essay by renowned critic and historian Tony Rayns

#380 - The Naked City

* Audio commentary by screenwriter Malvin Wald
* An analysis of the film�s New York locations by Celluloid Skyline author James Sanders
* A new video interview with NYU film professor Dana Polan
* Footage of Jules Dassin from his 2003 appearance at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art
* Theatrical trailer
* Stills gallery
* PLUS: A new essay by Luc Sante

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 18, 2006

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I don't like to bitch about cover art that much, but I'm really hating that "C" logo. It's so intrusive.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

http://www.image-entertainment.com/dvd/detail.cfm?productID=63132

The pre-order price on this at Amazon is $48.99. That's less than $10 a movie!

Criminal Minded posted:

My Dinner with Andre

Pardon me while I do backflips in my living room. :dance: I've wanted to see this one forever.

They seem to show it on cable quite frequently, FYI. I forget which channel, maybe Flix. Anyway, how old is that review? I haven't heard anything about a Criterion Andre lately, but since they already did a Malle box, it's certainly not out of the question.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Click

Criterion's one-sheet for the Bergman box. It's got the individual covers on there. I really like the simple design and I hope they keep it consistent for the whole Eclipse line.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Bah, beaten by 20 minutes!

La Haine: been wanting to see this for a long time, actually the previous release is already in my Netflix queue.

Overlord: I know nothing about this or its director.

Brute Force: The only Dassin movie I've seen so far is Rififi, but I'm interested in all the others.

So three entirely new ones for me, that's pretty cool.

The people at criterionforum.org are speculating from a recent blog that Eclipse Series 2 will be Louis Malle documentaries, but I haven't seen any real evidence to support that.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Also, the newsletter apparently (I'm STILL not getting mine, argh!) hints at an upcoming release of San Soleil, possibly with La Jetee, and maybe even 12 Monkeys. The current disc for 12 Monkeys is pretty excellent, although Criterion does have a relationship with Gilliam so it's not out of the question.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Triphos posted:

It's pretty explicit in the blog.

Jeez. That's what I get for only skimming the blog. Thanks for pointing that out.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

vertov posted:

It was featured in the Z-Channel documentary.

Ah okay, I thought it sounded familiar but I couldn't place it.

vertov posted:

edit - Tower Records is having a sale on some Criterion titles right now.

If they have any left, they've been doing out-of-business sales for months now. I was at the Lincoln Park Tower Records in Chicago around Thanksgiving and the DVD section was looking mighty lean.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I was going to post the covers, but WaffleImages seems to be having problems. Here's the specs, though:

#381: La Haine

* New English-language audio commentary by writer-director Mathieu Kassovitz
* Optional Dolby Digital 5.1 track
* Video introduction by Jodie Foster
* Social Dynamite, a new video featurette on the film’s banlieue setting, including interviews with sociologists Sophie Body-Gendrot, Jeffrey Fagan, and William Kornblum
* Theatrical trailers
* PLUS: A new essay by film scholar Ginette Vincendeau and notes by acclaimed director Costa-Gavras
* and MORE!!

#382: Overlord

* Audio commentary featuring director Stuart Cooper and actor Brian Stirner
* Mining the Archive, a new video featuring Imperial War Museum film archivists detailing the war footage used in the film
* “Capa Influences Cooper,” a new photo essay featuring Cooper on photographer Robert Capa
* Cameramen at War, the British Ministry of Information’s 1943 film tribute to newsreel and service film unit cameramen
* Germany Calling, a 1941 British Ministry of Information propaganda film, clips of which appear in Overlord
* Journals from two D-day soldiers, read by Brian Stirner Theatrical trailer
* English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
* PLUS: A new essay by critic Kent Jones, a short history of the Imperial War Museum, and excerpts from the Overlord novelization, by Cooper and Christopher Hudson

#383: Brute Force

* Audio commentary by film noir specialists Alain Silver and James Ursini
* A new interview with Paul Mason, author of Capturing the Media: Prison Discourse in Popular Culture
* Theatrical trailer
* Stills gallery
* PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by film critic Michael Atkinson, and more!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Some details about the Malle documentary set (Eclipse Series 2)

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

MrGrieves posted:

I think I'm most excited about the two Kon Ichikawa films being released, The Burmese Harp and Fires on the Plain. Has anybody heard any rumors or speculation that Criterion will continue releasing Ichikawa's films, particularly An Actor's Revenge, which is one of the best movies I've seen that remains unavailable on DVD?

I haven't heard anything, but An Actor's Revenge would be extremely welcome. There is a region 2 DVD of it, I think.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

From the Criterion website:

quote:

When we released Jim Jarmusch's Down by Law a few years back, the "Ask Jim" feature was so popular that we've decided to do it again. We are currently working on a special edition DVD of Jarmusch's Night on Earth, and we're wondering what questions about the film you would like to have answered on the DVD. We can't guarantee Jarmusch will answer all (or any) of your questions, but if you have some, please send them to: noe@criterion.com.

We will be accepting your questions through February 19. Please do not send any personal requests; they will not be answered. Please do send thoughtful and creative questions, as many as you like. Remember to include your full name, city, state, and country of residence. Thanks for participating and look out for the Night on Earth on DVD this fall!