Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Og Oggilby posted:

I guess this means Berlin Alexanderplatz?

It must. Some people are gonna be very happy about this. I'm not a big Fassbinder fan, but I need to check out more of his work. I've heard great things about this one.

Hollywood Reporter confirms that "Future releases in the Eclipse line include rarely seen films from Kenji Mizoguchi, Mikio Naruse, Yasujiro Ozu and Raymond Bernard." I wonder if the Mizoguchi set will be early stuff, or more canonical titles like Sansho and Oharu. Either way, that's a definite purchase for me.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 10, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

5/15/07: Shohei Imamura's Vengeance is Mine. I've seen a couple of Imamura films, and wasn't especially blown away, but of course I'll watch this one anyway. Stars Ken Ogata, who was excellent in Mishima.

5/15/07: Jean-Pierre Melville's Army of Shadows, in a 2-disc special edition. This ought to make some folks happy. I missed the recent theatrical release, but I'll definitely check out the DVD.

5/22/07: Kenji Mizoguchi's Sansho the Bailiff. One of Mizoguchi's best, really looking forward to this one.

Also, David Ehrenstein posted at criterionforum.org that he's written the liner notes for a Criterion release of If.... Not one of my favorites, but I'll give it another look.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#384: Vengeance is Mine

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer
* Excerpts from a video interview with Shohei Imamura, produced by the Directors Guild of Japan
* Theatrical trailer and teaser
* New and improved English subtitle translation
* PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Michael Atkinson, a 1994 interview with Imamura by writer Toichi Nakata, and writings from Imamura on Vengeance Is Mine and his approach to filmmaking

#385: Army of Shadows

* SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES
* New high-definition digital transfer of the recent full restoration, supervised by director of photography Pierre Lhomme
* Optional Dolby Digital Stereo 2.0 soundtrack
* Audio commentary by Jean-Pierre Melville historian Ginette Vincendeau
* New interviews with Lhomme and editor Françoise Bonnot
* Archival excerpts from French television programs, including on-set footage from the film’s production and interviews with Melville; actors Jean-Pierre Cassel, Paul Crauchet, Paul Meurisse, and Simone Signoret; writer Joseph Kessel; and real-life Resistance fighters André Dewavrin (a.k.a. Colonel Passy) and Lucie Aubrac, among others
* Jean-Pierre Melville et "L'Armée des ombres" (2006), a short documentary including interviews with Bonnot, Lhomme, Cassel, composer Eric Demarsan, writer and filmmaker Philippe Labro, and filmmaker Bertrand Tavernier
* Le journal de la Résistance (1944), a rare short documentary shot on the front lines of the final days of the French Resistance
* Film restoration demonstration by Lhomme
* Theatrical trailers
* PLUS: A booklet featuring critic Amy Taubin, historian Robert Paxton, and excerpts from Rui Nogueira’s Melville on Melville
* More!

#386: Sansho the Bailiff

* Audio commentary by Japanese-literature professor Jeffrey Angles
* New video interviews with critic Tadao Sato, assistant director Tokugo Tanaka, and legendary actress Kyoko Kagawa on the making of the film and its lasting importance
* PLUS: A book featuring a new essay by scholar Mark Le Fanu; the story on which the film was based, Mori Ogai’s “Sansho dayu,” from 1915, in an acclaimed translation by J. Thomas Rimer; and a written form of an oral variation of the same tale, dating back to the fifteenth century, in a rare English translation

#64: The Third Man (re-release)

* Video introduction by writer-director Peter Bogdanovich
* Audio commentary by film scholar Dana Polan
* Shadowing "The Third Man", a ninety-minute 2005 feature documentary on the making of the film
* Abridged recording of Graham Greene’s treatment, read by actor Richard Clarke
* The Third Man on the radio: the 1951 “A Ticket to Tangiers” episode of The Lives of Harry Lime series, written and performed by Orson Welles; and the 1951 Lux Radio Theatre adaptation of The Third Man
* Illustrated production history with rare behind-the-scenes photos, original UK press book, and U.S. trailer
* Actor Joseph Cotten’s alternate opening voiceover narration for the U.S. version
* Archival footage and photos of postwar Vienna
* A look at the untranslated foreign dialogue in the film
* PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by Luc Sante, Charles Drazin, and Philip Kerr
* More!

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 16, 2007

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Someone emailed Criterion and got confirmation that If... is to be released in June.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

vertov posted:

Yet another newsletter, this one about eclipse. The third set will be more of Ozu's post-'Banshun' films, with five titles in all.

Oh god, I bet the criterionforum people are geeking out right now. Although I imagine they're lamenting that these aren't getting the full Criterion treatment.

I've seen Early Summer and Late Spring, but never Early Spring or Late Autumn (drat you, Ozu, drat you and your confusing titles). And I've seen the other three films in this box mentioned many times. I'm not really an Ozu fanatic, but his stuff is pleasant. And I adore Setsuko Hara.

I'd kill for any decent presentation of Satyajit Ray (they have ZERO Indian films in the collection), but mostly I'd like to be exposed to more new stuff, like the Raymond Bernard.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 24, 2007

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Og Oggilby posted:

Looks like Paramount also licensed Fuller's White Dog and Bergman's Face to Face.

Face to Face is a middling Bergman IMO, but it's a nice showcase for Liv Ullmann. I'm hoping for the complete televised version... it may well be an improvement over the one I've seen.

vertov posted:

They (Criterion) are apparently in talks with UCSC over some Ray titles. I actually didn't know that UCSC was the North American rights holder, but I think the MoC edition of 'Abhijan' also used elements from their library, so maybe that is the case. Sony had released some of Ray's films in the past (both on VHS and DVD), which I think were from the Merchant Ivory restorations.

Yeah, UCSC seems to be heavily involved with keeping Ray's work alive. I stumble across their website a lot.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 24, 2007

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Cacator posted:

Well DeepDiscount doesn't ship to Canada anymore so gently caress them. I need some recommendations, however: What is better for a blind buy, The Man Who Fell to Earth, Man Bites Dog, or Night and the City? I'm not really that familiar with Roeg (I've seen part of Don't Look Now) or the guys who did Man Bites Dog, and the only Dassin I've seen is The Naked City (decent, not noirish enough for my taste), but I'm in the mood for something different.

I wouldn't say any of those three is a good blind buy, but Night and the City would be my preference.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Zisky posted:

Does anybody hate some of the earlier Criterion releases?

I just picked up In the Mood For Love. The transfer and audio are pretty good, but the DVD menus were thrown together shoddily (enough that it makes navigation uncomfortable) and the packing was subpar at best.

On top of that, the subtitles were severely lacking. There were a couple of missed captions and poorly translated phrases.

I just watched Black Narcissus, and there was often an incredibly annoying flicker to it, as if someone was slowly turning the contrast up and down a little bit.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The newsletter reveals nothing except a confirmation of Ace in the Hole. Allegedly the June titles will be announced sometime today.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

D'oh, beaten!

I loving HATE Sweet Movie with a white-hot passion. It's sophomoric, "let's see how many buttons we can push" crap. Still, I might rent it just to see what Makavejev has to say for himself. Also I've wanted to see WR out of morbid curiosity (and because it's on the "They Shoot Pictures, Don't They?" list).

The Two of Us: I'm not crazy about Michel Simon, but it looks interesting.

Won't mind seeing If... again, and really looking forward to a Malcolm McDowell commentary track.

Frankly, I think La Jetée is a touch overrated, but I've wanted to see San Soleil for some time.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

-BigEvil- posted:

I've been wanting to see Drunken Angel forever.

Same here. It's one of the few "major" Kurosawas I have yet to see. If they released Record of a Living Being and No Regrets For My Youth, I'd be all set. I tried watching the import Drunken Angel (on Mei Ah, I think) but the subtitles were too horrid to withstand.

edit:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Slackerish posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm prettty sure that if you stop the movie right after they float out of the bed into the sky you get the Love Conquers all ending. They may have cut out other stuff before that though, I dunno.

Oh ho ho. That's only the tip of the iceberg, my man.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

quote:

* You don't see the guard on fire when the Police vehicle crashes during the chase.

This is the worst one, IMO. In Gilliam's cut, this scene is a condemnation of the kind of reckless, "heroic" stuff you usually see in the movies, where the lives of the "bad guys" are easily dispensible. The "LCA" cut transforms the scene into the exact thing it was supposed to be condemning.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Someone wrote to them about Max Ophuls and got this response:

quote:

We will be releasing an Ophuls box in late 2007/early 2008. It will contain several films, including The Earring of Madame de... and Le Plaisir.
I hope that helps.

Sweet. I've only seen one Ophuls (Leibelei) but it was very nice. I know that he was one of Kubrick's favorite directors.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Nothing new there, but they finally made a website for Eclipse.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

July titles!

#392-395: THREE FILMS BY HIROSHI TESHIGAHARA

* SPECIAL FOUR-DISC SET FEATURES INCLUDE:
* New, restored high-definition digital transfers
* Video essays on all three films by critic and festival programmer James Quandt
* Four short films by Hiroshi Teshigahara: Hokusai (1953), Ikebana (1956), Tokyo 1958 (1958), and Ako/White Morning (1963)
* A new documentary about the working relationship beween Teshigahara and Kobo Abe, including interviews with Japanese-film scholars Donald Richie and Tadao Sato
* PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by James Quandt, Howard Hampton, Audie Bock, and Peter Grilli and Max Tessier’s 1964 interview with Teshigahara

Very exciting, and those covers are beautiful. I've only seen Woman in the Dunes, but it's awesome. I may blind-buy this.

More to come, gimme a sec...

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#396 - ACE IN THE HOLE

* Audio commentary by film scholar Neil Sinyard
* Portrait of a "60% Perfect Man": Billy Wilder, a 1980 documentary featuring in-depth interviews with Wilder by film critic Michel Ciment
* Excerpts from a 1986 appearance by Wilder at the American Film Institute
* Excerpts from an audio interview with co-screenwriter Walter Newman
* Theatrical trailer
* PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by film critic Molly Haskell and filmmaker Guy Maddin

Wilder is hit-or-miss with me, but I'll certainly give this a rental. Criterion's new design is really intrusive on this cover.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#397 - IVAN'S CHILDHOOD

* Video appreciation of filmmaker Andrei Tarkovsky and Ivan’s Childhood, featuring Vida T. Johnson, coauthor of The Films of Andrei Tarkovsky: A Visual Fugue New video interviews with cinematographer Vadim Yusov and actor Nikolai Burlyaev
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Dina Iordanova and new translations, by Robert Bird, of "Between Two Films," Andrei Tarkovsky’s essay about Ivan’s Childhood, and "Ivan’s Willow," a poem by the director's father, Arseny Tarkovsky

Didn't see this one coming. Mildly interested in this one, but again, Tarkovsky is hit-or-miss.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#398 - LES ENFANTS TERRIBLES

* Audio commentary by writer, film critic, and journalist Gilbert Adair
* Interviews with producer Carole Weisweiller, actors Nicole Stéphane and Jacques eBrnard, and assistant director Claude Pinoteau
* Around Jean Cocteau (2003), a short video by filmmaker discussing Cocteau and Melville's working relationship
* Theatrical trailer
* Gallery of behind-the-scenes stills
* PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Gary Indiana and an excerpt from Rui Nogueira’s Melville on Melville

Cocteau and Melville? Sign me up. Nice feature set too.

Teshigahara, Wilder, Tarkovsky, and Melville. Any way you slice it, that's a killer month for Criterion.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 17, 2007

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Also in the newsletter: Tokyo Olympiad is going out of print. You may think you wouldn't like a 3-hour documentary about the Olympics, but Kon Ichikawa makes it a thoroughly compelling experience.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Triphos posted:

I'm more or less getting it because I just saw F for Fake and loved it, and blind buying the other two.

General Idi Amin Dada is a fine movie, but chances are you will watch it once and never touch it again. Honeymoon Killers is fun if you like campy, John Waters-ish stuff.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#399 - House of Games

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES:

• New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised by director of photography Juan Ruiz Anchia
• Audio commentary by director David Mamet and consultant and actor Ricky Jay
• New video interviews with actors Lindsay Crouse and Joe Mantegna
• David Mamet on "House of Games," a short documentary shot on location during the film's preparation and production
• Storyboard detail from the deleted scene "The Tap"
• Theatrical trailer
• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Kent Jones and excerpts from Mamet’s introduction to the published screenplay

Wow, this truly came out of nowhere. I used to LOVE this movie, kinda soured on it a little bit in recent years. Will still rent it to check out the extras though. Ricky Jay!

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 15, 2007

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#401 - Cría Cuervos

Special Features

• New, restored high-definition digital transfer
• Portrait of Carlos Saura, a documentary on the life and career of the Spanish auteur
• New interviews with actresses Geraldine Chaplin and Ana Torrent
• Original theatrical trailer
• New and improved English subtitle translation
• PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by film scholar Paul Julian Smith

Looks like it might be my kind of movie.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 15, 2007

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#402 - The Milky Way

• Video introduction by screenwriter Jean-Claude Carrière
• New video interview with film scholar Ian Christie
• Theatrical trailer
• New and improved English subtitles
• More!
• PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by Carlos Fuentes and Mark Polizzotti, and a reprinted interview with Luis Buñuel

Meh. I think this is my least favorite Bunuel. I might not even bother with a rental. Sigh... why couldn't it be Exterminating Angel?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

It's worth noting that there's no #400 yet. I wonder which title they're saving it for.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

vertov posted:

To be honest I'm not impressed at all. Another rerelease of a film that's already available? And another trip to the well for a "grand old master"? The Spanish film could be good, but I think Criterion is really dragging their feet with August's line-up. The June series looks great, but they've been getting into a really boring pattern of rereleases lately (and if the news about 'A bout de souffle' is true, we have another rerelease to not look forward to).

I'd be interested to see the data on what sells for them. My guess is that rereleases of familiar stuff sells really well, as does the stable of establishes directors that they're committed to promoting, but I'm thinking that everything else falls flat. Given that they have access to so many films through Image, MGM (via Fox) and Paramount, it seems likely that they will keep chugging out familiar titles that have proven to sell. Oh well.

I agree, it's a dud month. House of Games will sell on the popular market because it's an American movie with recognizable actors, but it's not that great of a film. I have a hard time complaining about Bunuel, but they've really been concentrating on some of his least exciting work.

I'm also not at all looking forward to Breathless... influential as it may be, I find it to be one of Godard's less compelling films.

Hopefully the next Eclipse set to be announced will be a little more adventurous (or at least more to my liking).

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

vertov posted:

Also, someone at cf.org is claiming that the Eclipse box for August is going to be three of Sam Fuller's films.

If that's true, that'll be an easy one for me to skip. I can think of few people less deserving of their reputation.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

My Third Man and Sansho shipped today :awesome:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

cover for Milky Way:

Ugh.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I just noticed that Cria Cuervos has been moved from #401 to #403. This would seem to suggest that whatever #400 is, it's part of a pair.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

According to the latest Criterion blog, G.W. Pabst's Threepenny Opera will be #405.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

FitFortDanga posted:

#402 - The Milky Way

• Video introduction by screenwriter Jean-Claude Carrière
• New video interview with film scholar Ian Christie
• Theatrical trailer
• New and improved English subtitles
• More!
• PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by Carlos Fuentes and Mark Polizzotti, and a reprinted interview with Luis Buñuel

Meh. I think this is my least favorite Bunuel. I might not even bother with a rental. Sigh... why couldn't it be Exterminating Angel?

They've tacked on another feature:

* Luis Bunuel: Atheist Thanks to God, a documentary featuring several of Bunuel's close friends and collaborators

This will make a rental worthwhile, at least.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Nothing too thrilling for me. I was really underwhelmed by Strangers in Paradise, but it's been about 7 years so maybe I'd benefit from a revisit. Robinson Crusoe on Mars might be fun. I didn't think Pandora's Box was especially noteworthy, might not even bother renting Threepenny Opera.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

No kidding. Looking through IMDB I'm assuming it's this, but there's not really enough there to see why they chose it.

The Martha Graham set includes the following:

A Dancer's World
Appalachian Spring http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478971/
Night Journey http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0422824/
Martha Graham: The Dancer Revealed

zandert33 posted:

Does anybody know if Criterion is planning on releasing anymore Mikio Naruse movies? I love "When a Woman Ascends the Stairs", and would love to see some more releases. I'm aware of the UK boxset release, but it really is a little too expensive, especially if Criterion has them waiting in the wings.

I'm sure they will eventually.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Mu Zeta posted:

Why is Armageddon in the Criterion collectioin?

1) It generates revenue to help fund lower-profile releases.
2) It's an excellent representative of the mega-budget summer blockbuster, a perfectly valid segment of the world of cinema.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Rumor has it that Criterion is working on Two-Lane Blacktop. Hopefully they're port over the extras from the Anchor Bay release.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Peter Cowie confirms that The Magician is coming in 2008. Good news for us Bergman fans, it's one of the few "major" films of his that hasn't been released in R1 yet. It's a great movie, not one of my very favorites, but it's really interesting to consider in context. It comes between Seventh Seal/Wild Strawberries and the "faith trilogy", and you can see all the different elements from those works blending together.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Hell yes, I am so picking up the Robinson Crusoe.
That movie is pretty drat great for 70s scifi, and seldom recognized for it.

It's from 1964.

Here's the Martha Graham cover:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

October releases!

#410 - UNDER THE VOLCANO

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised by film editor Roberto Silvi
* Audio commentary featuring executive producer Michael Fitzgerald and producers Wieland Schulz-Keil and Moritz Borman
* Theatrical trailers
* New video interview with Jacqueline Bisset
* New audio interview with screenwriter Guy Gallo
* 1984 audio interview with John Huston conducted by French film critic Michel Ciment
* Notes from "Under the Volcano" (1984), a 59-minute documentary by Gary Conklin shot on the set during the film's production, featuring interviews with Huston, cast, and crew
* Volcano: An Inquiry into the Life and Death of Malcolm Lowry (1976), filmmaker Donald Brittain's 99-minute, Academy Award–nominated documentary, narrated by Richard Burton, examining the connections between Under the Volcano author Malcolm Lowry's life and that of his novel's main character
* PLUS: A new essay by film critic Christian Viviani
* More!

I don't know much about this movie, but it's been vaguely on my radar for years. I'm not really too impressed with John Huston.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#408 - BREATHLESS

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, approved by director of photography Raoul Coutard
* Archival interviews with director Jean-Luc Godard, and actors Jean-Paul Belmondo, Jean Seberg, and Jean-Pierre Melville
* New video interviews with Coutard, assistant director Pierre Rissient, and filmmaker D. A. Pennebaker
* New video essays: filmmaker and critic Mark Rappaport's "Jean Seberg" and critic Jonathan Rosenbaum's "Breathless as Film Criticism"
* Chambre 12, Hotel de suede, an eighty-minute French documentary about the making of Breathless, with members of the cast and crew
* Charlotte et son Jules, a 1959 short film by Godard, starring Belmondo
* French theatrical trailer
* PLUS: A booklet featuring writings from Godard, film historian Dudley Andrew, Francois Truffaut's original film treatment, and Godard's scenario

No big surprise here. Nice bounty of extras, I'm most interested in the short. Breathless isn't one of my favorite Godards, but it certainly has a great deal of influence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#407 - MALA NOCHE

* DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Gus Van Sant
* New interview with Van Sant
* Walt Curtis, the Peckerneck Poet: a documentary about the author of the book Mala Noche, directed by animator and friend Bill Plympton
* Storyboard gallery
* Original trailer edited by Van Sant
* PLUS: A new essay by film critic Dennis Lim

Another one we knew was coming. I've been wanting to see this for a long time.