Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Ebert's new review of Mishima has me interested. I need to see some of Schrader's directorial efforts too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Cacator posted:

GBS movie threads are usually full of people who don't know that this forum exists anyway.

Thank god for that.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Imagine how skewed the Yearly Consensus threads would be. Sin City with 200 votes? Children of Men with 170? Wowzers!

I can't think of any other Goon Favorites® though.

Anything with zombies, superhero films, studio Ghibli films, films starring Christian Bale, Ed Norton and Clive Owen, and anything that can be classified as "so-bad-it's-good."

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Og Oggilby posted:

A post on criterionforum.org sort of hints at Criterion getting Ossessione.

Hell yes! I'm a big fan of Visconti and that's my most-wanted of his.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Radio on the TV posted:

I just picked up a used (rental) copy of The Leopard for 6 bucks. Now I just need to find three hours to dedicate to watching it.

I love you.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Going to Borders' later to buy Scenes from a Marriage. I wish I had the money to justify buying the TV edition of Fanny and Alexander as well. :(

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Can't say I've ever heard of the guy, but I trust your judgment to the point that I'll certainly give the guy a look. I'm still waiting on:

A) Satyajit Ray
B) My Dinner with Andre COME ON ALREADY

B has been the #1 movie on my to-see list for like 3 years now or something. It's driving me up the walls.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
VAMPYR! gently caress yes!

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Brian Fellows posted:

"Hot Topic?" That cover for Vampyr is absolutely perfect in the context of the movie. I could be wrong but I think that is the first cover art I have liked since they switched from their old style.

Not even this?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FitFortDanga posted:

Most obvious clue ever? Must be an Ophuls set, including Madame de... among others. I hope Leibelei is in there.

Yes! I was just wondering about this last night, I really really want to see The Earrings of Madame de... and I'm a total sucker for graceful camerawork so I'm sure the whole set would fascinate me.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

That cover art is beautiful, but I have to admit I'm a little disappointed by the fact that it doesn't look like this will be a box set, and there's no Letter from an Unknown Woman, Liebelei or Lola Montes, I didn't expect all three but at least one of them. While all three are enjoyable I don't see myself buying them individually, especially at the $40 price point, and I was looking forward to them too.

I was hoping for a box set as well, but really, who pays list price for Criterions, ever?

I haven't seen any of them, but I'm buying Madame de... the day it comes out. I've wanted to see it forever.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
That's fair enough. I've been wasting my money on Criterions for as long as I can remember though.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

ThetaOmnikron posted:

I'm sure people are tired of my deal posts, but most all Criterion are buy 1 get 1 free over at Deep Discount.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/DVD---HBO-Comedy-Sale_stcVVcatId476505VVviewcat.htm

Doing some quick math, you'd be hard pressed to find any of these cheaper elsewhere.

Holy poo poo I love you. I've been torn between seven or eight Criterion DVDs but now I can buy all, or almost all of them, guilt free.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Og Oggilby posted:

October Criterions:

http://www.criterion.com/asp/coming_soon.asp

Le doulos (1962, Jean-Pierre Melville)
Le deuxieme souffle (1966, Jean-Pierre Melville)

Well, I just came.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Found news on CriterionForum (.org) that should please NeuroticErotic, at least:

quote:

I attended a Monte Hellman triple feature at the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin last night, which had Monte Hellman in attendance. He told me Criterion would be releasing "The Shooting" & "Ride In The Whirlwind."

Of course considering NE probably spends half his time in the Drafthouse he may have already heard it. :v:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FitFortDanga posted:

Don't know, but apparently the first Blu-Rays won't be coming out until November.

I hope that doesn't put off the reissue of Walkabout...though then again, I might be better off, since if it comes in September, I'll be completely swamped with DVD purchases (the three Criterion Ophuls films, plus the restored Godfather box set).

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Not a terribly exciting month for me, I'd like to see both The Spy Who Came in from the Cold and Chungking Express but I was really hoping for an announcement of one of those titles that's been on the backburner forever like Last Year at Marienbad or My Dinner with Andre, though I suppose Bottle Rocket counts as one of those.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Pfft, The Rock is awesome.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
First title up is Roberto Rossellini's The Taking of Power by Louis XIV.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
El Norte will be a must buy, and I'm interested in the other two as well. Pretty drat good month.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Also Rossellini's Il Generale Della Rovere. Interested in the Truffaut, but not so much the others - drat you, Criterion, when will I get My Dinner With Andre and Last Year at Marienbad?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Yeah, I've also got the MGM DVD which serves me just fine. I really like the movie, but not enough that I think I'll need to buy the Criterion. It's still cool that they're releasing it, though.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Best month ever.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I'd love The Magician.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Well it was pretty widely expected that Seventh Seal would be redone at some point but, yes, they never officially announced it or hinted at it.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
That Nikkatsu Noir set looks pretty awesome.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Human Condition was pushed back to September 8th because of the discovery of stereo tracks for one of the films. Kind of a bummer, because I planned on getting it pretty soon after its release, but considering my finances this is a good thing.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Holy gently caress. We lose Ran and gain the most colorful French film this side of Umbrellas of Cherbourg. Why in christ doesn't Criterion own Umbrellas anyway?

I'm going with bookmark Amazon, DVDPlanet, DeepDiscount, and the Criterion store and just go for the lowest price.

Save yourself the trouble:

https://www.dvdpricesearch.com

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Cacator posted:

There are no Barnes and Nobles in my country and the ones I want are not listed on sale on the website so I wish you all a painful death.

If it's any consolation I haven't been able to find a summer job and have $85 in the bank so I'm hosed too. :shobon:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I have enough money to justify buying one movie and that's it. (I am that broke, yes.) Really, really thinking hard about Il Posto.

EDIT: The competition is Naked, Play Time and Last Year at Marienbad.

Criminal Minded fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 22, 2009

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Play Time's coming out on Blu ray soon so there's no reason to get that. I'd go with either Marienbad or Il Posto.

Those are the two favorites, but I don't have an HDTV yet anyway, or a PS3. Hopefully by the end of the year I'll at least have the TV.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

LaptopGun posted:

Is Ran worth owning? Rashamon? Yojimbo and its sequel (sidestory?) Sanjuro? There's my Kurosawa fix. Other movies I may possibly find interesting?

Every one of those Kurosawas is fantastic, good call.

What are you looking for? Might give me a better idea than just listing off my favorites, of which there are a lot.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

LaptopGun posted:

Thanks. Mostly action and supense stuff. I realize Criterion doesn't do many popcorn flicks... now, anyway, since they went OoP. Alright, I admit I kinda want to find the old letterbox only release of Armageddon just to see the like 1/2 hour of deleted scenes that may start to fill the craters of plotholes, unexplained developments, missing information, and other fun stuff about movies :) But seriously, something with a lot of action (if it has intelligence and/or realism in it, that would be ideal).

Suspense: The Vanishing. Very slow and contemplative for a thriller, but it pays off big time. Really interesting film. It's about a guy whose girlfriend goes missing at a gas station on a trip. I won't say any more than that and if you're interested I advise you not to look up anything else.

The Wages of Fear is supposed to be great, but I haven't seen it myself. There are lots of good crime options as well, like Rififi, that fit the "suspense" mold.

Action? Geez, I dunno. Outside of more Kurosawa I can't think of anything that's really very actiony that I'm familiar with.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Hey FitFortDanga how can I find out when/where the new Criterions are announced next month? :twisted;

CriterionForum.org has a lot of speculation and they're usually at least on the right path.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Oh, and I didn't go with any of the things I listed - I actually used this opportunity to upgrade my Seventh Seal DVD. Couldn't bear not having the best edition of one my favorite films by one of my favorite directors.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Egbert Souse posted:

Oh poo poo, I accidentally ordered twice. I accidentally placed without the Painleve DVD and immediately canceled it so I could re-place. Now I'm getting two copies each of Vampyr and the Malle docs. :byodood:

That shouldn't be hard to cancel. Otherwise I'll take them. :v:

I should have a little extra side money coming to me so I think I'm going to order Marienbad. We'll see.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Haha, by "take" I mean that quite literally. I'm so broke. :( You should find a buyer on Amazon or eBay easy enough.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I'd have to browse, but I doubt I have anything you'd be terribly interested in that I want to part with. Somebody here can probably offer you better bang for your buck. Thanks for the offer though.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
God drat it why couldn't these sales have happened last summer when I was full of expendable cash? Oh well, I can't really complain - I still cleaned up last summer with Deep Discount's 2-for-1 on Criterions. That was a wonderful thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Egbert Souse posted:

Also, The Leopard is $29.99 and Le Samourai is $18.99.

It's apparently an "indie DVD" sale.

Everybody should buy both of these movies because they loving rule, by the way. My goal in life is to get as many people as possible to see The Leopard and I won't stop until everybody I know has. :colbert: