Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Cacator posted:

Nobody knows or has it? DOES THIS MEAN IT'S BAD?!?!!!?!!!!

I haven't seen the new Criterion release yet, but I own the old disc. It's a pretty harrowing look into schizophrenia with a good lead performance and amazing sound design. I recommend at least a rental. DVDFile, though, gave it a pretty scathing review and called it the "worst film Criterion has released so far". Very very undeserved criticism, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

profbobo posted:

Friendly reminder that the Deep Discount sale starts tomorrow! 20% off. I was going to start another thread on it but I wasn't sure if that was kosher or not in CineD.

Gah, hello empty wallet.

I'm sure it would've been fine, considering every DVD board on the internet has a thread about the sale.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The B&N Criterion sale starts July 14th, and it's 50% off the list price of all Criterion releases (the only exceptions that I've found being Benjamin Button and the huge 50 Years of Janus Films box). This sale also includes Blu-Rays, the Eclipse boxes, the Essential Art House line, and the unspecified cheaper releases like The Red Balloon.

It will last until at least the end of July, and sales usually roll over into the first week of the next month, so this probably will too. I've already ordered a ton to round out the holes in my Bergman and Bunuel collections, and will most likely be living off ramen for the rest of the month, but seriously, with this sale on top of a B&N member card (if you already have one, 'cause they ain't cheap and usually aren't worth buying) or coupons, you're getting close to 60% off.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

The Lucas posted:

Is this online as well or just in store?

Yep. Website is already advertising it.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Just to let you guys know, starting November 10th, Barnes & Noble will be having the 50% off Criterion sale again. It will only be lasting for two weeks this time, so start making those lists.

Just in time for the Wings of Desire bluray, so I'm happy.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Shampy posted:

Does this usually work online too? I'll be on a cruise that first week and don't want to miss out. If so, do they usually keep restocking throughout the special? Or do you have to camp the site the night before it starts?

The last time this happened, it applied to the website as well. I imagine it'll be the same this time. As for the restocking , I'm not sure, but I doubt anything that runs out before 2 weeks will be able to be restocked before the sale ends. Still, except for probably The Third Man (if it hasn't happened already), I don't really see this happening.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
drat, I was really hoping the Days of Heaven blu ray would be coming from Paramount. The new Malick-supervised transfer from Criterion is so de-saturated that it doesn't feel like the same film. I always end up watching my cheap, 9 dollar Paramount disc instead.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Just as a reminder, the Barnes & Noble 50% sale on all Criterions starts July 14th and continues until, I think, August 3rd.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Official date for the 50% Criterion sale at BN is Nov. 1st and it ends on Nov. 21st. Just in time for Night of the Hunter.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

FitFortDanga posted:

The most interesting thing about that story is apparently Criterion turned down the chance to release Enter the Void.

I liked Enter the Void to a point, but I can see why they wouldn't release it. I've always hoped they would pick up the rights to I Stand Alone, though.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Space Fish posted:

What say you?

Your description is pretty spot on. It's The Conversation meets Blow Up with more overt action and style. Too bad it isn't nearly as intelligent or entertaining as either, thanks in large part to the standard De Palma techniques that I generally can't stand, like his penchant for ridiculous melodrama, garish lighting, and goofy camera angles that sap the suspense right out of the room. But hey, if you like De Palma...

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
It's probably the cover for Black Moon

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I've never complained about a Criterion cover before, but that Naked bluray cover is just awful. Why would they even want to change it in the first place?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Just an early heads up. B&N Criterion 50% off sale will be back on starting July 12th. Commence weeping over your soon-to-be-empty bank accounts.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

The Lucas posted:

So does the half of B&N sale start on tuesday then?

Yep.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Just another heads up. A couple of weeks ago, the B&N coupon system noticeably changed. Now, instead of one number for a coupon that anyone can use, each coupon has a unique number/letter combination that, once used, will no longer be active. Whether or not this is company-wide, I have no idea, but if it is, you can forget about the old stacking/reusing coupons routine.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I already own so many Criterions that it's getting harder and harder to decide what to get, as I'm left with nothing but blind buys. Makes these sales bittersweet.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Friedpundit posted:

Anyone know the exact day the sale ends? Is it just the last day of July? I'm trying to plan my purchase around paychecks.

August 1st is the last day.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
This is typical of Criterion. They release months of stuff that I'm not interested in, then boom, I want everything from one slate. November's going to hurt.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
For those of you wanting an excuse to inventory those Criterions, the site has just launched My Criterion profiles, where you can make lists, wishlists, add comments to each entry, etc. It seems a bit of a superficial grab at interactivity, but hey, I was bored and set one up. It turns out I have 65 Criterions. I'm pretty sure that's too many.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Egbert Souse posted:

And one of their home entertainment leads publicly said "old movies aren't worth releasing unless they have John Wayne."

If that's the case, why even hang on to the rights? There are plenty of interested companies out there. Or is this a case of "if we can't make any money on these movies, then no one will." :colbert: ?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'm not business minded, so explain how this works.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Oh, right. My naivete's acting up. I guess it's difficult for me to think of a film catalog as assets. Especially if they admittedly have no interest in it, outside of luring investors to fund SawXX or whatever garb Lionsgate puts out these days. What a waste.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Egbert Souse posted:

What's more insulting is that Lionsgate is releasing nearly every Miramax title with an HD transfer, but is sitting on a ton of StudioCanal films ready for the shelf or already released in Europe. And it's Lionsgate that's responsible for Criterion having to take nearly all StudioCanal films out of print.

Miramax used to do the same thing, acquiring the rights to tons of flicks and then sitting on them indefinitely. It's funny that their major catalog is now getting released primarily by Lionsgate, while the deep catalog is being slowly shat out in trickles of terrible releases by EchoBridge.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
A screenshot clue on FB confirms that Shallow Grave will be in the next batch of announcements.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Cacator posted:

What happen to you, Criterion art department??

If I'm not mistaken, they actually don't have a dedicated department for cover design, but farm them out to freelance graphic designers (some of which they'll hire for multiple covers). That would explain the disparity.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I glossed over the list a little too fast and for a split second I thought it was Week End, became giddy, and then really disappointed.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Though I really think The Game is a nice, effective thriller, I always felt like the ending was way too convenient and tacked-on. I figured it was a studio move and Fincher originally intended something else. I see this release features an alternate ending. I wonder if it's any better.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

lessthankyle posted:

I love The Game, mostly because of the ambitiousness of the idea. It's by no stretch a great movie, but I love to watch it. However, I think that's a terrible cover for it. It looks like a bad 80's sci-fi film, and it doesn't really feel like it conveys a good sense of the film's tone. Not to mention that kind of imagery is hard to get people to read as anything other than a 9/11 reference. The Mad Men promo (http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelsurtees/6708053391/) got enough grief for it, but at least it wasn't in front of a skyscraper. (I actually just looked up the 9/11 photo for reference, and boy is it weirdly similar: http://www.esquire.com/features/ESQ0903-SEP_FALLINGMAN)

I don't know, it directly ties into a scene, expresses the foreboding, conspiracy-thriller atmosphere, and is bathed in the blue-green tones that much of the movie is. I like it.

And 9/11? Really?

edit: I just noticed that Fincher's name isn't on the cover. I wonder what's up with that?

Origami Dali fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 15, 2012

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Cemetry Gator posted:

Those of us who do not should bear in mind that those who do will be reasonably offended and we should think twice about using that image, lest we pull discussion away from the work and onto a singular image.

I guess I underestimated how many people would see this, but I disagree about thinking twice. Should artists really have to kowtow to a guesstimated portion of the population's hair-trigger sensitivities? Then again, this might not be the thread for that discussion.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

codyclarke posted:

The 'falling man' image is probably the most iconic 9/11 image, aside from shots of the planes going into the buildings. Any way you slice it, its an odd choice of inspiration for a cover of a film that has nothing to do with 9/11.

That's fine. And here's an actual screenshot from the scene in question.

The cover lifts the image directly from the movie. Just because it reminds people of something doesn't mean it's actually inspired by it.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I get the feeling the B&N summer sale on Criterions wont be happening this year.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, the B&N sale starts on the 10th.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I guarantee that it was a major oversight. I hope you guys actually end up getting your stuff.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
So, is The Friends of Eddie Coyle as good as it's rep? Worth a blind buy?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Same here. Watching The Exterminating Angel or any Bergman was a headache. I'd be fine with yellow subtitles at this point. I can't believe that we're not to the point, technologically, to just have the ability to custom select the font size and color for subtitles.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I like Kagemusha more than Yojimbo, Sanjuro, or Rashomon. But I get the feeling that isn't the general consensus.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

barkingclam posted:

Don't look past his noir-ish stuff. I liked High and Low a lot and both Stray Dog and The Bad Sleep Well are pretty good, too.

I get the feeling he's talking about BluRay only. Otherwise, Ikiru takes priority.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
So, there's no extras on Heaven's Gate about how it largely helped tank the New Hollywood? Or how it bankrupted United Artists? Or how it singlehandedly turned Cimino from an auteur loved by critics into a joke without a career? They should at least include a copy of Steven Bach's "Final Cut".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

FitFortDanga posted:

Considering Cimino's involvement in the release, he probably wanted to minimize that kind of thing.

You're probably right, which is a shame. Anyway, Cimino probably tried to run Criterion over budget by proposing the release should be 17 discs and come packaged inside of a stovepipe hat.