Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
It's pretty obvious that the new Oliver is 49th Parallel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

Harmonica posted:

Someone explain to me the obsession with Criterions, and the high prices. I've watched a whole bunch of them and the larger part are average-to-good transfers, quite a few are muddy and horrible, and only a few (The Rock, Naked Lunch) are amazing.

Seems a bit too hit or miss for a brand that's meant to resound with quality.

Give some examples? I know a lot of early releases aren't great, but every release I've seen from them since 2000 looks fantastic.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

redrobotcore posted:

This extends beyond just what Criterion has to offer. By proving that a target audience like theirs is a viable one, Criterion not only created a market for (arguably) important lesser-known films on DVD, but also encourages competition from other publishers. Having practically invented the notion of extra features on LaserDisc over a decade a go, Criterion has influenced the evolution of the home video experience tremendously.

As the saying goes, competition is good for everyone. I can't help but think that without the influence of Criterion's vision of the home video experince, other publishers like Universal, Warner Brothers or Fox might not feel so inclined give as much attention to classic films as we are lucky to see now with terrific discs like the recent Double Indemnity release.

edit: :fappery:

Along with Criterion, MGM/UA (which split into MGM and Turner... the latter going to WB), Fox, and Disney really kept up with the technology. In fact, MGM/UA collaborated often with Criterion.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

mikeraskol posted:

I have the old, single disc Criterion of Seven Samurai. Is it worth the money to get the new Seven Samurai?

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare7/sevensamurai.htm

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

zandert33 posted:

There has been no word on a re-release of Hidden Fortress (most already knew Yojimbo and Sanjuro were on the way). Hidden Fortress is already anamorphic, so unless they have some other extra features, I doubt they will re-release it.

And if they did, that would be some expensive boxset!

The existing DVD looks fantastic, even if the only extras are a George Lucas interview and a trailer. It also has a 3.0 Perspecta track.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
From what I've heard, it's possible that Fox will farm out some stuff from the MGM catalog they're distributing to Criterion. Not the classic pre-1985 stuff that Warner owns, but the United Artists, Embassy, Orion, Samuel Goldwyn, etc. films. This would mean we could finally see Criterion editions of The Graduate, 12 Angry Men, and Annie Hall.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

Macrame_God posted:

My copy of "Haxan" came in the mail today, and just in time for Halloween too. :dance:

I've been contemplating hitting Barnes & Noble for the Criterion Collection edition of "Equinox". Can anyone here attest to its awesomeness?

B&N is going to rip you off. I've seen copies in Best Buy for $28.

I've found that Best Buy stores in major cities keep a lot of Criterions on hand. Although, I'll be impressed when I can walk into a Wal-Mart to pick up the Louis Malle box set.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Criterion Newsletter: "Eight million stories. And we've got one of 'em."

Searching for quotes on IMDB, it'll be Jules Dassin's The Naked City.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

SubG posted:

That's cool; the Image DVD is...well, an Image DVD.

Did you actually had to look up the `eight million stories' line? I thought it was one of the more recognisable quotes from cinema (well, I imagine many folks know it from the television series of the same name, but the point is the same).

Hey, I don't know EVERYTHING. :v:

To be honest, Image can be great. They're always at the mercy of the smaller companies they distribute for, but if they're given prime materials - we get great DVDs. A good example is their The Crawling Eye/The Trollenberg Terror DVD. Excellent 1.66:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer of the uncut British version (with the original title) provided by Corinth Films. On the other hand, Castle Hill provided them with an awful print of You Only Live Once (while an R2 disc looks fantastic).

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
February Criterions:

When a Woman Ascends the Stairs
49th Parallel

Paul Robeson: Portaits of the Artist (box set)
- The Emperor Jones
- Paul Robeson: A Tribute to the Artist
- Sanders of the River
- Jericho
- Body and Soul
- Borderline
- Proud Valley
- Native Land

The Bicycle Thief (AKA Bicycle Thieves):

Green for Danger:

Details are up on Criterion's site.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

LordEvilElmo posted:

I remember hearing a new version was coming out. It was supposedly around November time this year. Here's hoping.

It'll likely be a 2-disc edition, too. There's a fantastic 90-min documentary "Shadowing the Third Man" that aired on Turner Classic Movies.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Criterion Newsletter hints at five Ingmar Bergman films coming next year... pre-The Seventh Seal. Also, there's a nifty contest. :)

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Hmm, mixed feelings. I like the general concept, the low price, and of course I'm super-jazzed for more Bergman. No supplements and no full restorations, though... that's a bummer.

Overall, I'm pretty happy about it, and looking forward to new discoveries.

Still, there's so many films that people would be more than gracious to own movie-only editions, let alone full Criterions. This way, maybe an entire budget can go to just a no-frills HD transfer and the film rights. I'd imagine this would be a quick way to afford grabbing films from major studios.

Also, I can imagine this would be a good way to get out some of the British Hitchcock films and the remaining three Jacques Tati features (Jour de Fete, Trafic, and Parade).

Og Oggilby fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 15, 2006

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
It's looking like the Janus Essential Art Cinema book has some new remasters. DVDBeaver has a comparison for The Lady Vanishes... while it loses the commentary, all the edge enhancement is gone and it looks fantastic!

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

Cacator posted:

Goddamn, people can be stupid dicks. WAAH THE LOGO CHANGED, CRITERION IS loving US AGAIN!!

This is why I don't spend as much time as I used to on home theater forums as I used to. People will complain about the most trivial things and half don't have a shred of an idea of the technology. Between that, "IS ____ EVER GOING TO BE ON DVD", and stupid "STUDIO A MESSED THIS UP ON PURPOSE" threads, we ought to do a few weekend webs for DVD forums.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
A little off-topic, but the Jodorowsky films (El Topo and The Holy Mountain) are finally coming to DVD from Anchor Bay on May 1st: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1907834&pagenumber=3#post321542621

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

I guess this means Berlin Alexanderplatz?

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
So it looks like Criterion is getting If...? This bodes well since that means Paramount may be licensing some titles finally. Maybe they'll finally license their silents... especially the von Sternbergs (Underworld, Docks of New York, and The Last Command) and The Wedding March (von Stroheim). Not to mention the first Best Picture winner Wings.

FitFortDanga posted:

#64: The Third Man (re-release)

* SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES
* New, restored high-definition digital transfer
* Video introduction by writer-director Peter Bogdanovich
* Audio commentary by film scholar Dana Polan
* Shadowing "The Third Man", a ninety-minute 2005 feature documentary on the making of the film
* Abridged recording of Graham Greene’s treatment, read by actor Richard Clarke
* The Third Man on the radio: the 1951 “A Ticket to Tangiers” episode of
The Lives of Harry Lime series, written and performed by Orson Welles; and the 1951 Lux Radio Theatre adaptation of The Third Man
* Illustrated production history with rare behind-the-scenes photos, original UK press book, and U.S. trailer
* Actor Joseph Cotten’s alternate opening voiceover narration for the U.S. version
* Archival footage and photos of postwar Vienna
* A look at the untranslated foreign dialogue in the film
* PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by Luc Sante, Charles Drazin, and Philip Kerr
* More!

Off to eBay my DVD goes! The "Shadowing the Third Man" documentary is awesome (saw it on TCM). I can't wait to see the new restoration.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

Horseface posted:

Oh god I need this image framed and hanging on my wall.

I'm going to rasterbate that shot for my wall. :hellyeah:

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Someone emailed Criterion and got confirmation that If... is to be released in June.

Looks like Billy Wilder's Ace in the Hole will be a Criterion, too (according to a "hint" on Home Theater Forum). Paramount seems to have finally wised up and start licensing films to them. I hope it's not too much to hope for that they can also get a hold on some Republic films (they dealt with Lionsgate for Kicking and Screaming). I'd love to see what they could do with the Republic serials.

Og Oggilby fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 23, 2007

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

Mferkinwalter posted:

Holy mother of gently caress. I've dreamed about Billy Wilder Criterions. Literally dreamed about them. If there was a Criterion of Ball of Fire, I could die a happy person.

Also, Fox licenses films to Criterion, so they could actually lend some of the UA Wilders since only Some Like It Hot and The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes got decent releases. I'm fairly sure Cameron Crowe has said he has enough audio interviews with Billy Wilder to construct commentaries for his films, especially The Apartment. Considering the MGM DVD is an up-rezzed 16x9 master from the old 4x3 laserdisc transfer, we could have an improvement.

Fox could also allow Criterion to put the three Selznick Hitchcocks back into print (as well as Straw Dogs), as well as create new DVDs of The Paradine Case and the StudioCanal/Carlton films MGM licensed a long time ago (including Sabotage, Secret Agent, Young and Innocent, and The Man Who Knew Too Much '34), the two Fellini United Artists films (Satryicon and Roma), the UA and Orion Woody Allen films (Annie Hall especially, and the ABC Films licensed Take The Money and Run, which is P&S-only from MGM), Jarmusch's Stranger than Paradise, Welles' The Stranger, The Graduate, 12 Angry Men, and a lot of David Lean (pretty much all his pre-Summertime films besides the already-released Brief Encounter, Great Expectations, and Oliver Twist).

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Also, according to the Criterion Forum...

Permament Vacation, Stranger than Paradise, Le Feu Follet, and a Martin Scorsese shorts compilation are all in the works too.

vertov posted:

They also seem to be asking for submissions for other eclipse titles. Is anyone planning on emailing them anything? I have a few ideas, although I doubt that they would be interested in any of them.

While I'd really like some commentaries and at least one short documentary, an Eclipse set with a bunch of British Hitchcock films would be great. Perhaps with Sabotage, Secret Agent, Young and Innocent, Number 17, and The Man Who Knew Too Much '34. Blackmail should be saved for a full Criterion since it's his most important British film other than The 39 Steps and The Lady Vanishes.

A Jacques Tati set with Jour de Fete (both the color and B&W versions), Trafic, and Parade (all six Tati features were released by Criterion on laserdisc). Maybe throw in the recently restored English version of Mon oncle, too.

Mferkinwalter posted:

If there was a Criterion of Ball of Fire, I could die a happy person.

It's getting a release from Fox on May 22nd, at least.

Og Oggilby fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 24, 2007

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

Mferkinwalter posted:

:swoon: Og, you are a golden god. Thanks for the info.

I find pretty much all my information from...
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/forumdisplay.php?f=18
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3
https://www.dvdtimes.co.uk
https://www.thedigitalbits.com

Looks like Paramount also licensed Fuller's White Dog and Bergman's Face to Face.

While I suggested the Hitchcock and Tati sets for Eclipse, I also suggested getting Lionsgate and Paramount to license some Republic serials... perhaps putting 3-4 in a collection (namely, The Adventures of Captain Marvel, Spy Smasher, Undersea Kingdom, and Secret Service in Darkest Africa). Also mentioned somehow getting an animation release. If it wasn't for the necessity of having Warner/Disney styled extras-laden sets, I'd almost want Eclipse to get out a complete set of Max Fleischer cartoons (Betty Boop, Koko, Color Classics, and the rest - all from Lionsgate and Paramount).

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Criterion has amended their listing for the new 2-disc SE of The Third Man. They're now listing three additional supplements: a second commentary with Steven Soderbergh and Tony Gilroy, an hour-long documentary on Graham Greene (from BBC's Omnibus), and a 30 min. German documentary "Who Was the Third Man?"

Also, Criterion is apparently working on John Huston's Under the Volcano.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

caiman posted:

So is downloading a crappy internet file preferable to purchasing a Criterion Collection dvd nowadays? :confused:

The Archive.org version is the same as the old Criterion... while the 2-disc Criterion used a fresh 35mm print made off the restored camera negative. So, you get it for free, but for a reason...

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Ace in the Hole is coming in July, according to Criterion's producers. Now people are speculating that Wings has been licensed, but I doubt it. Then again, two other Best Picture winners have received Criterion releases (Rebecca and Hamlet).

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

Dr. Klahn posted:

If... is a fantastic film, you should definitely get it. Now all we need is a DVD of O Lucky Man!

Hopefully WB will time it with If.... since they already said it's coming out this year. I watched the first 7-8 minutes of If.... on YouTube and this is yet another Criterion I'll blind buy. Nice art, too. (Also, O Lucky Man looks interesting from the "sheep scene" I saw on YouTube)

Og Oggilby fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 16, 2007

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
The "Love Conquers All" cut basically makes the entire movie pointless. The whole movie builds up to the ending. It's like ending The Godfather with the baptism scene... without the cutaways and without the scenes afterward.

The most ridiculous aspect of the "studio cut" is that it resorts to freeze-frames and zoom-ins to fake shots. I'm fairly sure a few shots are even repeated.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

cryme posted:

I'd say it makes it obsolete. If the new release has better quality and is in far greater supply, what's the point in owning the old release? The only situation I could see the OOP version being desirable in is if there is a certain extra (like a good commentary) that was present on the OOP version that is not present in the new version.

This isn't likely, since Criterion owns the rights to almost all of their extras.

All of their re-issues have been improvements, so the OOPs don't really have a place in the collection. Especially the comparatively awful M.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Nothing new there, but they finally made a website for Eclipse.

Hmm, I wished that they listed details on transfers since I like reading about it on the regular Criterions.

Also, looks like The Last Emperor, The Hit, Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence, and Insignificance will all get Criterions! At the same time, bare-bones editions will be released from Image Entertainment. http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=109706&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=983645&highlight=

Og Oggilby fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 12, 2007

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

(Oh, Criterion Forum speculates it's The Threepenny Opera by G.W. Pabst)

Og Oggilby fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 18, 2007

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
I don't know if it was mentioned earlier, but it's rumored that Criterion will release a collection of Martin Scorsese shorts in the near future (What's a Nice Girl Like You Doing in a Place Like This?, It's Not Just You, Murray!, The Big Shave, Street Scenes, Italianamerican, American Boy, and Made in Milan). The films weren't specifically mentioned, but it would probably contain all of those (from what I found on the IMDB).

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Finally, a decent Breathless!

If Fox is finally sublicensing MGM titles to Criterion, I hope this means we'll see the Selznick Hitchcocks back in print, as well as Straw Dogs (All Selznick International films licensed to MGM by ABC a while ago).

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
https://www.criteriondvd.com has cover art for Eclipse 4 and 5:

Eclipse 4: Raymond Bernard
- Wooden Crosses
- Les Miserables

Eclipse 5: The First Films of Samuel Fuller
- I Shot Jesse James
- The Baron of Arizona
- The Steel Helmet

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

cover for Milky Way:

Ugh.

Weird, CriterionDVD's cover has a orange-red background instead of the photo.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Those of you who don't like that they're releasing already released movies will probably not be glad to hear that the latest newsletter hints at another rerelease: Days of Heaven.

Well, Paramount's DVD was released way back in 1999, so it's not that big of a deal.

edit: n/m I misread it thinking it was about Pi instead of The Fountain.

Og Oggilby fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 7, 2007

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
They have full specs and covers up (except for the Martha Graham DVD)

#400 - Stranger Than Paradise

• New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Jim Jarmusch
  • Permanent Vacation (1980, 75 minutes), Jarmusch's first full-length feature, presented in a new, restored high-definition digital transfer supervised by the director
  • Kino '84: Jim Jarmusch: a 1984 German television program featuring interviews with cast and crew from Stranger Than Paradise and Permanent Vacation
  • Some Days in January, 1984, a behind-the-scenes Super-8 film by Tom Jarmusch
  • Location and on-set photos
  • U.S. and Japanese trailers
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring Jarmusch's 1984 "Some Notes on Stranger Than Paradise," Geoff Andrew and J. Hoberman on Stranger Than Paradise, and Luc Sante on Permanent Vacation

The new transfer was made 2K from the original camera negative, too.

#401 - Night on Earth

• New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Jim Jarmusch
  • Audio commentary by director of photography Frederick Elmes and location sound mixer Drew Kunin
  • Q&A with Jarmusch, in which he responds to questions sent by fans
  • 1992 Belgian television interview with Jarmusch
  • New and improved subtitle translation
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by Paul Auster, Thom Andersen, Bernard Eisenschitz, Goffredo Fofi, and Peter von Bagh, as well as the lyrics to Tom Waits's original songs from the film

#402 - Robinson Crusoe on Mars

• New, restored high-definition digital transfer
  • Audio commentary featuring screenwriter Ib Melchior, actors Paul Mantee and Victor Lundin, production designer Al Nozaki, Oscar-winning special effects designer and Robinson Crusoe on Mars historian Robert Skotak, and excerpts from a 1979 audio interview with director Byron Haskin
  • "Destination: Mars," a new video featurette by Michael Lennick detailing the science behind Robinson Crusoe on Mars
  • Excerpts from Melchior's original screenplay
  • New music video for Victor Lundin’s song "Robinson Crusoe on Mars"
  • Stills gallery of behind-the-scenes photos, production designs, and promotional material
  • Theatrical trailer
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by filmmaker and space historian Michael Lennick, a "Brief Yargorian Dictionary" of Melchior’s original alien dialect, and a list of facts about Mars included with his original screenplay

#405 - The Threepenny Opera

• New, restored high-definition digital transfer (taken from a new film restoration element from the Bundesarchiv in Germany)
  • Audio commentary by scholars David Bathrick, author of The Dialectic and the Early Brecht, and Eric Rentschler, author of The Films of G. W. Pabst
  • L'opera de quat'sous, Pabst's French-language version of The Threepenny Opera, starring Albert PrĂ©jean and Florelle
  • A video interview with film scholar Charles O'Brien on the differences between the English and French versions
  • New exclusive documentary on Threepenny’s controversial journey from stage to screen to lawsuits
  • Gallery of production photos by Hans Casparius
  • Production sketches by art director Andre Andrejew
  • New and improved English subtitle translation
  • PLUS: A new essay by film critic Tony Rayns

It's properly 1.20:1, too.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

Dabodach posted:

Are they planning to release the two sequels to If one day? After having seen If I'm curious about O Lucky Man.

O Lucky Man is owned by Warner Bros and they don't have a partnership with Criterion. However, they're supposed to release their DVD by the end of the year, complete with a Malcolm McDowell commentary. Britannia Hospital is owned by StudioCanal and the current DVD is from Anchor Bay.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Looks like The Lady Vanishes will be re-issued: http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23

It also looks like they're working on a special edition of the 1940 version of The Thief of Bagdad for 2008. Unfortunately, it looks like the Cabiria special edition isn't happening.

Also, this month's newsletter hints at either One Night with You or The Love Parade coming from them. Or even Love Me Tonight, but it's already out from Kino.