Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

See my edited post at the end of the previous page. Rosselini.

Whoops, I didn't see that until I hit reply.

Here's the high-res art for the July covers...

Also, someone sent me DVD-R dubs of Criterion's laserdiscs for Othello (Welles) and The Magnificent Ambersons. I'm surprised by how good the a/v quality turned out. Now I'm more inclined to seek out more LD stuff that probably won't make it to DVD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
I'm surprised that David Shepard would be behind such a poor quality DVD. I assumed it was one of those anonymously produced titles (like many of the PRC discs) released through Image.

vvv Maybe, but Shepard's 1992/1993 transfers for the Charlie Chaplin features still look excellent today.

Og Oggilby fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 18, 2008

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
YES!!!!

The Third Man in 1080p and finally a release of El Norte! I'm more inclined to get Monterey Pop, For All Mankind, and Gimme Shelter. Probably going to go HD by September, so I'm excited.

(Also, Criterion's BluRay logo is awesome)

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Criterion is probably going to get Wings anyways, as there's four other Paramount silents they're supposedly working on (full-on Criterion: The Wedding March; von Sternberg Eclipse set: Docks of New York, Underworld, and The Last Command).

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Criterion is going to hit paydirt with the goth crowd.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Criterion is also starting a "budget" line of their DVDs:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/sd-dvd-film-documentary/273471-criterion-press-release-september-2008-titles.html

Grand Illuion, Beauty and the Beast, Wild Strawberries, The Lord of the Flies, Rashomon, and Knife in the Water are in the first wave. They're all movie-only, with the extras left off. MSRP is $19.97 and the "Essential Art House Vol. 1" box set will have all 6 films for MSRP $99.95.

Not a bad idea considering these will street for about $14. Release date is Sept. 9.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
I really hope Vampyr will be added on the 22nd since this goes until the 29th. My eyes are set on that and Mr. Arkadin.

Going to pass on the Tati films (especially Playtime) and Spartacus since they're too likely to be BluRays by next year.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

Jack Does Jihad posted:

I have the old High and Low, I was too lazy to sell it though.

I think it's strange that they still got the aspect ratio wrong. It's not a huge difference and doesn't really bother me, and I'm looking forward to all those new extras.

Many DVDs end up exposing a bit too much image on scope films on the sides. High and Low would have been 2.35:1 when it was released. If you want to see a really bad example, check out the old non-anamorphic The Great Escape. 2.66:1 because they exposed the area supposed to be covered by the soundtrack, so it's ridiculously wide and off-center. 16x9 SE corrected this.

However, I'm not entirely sure how the Japanese studios handled this. In the US, 2.55:1 was pretty much dead by 1958 except for the few 70mm Ultra Panavision films like Ben-Hur and It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World. Most of these are unnecessarily wide, though. Ben-Hur is 2.76:1 on DVD, but it was usually shown at 2.55:1. In fact, the second wave of 70mm prints were 2.20:1.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
October Criterions:

http://www.criterion.com/asp/coming_soon.asp

Le doulos (1962, Jean-Pierre Melville)
Le deuxieme souffle (1966, Jean-Pierre Melville)
Missing (1982, Costa-Gavras)

Eclipse Series 13: Kenji Mizoguchi's Fallen Women
Osaka Elegy
Sisters of the Gion
Women of the Night
Street of Shame

Also, they will release A Woman Under the Influence and The Killing of a Chinese Bookie separately from the John Cassevettes box set. They're also reducing the MSRP on Short Cuts to $29.98, with the book reprint omitted. No idea why they're only doing two separate releases for the Cassevettes set instead of all of them.

Og Oggilby fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 16, 2008

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

I don't get too crazy about Melville, but of course I'll rent them. I have yet to see a Costa-Gavras film (Z is coming up in my Netflix queue, though).

I really wish Z was Criterion. The Fox Lorber DVD is out of print and it was a PAL conversion with ghosting.

Awesome, awesome film.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
http://www.criterionforum.org/dvd_review.php?dvd_id=477

Looks like Brand Upon the Brain! does have eight narration tracks, including Crispin Glover.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Looks like Rushmore is going out of print:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.php?p=8868536&postcount=52

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

Cacator posted:

I could never get through Rushmore because Jason Schwartzman's face and voice really, really bother me.

It's not one of my favorites, but those two aspects make Max Fischer that much more of an effective character.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
I'm digging the PCM mono on The Third Man.

Cacator posted:

The Man Who Fell to Earth doesn't seem to come with the original novel like the old one did. I'll be picking up Chungking Express and The Last Emperor for sure, and I already have The Man Who Fell to Earth and The Third Man (sold the first edition, bought the reissue) but chances are I'll be buying these ones too :( I'm hoping they will pick up Fallen Angels as well, which I liked more than Chungking Express.

Kino is releasing that as their first BluRay.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
The Bank Dick is a great comedy, but W.C. Fields is not for everyone. If Fields is not your thing because of his unlikable character, see The Man on the Flying Trapeze. Actually a terrific display of pathos on Fields' part, with some explanation on why he's so henpecked.

No idea why The Bank Dick was even a Criterion, considering it was bare bones. You'd think it would have ended up with Image at the time.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

Horseface posted:

Probably the weakest Criterion I've watched was My Life as a Dog. It's not terrible or anything, it's just a completely by-the-numbers depressing european film about childhood. There's nothing it does that Bergman and several others have done much better.

And speaking of bad transfers, I just watched Richard III (I've been on a Shakespeare kick lately) and in a lot of spots it looks absolutely horrible, like it was restored from Super 8. Henry V and Hamlet both looked pretty great, so I don't know why this one turned out so badly.

Some scenes had to be patched in from 35mm prints because the negative was cut down for general release. From the parts of the DVD I skimmed over at a library, it looks fantastic - as it was shot in VistaVision. But I did notice a bit or two with bad quality.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
http://www.criterion.com/blog/index.html

Criterion explains the missing footage that's on the BFI release. Basically, it seems to only exist on the BFI's print... it's not on any Pasolini's prints, not in the camera negative, not in the IP used for the transfer, nada. They did put the clip up for viewing, though.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Might have to bite on some now. 49% off is drat awesome.

Some I'll probably get...

Mr. Arkadin - $19.99 :aaa:
If.... - $21.99
Playtime: SE - $20.49 (even if it'll be Blu by next year, likely)
The Lady Vanishes: SE - $24.99
The Fallen Idol - $14.99

I love The Third Man (who doesn't?), so is The Fallen Idol also worth seeing as a Reed-Greene collaboration?

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Ok, went for Mr. Arkadin and Elevator to the Gallows ($20 and $15 respectively). The latter I just read some reviews for and seems like a good blind buy.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
I think it'll alternate between sure-fire sellers and interesting picks. For example, there's little risk in The Third Man or The Last Emperor. On the other hand, Bottle Rocket and The Man Who Fell to Earth are surprising picks. Much like how WB is going to release Being There among big titles like The Wizard of Oz next year.

We're probably going to see Black Narcissus and The Seventh Seal fairly quick considering they're out in the UK.

They're not going to have much trouble with their Kurosawa titles.

Then there are the movies that cry out for BluRay treatment like the Tati films, the Brakhage anthology, The Passion of Joan of Arc (if just for the score in uncompressed 5.1), and Eyes without a Face.

I do believe there's a big market for colleges since many shell out for premium video tech and many libraries stock up on Criterion.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Is there any speculation on Criterion getting more Welles? Milestone's The Trial recently went OOP and it's StudioCanal. Looks like all the public domain versions are off the market, too. I was going to import the R2 French DVD, but I'm turned off by the video replacement French titles, including putting credits over the ending shot!

Og Oggilby fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 15, 2008

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
The El Norte cover is beautiful, though.

Not to nitpick, but Magnificent Obsession was released in 1.85:1 matted widescreen back in 1954. Universal stopped using 4x3 by the end of 1953. If it's 4x3, there's going to be a lot of empty headroom everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

It represents the big-budget summer blockbuster. It may not be important to the average film snob (including myself) but it's a segment of cinema that's part of our cultural makeup. In terms of impact on the business side of Hollywood, and what the average Joe watches, it's one of the most important films in the collection.

The other thing is that sales of high-profile titles like Armageddon, The Rock, RoboCop, Beastie Boys Video Collection and Silence of the Lambs help fund more under-the-radar releases like By Brakhage and the Olmi discs.

Actually, I think it's more about the presentation of an overall dumb movie. The entire package is virtually "how to make a dumb blockbuster 101". At the time, Disney was NOT giving that sort of full treatment on films.

Criterion's Armageddon is exactly what Disney would put out now, but not in 1999.

Anything to help pay the bills.

Of course, that doesn't explain releases like Fanfan la Tulipe. /CriterionForum.org