Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Yeah, I was having trouble figuring out what was actually going on in the Exterminating Angel one.
They might change it if people complain enough like they did with Viridiana, but I'm too scared to go to Criterionforum to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

I think the best thing about the new site is being able to watch trailers for (the newer ones for now) movies in the collection. Also I can't figure out how to watch the "free" movies on the auteur site, which despite being very simple and clean is very slow and buggy.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Nov 26, 2008

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

So I guess the blu-rays came out today (Tuesday)? Anybody got them yet? Since I am unwilling to part with my old Third Man (reissue, I don't want to buy it a third time... lol and as I speak it's on TCM right now) and The Man Who Fell to Earth, I'll probably pick up either Chungking Express (which I have the Tarantino version) or Last Emperor. And on top of that I might get Missing or The Spy Who Came in from the Cold or Europa. Goddamnit why did I miss that DeepDiscount 25% off sale?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

I'm very interested to see how For All Mankind turns out on bluray, I don't know what kind of film NASA shot in though.

And if anyone is part of "the auteurs", this month's festival of free criterion movies is focused on "killers" and has a very nice selection. I highly recommend The Vanishing if you haven't seen it, and Branded to Kill looks like it has a far superior transfer than the DVD, at least on a smaller screen.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

The Criterion website is showing a different cover for Science is Fiction. http://www.criterion.com/films/1286

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Padriag posted:

From the most recent Criterion Newsletter. It's Wings of Desire.

The MGM DVD is already pretty cohesive, although my particular copy seems to have a disc read error when Bruno Ganz meets Columbo. But yeah, I'll only buy it on blu-ray.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

SubG posted:

The fact that Criterion doesn't region encode their DVDs just means that they aren't concerned about where (geographically) their customers play the disc.
I don't want to resurrect this pointless argument but Criterions are all region 1.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

I have a chance to meet Guy Maddin this week, who will be speaking at my university, so I'm considering tracking down a copy of Brand Upon the Brain (which he will be showing as well) and try and get him to sign it. Although I haven't seen any of his movies...

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

If you're not planning to turn around and sell it, what is the point of doing this?

Meet an acclaimed filmmaker? I probably would sell it, though.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

No, I meant getting him to sign it. I'd jump at the chance to see Maddin even though I also haven't seen any of his films yet, because I know I will eventually and I'd be interested in what he has to say. I guess I was just wondering, if you wanted the signature for yourself, of what value the signature would be of a filmmaker with whose work you were unfamiliar.
I see. Well to get technical I was thinking that if I bought the DVD I would have to take the shrink wrap off, because what would the flimsy plastic be worth if it was autographed, which means I would end up watching the movie anyway if I didn't see the screening, which means I would probably end up keeping it for myself. So to answer your question, I don't know.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

So I didn't bother trying to get a copy signed since the only one I could find on short notice was 50 loving dollars. The screening itself was unfortunately not a live narration and score like I hoped (it was the Isabella Rosselini version) but Maddin himself is very down to earth and not at all eccentric. Still, I can't imagine seeing it on DVD being anything like seeing it in the theatre.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Also, the new batch of barebones "Essential Art House" titles:

Forbidden Games
Variety Lights
Richard III
The Hidden Fortress
Ashes and Diamonds
Last Holiday

Last Holiday is interesting because it's never been in the collection. It could be the missing spine number #476.

About time Queen Latifah gets the Criterion treatment.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Captain Charisma posted:

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is going to be CC release. Odd.

Source? I thought Wes Anderson was the only director who got to do that.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Everyone can quit their bitching, I do believe this clinches it for worst Criterion cover:

Maybe it's just a slipcase and they'll have something fancier underneath.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

zeroordie posted:

This was pretty much my thoughts as well. I don't mind the simplicity of the cover art, however, I doubt it's final as it doesn't list Fincher's name anywhere on it. But I dont know, this is definitely pretty random.

I suppose they have to keep the art somewhat commercial, and it's better than what the studio would normally put out, but it's just so boring.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Someone on criterion forum asked Mulvaney about them removing the blu-ray version of Ran from the Coming Soon section:

loving sucks.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK I held off buying Ran just so I could get it on blu-ray and now this :argh:

edit: and I'm still waiting to hear about the blu-rays for For All Mankind, Contempt, and others they named when they first announced the blu-ray lineup.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 27, 2009

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

drat that James Franco, with his rule-breaking list and special page and James Dean-ish good looks!

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

A man after my own heart :swoon:

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I take it you didn't see Blade 2.

Now now, Blade 2 is by far the best/least worst of the Blade movies.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

A Merchant Ivory movie. Boy am I (un)interested.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Soderbergh's Che?
That was definitely my first thought. I missed my chance to see it in theatres and was wondering when the home release would be and this seems like perfect timing.

edit: now it seems like it's playing again in a different theatre in my city since the first time it was here was back in March?

Cacator fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jun 14, 2009

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I'm almost as excited for this as I am The Seventh Seal in HD. It's amazing and probably still up on Youtube for people who haven't seen it. It looks beautifully transfered, too.
Are you talking about Howard's End, My Dinner with Andre or Last Year at Marienbad? (or all three?)

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

zandert33 posted:

Amazon is usually a ripoff for Criterions (unless you catch a good sale or something).

Go for DVDPlanet.com

Or DeepDiscount, which should have the same prices and sales (the 25% off sale should happen in about a month, but they hike their prices up 10-15% first) and they usually have a Criterion-specific sale. Except the shipping costs suck rear end.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

substitute posted:

Deep Discount has free shipping on everything.

I don't live in the US so no, not for me.

Edit: there was once a time when I only had to pay a flat $5.95 USD rate for my order but alas, those days have long since transpired. Plus their shipping was really slow too.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 19, 2009

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Interesting that it's "Blu-ray and DVD" instead of "DVD and Blu-ray". Is something being on Blu-ray a selling point now? Like "Oh, well, if it's good enough for Blu-ray..."

Blu-Ray means higher quality farts

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

There are no Barnes and Nobles in my country and the ones I want are not listed on sale on the website so I wish you all a painful death.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

The Lucas posted:

For you guys who didn't order from B&N. If you're using a Visa card to pay for it, you can use this link link to get free shipping automatically and 5% off.

Whether you're a visa man or not, the coupon codes K3W4T3D or R9C9M3U can be used for 10% off one item. 15% off if you're a member and use H7K9W4P.

The 10% and 5% Visa thing can work together I found. So this covers the tax, shipping, and a couple cents extra.
Does the free shipping apply to Canadian orders? Must know... too many sales... bank account emptying...
edit: it doesn't! drat you all!

Cacator fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 17, 2009

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Macrame_God posted:

I see. I'm wondering because I've already made up my mind that I'm going to get F For Fake and Time Bandits but I want one more thing. For some reason, I'm craving something with some action and/or suspense to it so I'm kind of leading myself into a blind buy, but I don't know what I want exactly. :(

If you want suspense, go with The Vanishing.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

LaptopGun posted:

Is Ran worth owning? Rashamon? Yojimbo and its sequel (sidestory?) Sanjuro? There's my Kurosawa fix. Other movies I may possibly find interesting?
If you've never seen a Kurosawa I'd recommend Yojimbo first because it's awesome in every way. Which reminds me that Kagemusha blu-ray comes out next month and I need to spend some more money.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Picking up Kagemusha for sure. I enjoyed Play Time but can't see myself rewatching it too often.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

soggybagel posted:

I was at a barnes the other day and this kid who was no older than 15 or 16 bought something like 900 dollars worth of criterions. Either he has an awesome job or his parents hooked him up. Needless to say I was jealous.

Then again he probably has no life.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Criminal Minded posted:

Has the whole world gone mad? Am I the only person who just organizes alphabetically anymore?

I organize Criterions by spine number and everything else alphabetically. It would drive me crazy not seeing those numbers increase in a progressive order.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

So in the first place no Criterion release is going to have a 90-day exclusive with Blockbuster. (Is there currently a rental-only version of either of these movies, as I believe there is with Che?) And secondly, if this is a joint IFC-Weinstein deal, how exactly did Criterion manage this with the Weinsteins if their deal over the Ran Blu-Ray fell through?

I've seen Che Part 1 on DVD at HMV. Seems to be barebones, and I'd assume the Criterion will have both parts.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Macrame_God posted:

I still think that Criterion has a pretty good mix of stuff, but you do have a point. I'd really like to see Criterion release more wild and interesting stuff like Robinson Crusoe on Mars and Equinox. Also, how many genuine action flicks are there still left in the Criterion? Outside of the Michael Bay stuff, I can't think of much really.

They had Robocop and Hard Boiled and The Killer.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Man I was just scrolling down to those fake covers and was convinced they were real. Thanks for getting my hopes up you talented bastards.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

morestuff posted:

For whatever reason I find images like the face on this cover to be extremely disorienting. This Star Trek box almost made me vomit:

Sounds to me like you've got some kind of bizarre mental disorder.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

It's like they're looking into a Magic 8 Ball: "Outlook not so good", "Don't count on it", "Ask Again Later"

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

They had a very short contest on Facebook the other day where they gave away a $10 gift certificate to whoever guessed what the best selling title on Criterion.com was this year (it was Science is Fiction, go figure). So hopefully this is something they will continue to do in the future.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

3-disc DVD/2-disc Blu-Ray

•High-definition digital transfers of Che: Part One and Che: Part Two, supervised and approved by director Steven Soderbergh, with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•Audio commentaries on both films, featuring Jon Lee Anderson, author of Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life
•Making “Che,” a new documentary about the film’s production, featuring interviews with Soderbergh, producer Laura Bickford, actor-producer Benicio del Toro, and writers Peter Buchman and Ben van der Veen
•New interviews with Cuban historians as well as participants in the 1958 Cuban Revolution and Che’s 1967 Bolivian campaign
•Deleted scenes
•Theatrical trailers
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Amy Taubin
•More!

NOTE: Che: Part One appears in 2.35:1 aspect ratio. Che: Part Two appears in 1.78:1 aspect ratio.

Classic cover. I am relieved that there is a release date, it popped up twice in my city for no more than two weeks at a time and I missed both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

I went and ordered The Third Man blu-ray from Amazon.com anyway, I suppose I could wait until the 10th but I don't feel like risking it. It's the third time I've bought it, I sold the original version and still have the reissue. From the places I've looked it seems to have disappeared entirely from the nation of Canada.