Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Sporadic posted:

That, Contempt and Walkabout are the only titles left from the original Criterion Blu-Ray press release that haven't had a release date announced yet.

That's fine. I'm not dying to get it. It's just something that seems like it would be nice to own. Also, holy poo poo, I didn't know The Human Condition was nine and a half goddamn hours long! :psypop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Question: Is the version of In the Realm of the Senses on the Blu-Ray the original uncut version or is it the "Producer's Cut" that has a roughly five minutes of footage missing?

Also, stop looking at me like that.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

And just as to pre-empt people who might counter your post, I don't think the token sci-fi/action/horror movies count as "branching out", especially since most of those are early spine numbers (and some are out of print).

I still think that Criterion has a pretty good mix of stuff, but you do have a point. I'd really like to see Criterion release more wild and interesting stuff like Robinson Crusoe on Mars and Equinox. Also, how many genuine action flicks are there still left in the Criterion? Outside of the Michael Bay stuff, I can't think of much really.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Cacator posted:

They had Robocop and Hard Boiled and The Killer.

Yeah...had.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

I was in the mood for watching something fun so I blind bought The Thief of Bagdad and I don’t regret it. I’m shocked that there isn’t more fanfare for this movie in this thread. When it was first announced earlier in this thread it came and went without so much as a peep from anyone. Personally, I love these classic big production movies. I love everything about them. I love how they’re shot. I love how they’re scored. I love the sets. I love the costumes. I love the primitive visual effects. I especially love the vivid Technicolor which makes everything look like they’ve been colored in with crayons. It’s a delightful adventure picture. Also, it has a commentary track with both Francis Ford Coppola and Martin Scorsese. How could anyone say no?

On an unrelated topic, how come Criterion never issued a rerelease of Michael Bay’s Armageddon. We all know Armageddon pulls in mad bank for them so why not spruce it up with a release, especially now that Blu-Ray is the big thing?

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

It's a fun (and beautiful) film, but I think Conrad Veidt is rather weak in it.

I think he does a wonderful job, but it's Sabu who steals the show.

FitFortDanga posted:

They probably don't have the Blu-Ray rights.

Point taken.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Now that Stagecoach is finally confirmed, I really hope they don't pull a Z and make it DVD-only.

It's Stagecoach. They'd be fools to do that.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

A few Criterions I ordered came in the mail today. I can't believe I hadn't noticed yet, but neither of the Micahel Bay Criteirons (Armageddon and The Rock) feature the director's name on the cover. I wonder why. Also, I was pretty amused at the disclaimer on the cover for The Blob as well: The filmmakers disclaim any and all responsibility from heart attacks, fainting, or other damage to the nerves as a result of watching THE BLOB. :lol:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

bmmello posted:

That Stalker one is superb.

I'd kill a man...in front of his own mother...with my bare hands for a Criterion Collection edition of Stalker.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Heh, I just got my copy of Do the Right Thing. I've seen the film half a dozen times so I decide to watch it with the commentary on instead of otherwise. The first thing that comes out of my headphones is Chuck D mentioning how it's the year 1995 and that this is a Criteiron Collection special edition laserdisc. Nice. :lol:

Also, Spike Lee sounds stoned on this commentary. He's talking really freaking slow and it's hard to get any information out of him.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Criminal Minded posted:

Wow, that guy's work in the fake covers thread is amazing. I am loving this:

The crack on the Criterion logo is the best part.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Heh, niiiiiice.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

doctor thodt posted:

Blech. They should really hire that dude who does all those great custom covers.

That was the original cover for when it fist came out on DVD. I was hoping for them to redo the cover for the Blu-Ray. :(

I'm still getting it though.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The Lucas posted:

That's funny. What's it covering up though? It looks like it's covering up the front cover for another film just with the Criterion logo still exposed.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

DVD & Blu-Ray

•New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Wim Wenders, with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•Audio commentary featuring Wenders
•Interview with Wenders by German journalist Roger Willemsen
•Excerpts from the 1990 film Motion and Emotion, featuring interviews with Wenders, actor Harry Dean Stanton, composer Ry Cooder, cinematographer Robby Müller, Samuel Fuller, Dennis Hopper, and Peter Falk
•New interviews with filmmakers Allison Anders and Claire Denis
•Cinéma cinémas: “Wim Wenders Hollywood April ’84,” with Wenders and Cooder working on the score
•Deleted scenes and Super 8 home movies
•Gallery of Wenders’s location-scouting photos, from his book Written in the West
•Behind-the-scenes photos by Robin Holland
•Theatrical trailer
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Nick Roddick and interviews with Stanton, writer Sam Shepard, and actors Nastassja Kinski and Dean Stockwell

Not a big fan of this movie, but it's okay. I'd rent it for a second look.

Now that's a fuckin' cover. I always wanted to see this movie.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

#500: War Trilogy (1/26/10) DVD
#501: Paris, Texas (1/26/10) DVD/BR

And they both come out on my birthday too! Thanks Criterion! :3:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

There's a picture of the inside of the Kurosawa box up.

It really does look like a shoebox...

Yeah, a shoebox full of AWESOME! :hellyeah:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

doctor thodt posted:

The Third Man DVD and Blu-Ray are out of print. If you don't have a copy yet, better try to grab one now.

Motherfucker! I'm glad I have my DVD at least. :(

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Ran notwithstanding, is this the first Criterion Blu-Ray to go out of print?

EDIT: Spelling :eng101:

Macrame_God fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 25, 2009

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Origami Dali posted:

Just to let you guys know, starting November 10th, Barnes & Noble will be having the 50% off Criterion sale again. It will only be lasting for two weeks this time, so start making those lists.

Just in time for the Wings of Desire bluray, so I'm happy.

Officially marking this on my calender. Time to beef up my collection again.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

I have a question and forgive me if it's already been asked, but did they change out the cases for the Blu-Ray release of The Man Who Fell To Earth? I've been thinking about buying a copy for the upcoming B&N sale and I'm curious as to whether or not they switched out those flimsy paper cases for the more durable plastic ones.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Yellow Submarine would be one of their bestselling releases, possibly. MGM doesn't seem to be in a hurry to re-release it, it needs a major upgrade, and a BluRay release would never be so apt.

I went back to watch it again not too long ago and I agree that it's long overdue for a Blu-Ray release. I'd suggest Grave of the Fireflies but I'm not certain as to how easy it would be to get the rights for it. Furthermore, I don't know how eager I would be to watch it again. It's so depressing. :(

I don't think Aachi & Ssipak ever got a North American release, but I don't think it's exactly Criteiron material.

Then again, Michael Bay...

EDIT: Also, Felidae could use a re-release.

EDIT 2: Also, is there an uncensored version of The Plague Dogs available on DVD in North America? It's a great film, but the only copy I know in NA that's still in print is edited.

Macrame_God fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 8, 2009

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

If they get any Ghibli (and let's face it, it's extremely unlikely) I would hope for Only Yesterday. One of their best films, but for whatever reason Disney can't or won't touch it.

Yeah. Disney owns the rights for most of the Studio Ghibli stuff and the folks at Criterion would have better luck pulling the Moon out of the sky with thier hands than getting the rights away from them.

Who owns the rights to Tokyo Godfathers? That would be a good choice.

Also, I just want to mention that I just saw Repulsion for the first time and it blew me away. It's hard to believe that a movie like that was made in 1965.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Well, once someone suggests a Beatles-related title with a straight face, we're already dealing with infinitesimal odds, so we might as well suggest whatever.

True.

I nominate The Little Mermaid for induction into the Criterion. :v:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Look at all these Criterion Blu-Rays I found in the Disney® Vault!

The Disney Vault. Always holding out on us with all the good poo poo. :argh:

Seriously though, if the Criterion decides to invest in animation, which they are long overdue for having done, then it'll be interesting to see which nationality they invest in first. Japan always seems like an obvious choice because they have such an enormous animation market, but it would be nice if they could get some British films like The Plague Dogs, which I know they won't get but you get the idea.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Nights of Cabiria

Bought. :dance:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

I can't believe we all missed the most obvious selection: The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut

Clearly, this is the best answer.

Egbert Souse posted:

Well, Benjamin Button isn't exactly a blockbuster like Ghostbusters or an enormous cultural phenomenon like 2001, but I get the idea. Whenever the Criterion get a hold of releases like these it reminds us that almost anything is possible.

Almost. Disney. :v:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

doctor thodt posted:

Sale has begun to go live.

So far only DVD's are showing up 50% off, but Blu-Rays should follow soon. I'm about to run out to the store to see if the sale is effective there too.

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/u/DVD-The-Criterion-Collection-of-Special-Edition-DVDs/379000756/?cds2Pid=16642&linkid=1402269

Aww, the website doesn't have La Haine. :(

Still, awesome though.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Well son of a bitch. I wonder why it didn't show up when I searched for it. :confused:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Ran is the best of Kurosawa's color films (IMHO of course).

I love Ran. Outside of Seven Samurai it's my favorite Kurosawa. I love it that much.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Jack Does Jihad posted:

This is kind of a dumb question, but I'm probably gunna blind buy some Ozu, as I tried to watch Tokyo Story via netflix but the disc was too hosed up and I only got 20 mins in. I found it to be pretty interesting as I've never really delved into his filmography at all.

That said, what are good places to start?

Question, did you get to finish Tokyo Story? I love it. It's one of my all-time favorite films. It's essentially the ultimate drama. It's the only Ozu I know though. Still, if you haven't seen it all the way through, you owe it to yourself to get it.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

zeroordie posted:

If you don't like Ran I'll buy it from you and give it to a friend or something. I'm also torn on The Third Man; I've got the two disc dvd but can't decide if it's worth it to upgrade to the bd during this sale while I can.

Might as well. You'll never know when it'll appear on BRD again and in this quality.

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Criterions tend to hold their value, which is worth keeping in mind for anyone on the fence about blind-buying.

Tell that to everyone who spent $200 on eBay for their lovely first edition of Salo. :v:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

In the Realm of the Senses was a bad move, though. I dunno, maybe you'll like it.

I wouldn't call it a bad movie. I thought it was a very interesting picture to study and pick apart. I don't know if I could ever bring myself to watch it again (maybe with the commentary on) but I think it's worth watching at least once and with an open mind.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Well, note I didn't say "bad movie", I said "bad move"... as in "not worth buying". It's worth seeing as it has a certain amount of influence and importance, but I imagine very few people watch it more than once.

Oh. I thought that was a typo. :sweatdrop:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's here, but it looks like the Blus aren't part of the sale.

Really? I just got back from my local B&N and I got Last Year in Marienbad, The Man Who Fell to Earth and Pierrot Le Fou all on BRD for half off.

GonzoIsKing posted:

I'm thinking about getting a few more. I'm considering Wages of Fear as a blind buy. My criterions consist mostly of Japanese films. But I do have some Bergman,Lang,Melville,Truffaut and Dreyer and am looking to broaden my horizons a bit. The only heavily represented criterion director I don't like is Godard. Is Wages of Fear a good pick for me?

Get it.

I love Wages of Fear. It's one of my all time favorites. You owe it to yourself to see it. Also, The Human Condition was a good choice too. :)

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

ClydeUmney posted:

Dude, Hausu is the epitome of :psyboom:.

Five minutes ago, I had never heard of this movie. Now I want to see it more than anything. It's like the Crank of Japanese horror. :aaa:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

zenintrude posted:

- The Wages of Fear (What is it most comparable to? Is it exciting and easy to get into?)

I loved Wages of Fear. It immediately became one of my favorites after having seen it. It's hard to compare it to anything because, as far as white knuckle suspense films go, it's the king. Honestly, I can't recommend it enough. You should definitely get it if you have the chance.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Sheldrake posted:

Okay, Juliet of the Spirits or Nights of Cabiria?

I'd say Nights of Cabiria, but that's just because it's out of print.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

penismightier posted:

Golden Age of TV comes out the 24th. Ohhh those sneaky fucks.

Can't you pre-order it?

Also, I got sent two copies of Contempt and was charged for both. I'm curious as to whether I should send the other back and get a refund or if I should hold on to it and sell it later down the line when it becomes harder to find, especially since it's in mint condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

doctor thodt posted:

This is awesome for some of the more expensive items:

Enjoy.

edit:

Rialto Collection $50.62 after member discount/coupon
The Human Condition $27
Cassevetes set $42.18
Essential Arthouse 1-4 $33.74 each

you get the idea

Sweet. I've been looking forward to getting Berlin Alexanderplatz. Looks like this will be my ticket. :dance: