Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Mferkinwalter posted:

Anyone get the Pandora's Box DVD yet? Any thoughts? I'm asking for it for the holidays, and I really want to hear what it's like.

What do you want to know? I just got it and watched it last night. I thought the movie was great, it had some surprisingly complex characters and interesting story. I've only seen a handful of silent films but to me this one is by far the best.

As far as DVD is concerned the video looks nice, although it certainly shows its age with scratches it doesn't detract from the film. The 4 audio tracks seem to be pretty different in tone. I watched it with the orchestra track and it sounds very nice. I only listened to a couple of minutes of the others so all I can say is they seem more different than I expected. The cabaret one doesn't feel right, but that may just be because I had just watched with a different score. The piano one seems more appropriate but still different. The second orchestra track I couldn't get a feel for in a couple of minutes.

The packaging looks nice, it's a slipaces with a digipack an elegant 90 page booklet. I haven't looked at any of the extras so I can't comment on those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Mike_V posted:

Is anyone else wondering if Criterion maybe had in mind with their logo switch something that would look similar for both of their product lines?

I'm pretty sure they've confirmed that this was, in fact, part of their reasoning.

Edit: Here's a quote from the blog on Nov 21

quote:

The new logo:
Some people like it, others don’t. Again, it was a very long debate in the office. We felt that we needed to make the change for several reasons, and here are a few. Many of the studios had adopted the top space on the box, and it was no longer unique to Criterion. The justified right bar was very hard to see in a small jpeg image online, and more and more people are shopping for DVDs that way. We wanted a mark that could easily integrate with our upcoming spring launch of the Eclipse line. The more time I spend with it and see some of the wonderful designs that incorporate the “C,” the more I like it. For the very few of you who have written that you’ll never buy another Criterion disc with the new logo, I think you’re missing some great movies.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 23, 2006

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

MP*DeafRei posted:

edit2: oh well, nothing I actually want until the new releases hit the streets. Too bad I can preorder those at discount.

You can preorder them at a discount at http://www.dvdplanet.com

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Triphos posted:

Pretty decent deal going on at DVD Planet right now: F for Fake, The Honeymoon Killers, General Idi Amin Dada, and a hat for 64.95.

Those are the regular prices for those movies at dvdplanet. So essentially the deal is buy these 3 and get a hat. I guess it's worth it if you want the hat.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

It seems Breathless is coming later this year from the hint in Criterion's newsletter.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Icon-Cat posted:

Being a cheapass in the extreme, I never mind waiting for the free Super Saver Shipping, and since a lot of those discs clock over $25 all by themselves... (shrug)

I always welcome the opportunity when I need to buy a $17 book or something, and have a legitimate excuse to throw on a cheapie $10 DVD to be economical. Can't get Criterion for that kind of money, but you can get a silly comedy :3:

If you were really a cheapass you'd know DVDplanet has ALL criterions at 35% of, all the time. There's nothing special about this amazon deal, other than that it's at amazon.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Triphos posted:

Yeah, but I don't recall them deliberately withholding what those titles would be. It's probably because I wasn't paying that much attention at the time, though.
I'm pretty sure they've temporarily skipped other numbers though. It's probably just a release they're not sure they'll get out in time and it just happens to be 400.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Those of you who don't like that they're releasing already released movies will probably not be glad to hear that the latest newsletter hints at another rerelease: Days of Heaven.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Og Oggilby posted:

Also, CriterionDVD's forum has a blurb from Darren Aronofsky about wanting a Criterion edition of Pi, but not in the cards yet.

That doesn't make any sense to me, the current DVD is pretty feature packed and the movie really wouldn't benefit from a better transfer. I also think it's a terrible movie, but that's beside the point.

Edit: did you mean for The Fountain?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

New criterions coming, including the revalation of what 400 will be:
400:

401:

404:

405:

406:

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 15, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Criminal Minded posted:

:crossarms:

That was unexpected.

No kidding. Looking through IMDB I'm assuming it's this, but there's not really enough there to see why they chose it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Mike_V posted:

Maybe it's just because the forums' background is the same color, but that Breathless cover art looks really bad/weird.

It's the orientation of the text, and the black line down the middle doesn't help. It's the sort of idea that seems original in your head but looks awful when you actually do it. It might not be so bad on an actual DVD that you can rotate, though.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I actually didn't find The Lady Vanishes to be anything more than an OK Hitchcock, but I'm really eager to see the other three.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

lastclearchance posted:

Similarly, am I the only one who has the Rohmer box?
Nope, I do as well, and I don't have Brazil yet. May as well post mine as well. I wouldn't have anywhere near this many if it weren't for those google checkout deals last December with DVDPlanet.

8 1/2
A Woman is a Woman
Au hasard Balthazar
Bad Timing
Band of Outsiders
Charade
Chasing Amy
Coup de Torchon
Cries and Whispers
Dead Ringers
Do the Right Thing
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Forbidden Games
Grand Illusion
Great Expectations
Heaven Can Wait
Ikiru
Il Posto
Ingmar Bergman's Fanny & Alexander(5 disc)
Jules and Jim
Kagemusha
Kind Hearts and Coronets
La bete humaine
Le Corbeau
Le Samourai
Lord of the Flies
M
Man Bites Dog
Masculin feminin
Naked Lunch
Night and Fog
Notorious
Oliver Twist
Pandora's Box
Pepe le Moko
Ran
Rashomon
Rushmore
Seven Samurai
Shoot the Piano Player
Slacker
Straw Dogs
Sullivan's Travels
The Bad Sleep Well
The Browning Version
The Complete Mr. Arkadin a.k.a. Confidential Report
The Double Life of Veronique
The Hidden Fortress
The Killers
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum
The Lower Depths
The Most Dangerous Game
The Passion of Joan of Arc
The Red Shoes
The Rock
The Royal Tenenbaums
The Rules of the Game
The Ruling Class
The Seventh Seal
The Silence of the Lambs
The Third Man
The Wages of Fear
Tokyo Story
Traffic
Tunes of Glory
Unfaithfully Yours
Viridiana
W.C. Fields: 6 Short Films
Wild Strawberries

Box Sets:
Eric Rohmer's Six Moral Tales
Fassbinder's BRD Trilogy
The Adventures of Antoine Doinel
John Cassavetes: Five Films
Andrzej Wajda: Three War Films
A Film Trilogy by Ingmar Bergman
I Am Curious
Yojimbo / Sanjuro: Two Films by Akira Kurosawa

Eclipse:
Early Bergman
Late Ozu

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

IndieRockLance posted:

That is shockingly cheap. Are these all shorts or something? I'd expect a box set like that to go for upwards of 80 bucks.
Eclipse sets have no extras, and he's talking about what the set will be on sale, not regular price. It's still a great price and I'm excited to see those movies.

Also, Criterion has The Idiot listed as 166 minutes, which is the standard theatrical version.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FitFortDanga posted:

The MSRP on the Kurosawa box is $69.95. Criterion's pre-order price is $55.96. I don't know if the DVDPlanet discount would apply to the MSRP or the pre-order price.

Where do you see the running time for The Idiot listed on Criterion's site?

Search for "the idiot" at the criterion wevsite and it brings up a short summary of the film. DVDPlanet's regular 35% discount applies to MSRP. The extra 20% applies to that discounted price when the sale is on.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

IndieRockLance posted:

I spotted Straw Dogs and Dazed & Confused (both $30) at a local used DVD place along with Smiles of a Summer Night ($12). Are they worth picking up? Specifically Straw Dogs and Smiles of a Summer Night since I've seen neither (although I've heard a lot about Straw Dogs).

I really like Straw Dogs, but it's a film I'd hesitate to recommend as a blind buy. Have you seen any other Peckinpah films?
$30 for Dazed an condused sounds like too much since you can easily buy it online new for $25.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Has anyone here actually used DVD Planet? I noticed almost all their 2-disc sets were 5 bucks cheaper than Deep Discounts. I've heard DVD Planet has lovely customer service so I was kinda hesitant to order from them.

I have and haven't had a problem. They ship from the same warehouse as Deepdiscount and I think are owned by the same parent company.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I'm so happy to see High and Low getting a new release, I've been putting off buying it in hopes of this day. The current Vampyr DVD is terrible so a new realease is welcome but since this one says it comes from a 1998 restoration I wonder if the other DVD was from that as well.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Yes the sales are twice a year, in May and November. Buy.com has a bunch on sale until the 22nd, so if you've got one of those Google Checkout coupons that can beat DVDPlanet's sale prices.

vertov posted:

The Image disc used a non-HD restoration made by David Shepard while the Criterion and MoC DVDs will use a HD restoration by Martin Koerber. I'm not sure if the film elements will be drastically different, but the quality of the image should be a lot better and it won't have the annoying boxes around the subtitles.
I'm glad to hear that, those drat subtitles were definitely the worst part.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

zandert33 posted:

Does that now mean that all of Kurosawa's movies have Anamorphic DVD releases, correct?

All the Kurosawa Criterions, yes. I don't think Madadayo, Dersu Uzala and Dodesukaden do, at least not in R1.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

quote:

Our Blu-ray release of Walkabout will be an all-new edition, featuring new supplements as well as a new transfer; we will also release an updated anamorphic DVD of Nicolas Roeg’s outback masterpiece at the same time.
Yay, I really like Walkabout and it's about time it gets an anamorphic transfer.

Also, I guess that e-mail is confirmation that El Norte, Chungking Express and Bottle Rocket are coming to Criterion. I don't think those have been announced before.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I Am Awful posted:

October is going to be awesome.

You do realize these aren't all coming in October, right? It says they'll begin rolling them out in October. That may very well be 6 months worth of releases.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Jack Does Jihad posted:

I imagine they'll start releasing some of the older ones, if I had to guess. I bet Spartacus will be up soon, along with some of their other "flagship" (if you wanna call it that) titles. I bet they won't re-release the newer ones like Mishima for awhile, but I'm just guessing. Let people wait long enough to buy the standard def before releasing the blu-ray.

You would think so, but the Last Emperor is on that list, and The Third Man got it's rerelease a year ago. I do agree that they'll probably focus on big titles, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Brazil, Seven Samurai and maybe Playtime, which got recent remasters.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Maybe it's because this is the first time I've seen the movie the clue refers to beforehand, but that clue is really obvious. I'm glad that boxset is finally coming.

Mike_V posted:

I got a gift cert. to the Criterion Store from my job recently and need something just over $60 total ($10 off newsletter rebate), is the Teshigahara boxset worth it or would I be better off investing in some individual films?

I blind bought the Teshigahara boxset and loved all three movies, but they're definitely unique films that might not be for everyone. They're a little slow and contemplative with a lot of subtext and I can't really think of anything to compare them to, other than each other.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FitFortDanga posted:

Here comes the Ophuls...

That cover art is beautiful, but I have to admit I'm a little disappointed by the fact that it doesn't look like this will be a box set, and there's no Letter from an Unknown Woman, Liebelei or Lola Montes, I didn't expect all three but at least one of them. While all three are enjoyable I don't see myself buying them individually, especially at the $40 price point, and I was looking forward to them too.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Criminal Minded posted:

I was hoping for a box set as well, but really, who pays list price for Criterions, ever?

True, but even on sale $20 is a lot for a single DVD. It's the reason I haven't bought Sawdust and Tinsel and Drunken Angel, among others. Even though DVDs in general seem to be going down in price Criterion seems to be moving towards releasing a larger percentage of films at the higher price point. I'm much more willing to impulse buy at $10 or even $15.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

That's the best deal post I've seen on Criterions. It's going to be really hard to restrain myself from buying a bunch of the titles I've been hesitant to buy.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

That's a great month, I've only seen two Costa-Gravas films and they're both fantastic( I hope there are more to come), more Melville is always good and I'd like to see more Mizoguchi.

Cacator posted:

Is Costa-Gravas one name or two?

It's his last name.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FitFortDanga posted:

Sweet (I wish I knew why I'm not getting the newsletters though). It's been known to be in the works for ages, but it's about drat time we got official (or semi-official, I guess) confirmation. I just hope they release it on Blu-Ray.

I get them, but hotmail likes to mark them as dangerous content, so it could be that you have a spam filter blocking them.

Also, yay for The Exterminating Angel, it's my favorite Buñuel.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I don't think The Taking of Power by Louis XIV will make any difference to that opinion. It's a pretty conventional period piece. There's some interesting subtext but on the whole it's a pretty boring film. I don't get why Criterion would bother releasing it before the 3 WWII films that made him famous.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FitFortDanga posted:

The Exterminating Angel - loving finally. One of my absolute favorites. But why, why, WHY can't Criterion scrape together more supplements for Bunuel? Really, NO ONE was available to do a commentary on this?

This was my first thought too, at least it's coming out and with a feature length documentary that's hopefully interesting, but surely they could find something that's specifically about the film.

Also, I'm glad to see Simon of The Desert coming in at a lower price point, hopefully that will entice people who wouldn't normally give it a chance.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FitFortDanga posted:

Someone at cf.org was at a function where Kim Hendrickson spoke, who confirmed some stuff. Most of this is already known, but here it is:

Except for the Godard films, which I don't really care much about, this is great news, even if, as you said, most if it was known. I'm glad Marienbad is coming on Blu-Ray, and I hope those von Sternbergs are in an eclipse set, maybe with The Last Command.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FitFortDanga posted:

More Bresson would be awesome, especially Four Nights of a Dreamer which is the only one I haven't seen yet.

Do you have any reason to believe it will be Four Nights of a Dreamer? I agree that'd be awesome but there's 6 others that don't have Criterion releases and Four Nights of a Dreamer seems to be one of those titles with 'rights issues.'

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I'm excited for the Imamura boxset, though I had really hoped for more meaty supplements. The other two are pretty meh. I've seen The Private Life of Henry VIII and Laughton hams it up enough to make it decently enjoyable but I didn't think it was anything special. I suspect the others are similar, if you consider the subjects and the fact that they're all around 90 minutes that probably says it all.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Cacator posted:

Source? I thought Wes Anderson was the only director who got to do that.

http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9490&start=0

As one of those who thought it was pretty good I don't see what everyone is so worked up about. The 39.99 price point does seem a bit surprising though.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FitFortDanga posted:

Made in USA - Haven't seen this yet, but pretty sure I won't like it, based on my past experience with Godard.

While I kind of agree with you, this description at Criterion:

quote:

Like a Looney Tunes rendition of The Big Sleep gone New Wave, this chaotic crime thriller and acidly funny critique of consumerism features Anna Karina as the most brightly dressed private investigator in film history, searching for a former lover who might have been assassinated.
makes me really want to see it. If Godard integrated his critique of consumerism into the actual plot, as opposed to having it be a slew of quotations from his characters, it could be really cool. Then again, cool concepts are what make me keep watching Godard despite my very mixed reactions to his films.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Jack Does Jihad posted:

and JEANNE DIELMAN, 23 QUAI DU COMMERCE, 1080 BRUXELLES
We knew this was coming but I'm still happy and it looks to have some good extras. I'm anxious to read people complain that it's boring.

That eclipse set looks pretty cool too.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Movies filmed in Monument Valley I'm going to guess Electra Glide In Blue since it's apparently out of print, the Christmas part just hints at a December release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I'm really happy Z is being released, but annoyed that it's at the higher price point and missing the Costa Gravas commentary, though the interviews may make up for that.

Sheldrake posted:

A lot of birthday money, a lot of a lack of financial obligations. And I wanted to get every drat Criterion off my wishlist, and that took care of everything except Miss Julie, which was excluded for some reason.

If you want Miss Julie it's $19.69 at deepdiscount and you can add the 25% off code to that. I still haven't bought anything on the Barnes and Noble sale but I don't know how long I can resist.