Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Several other Jackie Chan movies being added next month as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Chakan posted:

I come again, hat in hand, and request people to look over the movies leaving on june 30th then tell me what they think I should make sure to watch. I only know a few of these, so don't be afraid to shout out anything, even if it seems obvious.

Apart from what’s been mentioned, Phase IV and the big heat

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I would actually watch some of her shorts first. For a lot of her career that was her focus, and the channel has a ton of them. Uncle Yanco, L’Opera Mouffe, and Black Panthers will show you just how incredibly broad her range was in a hair over an hour

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Franchescanado posted:

They'll sometimes go away for a month or two and come back. Sometimes it's just a few of their films. Fellini's Nights of Cabiria has come and gone from the service two or three times now. Same with Mulholland Drive. The Pedro Almodovar collection they had last year went away, but Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! stayed on the service. And apparently they added High Heels recently, which wasn't a part of the collection, and I didn't read any update that it was added.

Recently they did a Celine Sciamma collection for her films, but Tomboy was going to be removed at the end of the month. A month later and Tomboy is still around. It's a little weird! :shrug:

I noticed that most of the Bunuel that was leaving last month is still up, too

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I just don't really see the draw. I have no need of a 4K tv. Many of my local cinemas still project in 2k, including the one I work at. You can project a 2k criterion blu ray transfer on a 50 foot screen and it looks totally fine. The jump from 2k to 4k looks like bigtime diminishing returns unless the specific viewing environment calls for it.

it's not really about the extra resolution for 4k, it's about getting hdr. it's definitely nothing like the jump to hd from dvd though

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Chakan posted:

It’s the middle of the month so I’d like to know what movies are leaving the channel that we should be sure to watch. Leviathan has been on my list for a while so that’s one. There are several particularly old movies leaving & I don’t know how easy they are to see, so if any of them are fun or interesting don’t hesitate, but I do have Nosferatu on physical media so I’m not worried about it.

All three of the Harvard Sensory Ethnography movies are great, not just Leviathan (Sweetgrass and Caniba are the other two). All the Tarkovsky movies. Both the Kelly Reichardt movies (River of Grass and Meek’s Cutoff)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Cacator posted:

For someone who already has way too many noir and heist movies, is Asphalt Jungle worth a blind buy?

if you're into that sort of thing as you clearly are, big yes

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I don’t really care about versions of a movie per se because you can go down that rabbit hole forever and not determine what the original is (see in this case the stuff about when the Faye Wong song plays) let alone what’s the best version of a film but the green filter on in the mood for love just looks like poo poo. If that’s what the movie looked like originally or what Wong wants it to look like, it looked bad and he wants it to look bad

Chungking and fallen angels look good in the new versions so it’s w/e

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Are the versions of the Wong films that they put up on the channel this month the box set versions? I loaded up in the mood for love and skipped around for a few seconds and it didn’t look like the screenshots at all

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Samuel Clemens posted:

It'd be interesting to know how their selection process went. Citizen Kane, The Red Shoes, and Mulholland Drive are obvious choices given their pedigree, but I didn't expect to see Menace II Society so soon.

They’ve been making a concerted effort to get more POC and non masc directors into the collection and onto the channel, i imagine there was an element where that intersected with the rights they could get and the length of time since the films in consideration had gotten new releases.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Samuel Clemens posted:

That makes sense. (And also makes me hopeful we're going to see more by Charles Burnett down the line.)

That’s funny, I definitely thought “I’m kind of surprised it wasn’t killer of sheep, they’ve really highlighted that movie a lot lately”

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

FancyMike posted:

Killer of Sheep is on dvd from Milestone. Not sure if they still have distribution rights, but if so they recently signed a deal with Kino.

I don’t keep up with rights stuff at all, I know it’s always hard to find Burnett movies and when they go up on the channel it’s just for a month.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Raxivace posted:

Umbrellas is awesome tbh.

Has anyone seen Demy's Rose of Versailles adaptation? I was thinking of watching that in a few days because idea of Demy doing live action anime is very funny to me for some reason.

Yeah I’m surprised to see so many people bounce off of umbrellas, I love it. The mix of such a bittersweet plot with the lyric structure is really cool

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lumbermouth posted:

the boutique blu ray etsy rabbithole

The what

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

FancyMike posted:

https://mubi.com/lists/japanese-movies-all-time-best-200-kinejun-readers

It's a little old, but here's a top 200 Japanese films list from Japan that I think is an interesting read as someone from the US.

Doesn't seem to reflect the supposed anti Kurosawa feeling at all. Interesting that even in Japan they won't give credit to any other animation directors beyond Miyazaki. A similar list by English language speakers would probably be pulpier, with more animation and more directorial variety, but I bet it would be pretty similar.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

VoodooXT posted:

I'd take it with a grain of salt since Kinema Junpo readers are pretty much the Criterion people of Japan, so they're more well-versed and openminded than the average Japanese film goer.

I guess I wouldn’t be particularly interested in the average person’s opinion. The average American probably says Avengers or Shawshank or something

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

So I just watched The Keep. I loved the experience, though of course it’s heartbreaking to see something so obviously truncated, but the edits along with the mood, amazing effects and music, create this dreamy illogical atmosphere that I appreciate in its own way. So that brings me to two questions:

Has anybody ever read the book this is based on? By F Paul Wilson? I’ve been getting into reading some great sci-fi/horror novels and I think getting the whole story would be really satisfying.

My other question is, as people discovering this again thanks to Criterion are wondering about a restored cut, what has been the biggest miracle Criterion has accomplished? Not so much with restorations, but specifically found films, restored extended cuts and the like. Would a theoretical restored directors cut of The Keep be their most ambitious release?

afaik the keep was never finished per se. mann's intended cut didn't have the visual effects finished before wally veevers died. i'm not sure that's so bad because even at 96 minutes the keep drags pretty badly in the middle, and you have to figure a lot of what got cut was the highlander love story plot. Plus the movie as is establishes that the "villain" is the embodiment of the victims of the holocaust and he never does anything but kill nazis before highlander turns on his flashlight so that's pretty funny.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Wizchine posted:

Iirc from the novel, and maybe this is obvious in the film and I'm just being a pedant, is that the entity doesn't give a poo poo if the Nazis are good or evil, he's doing it to gain power (and because he likes killing I guess). Later it's useful to curry favor with the Jewish professor because he thinks the man can be a useful tool.

My understanding from a friend who read the book is this is explicit there but it’s not even implied in the film. The highlander exposits that gargamel/lemagrag is evil, that’s it. Nothing in the movie indicates he’s anything really but a monstrous protector of Romanians in some vague way. It’s weird as heck!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gripweed posted:

I got Cure. I hope it lives up to Kurosawa’s previous work I watched, his cameo appearance as himself in Koji Shiraishi’s horror mockumentary Occult.

it's very good but come on, you ask the impossible

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gripweed posted:

I'm crushed to discover the movie's not actually called that

Looks like it was released under that title in at least some areas. It's true enough for my heart

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

he also suggested, as an alternative, a movie that Criterion already released

he also admitted that his great granddad was a plantation owner in pre-Castro cuba lol

lmao every loving time

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Saw that Your Name is coming to Criterion Channel in February, which is a weird choice. I love that movie to death and would recommend it to everyone here to check out, but it doesn't seem to be in the same wheelhouse as other Criterion-approved movies, even if it's part of the otherworldly romances they're showing.

It's definitely a poppy, easy film and I know anime is sometimes a stretch too far for people, but there are incredible moments in it that would make it a totally worthwhile watch. Great twists, stellar animated sequences, and catchy music too. As a movie they're bringing to the channel in February, it makes perfect sense to check it out for Valentine's. :3:

Go in knowing as little about the plot as possible and enjoy. I think it has a lot to say about a myriad of subjects but I also get people not seeing much depth in it either - it's a big, try-to-please-everyone kind of movie.

The criterion channel has an extensive godzilla collection, a ken russel collection, escape from new york, and the quick and the dead at the moment, i'm not sure they could be said to have a wheelhouse

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gaius Marius posted:

Their wheelhouse is whatever they can get the streaming rights to

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I really like how the Channel has themed collections, sizzle reels, and descriptions that actually make you want to watch the movies in question. There's a very fun element of discovery to it all and I've watched some great movies I wouldn't have otherwise because of it.

yeah they certainly have an editorial and presentational style, but they'll throw on just about anything they can get. the fact that they get stuff no one else tries to get is the big draw, but any movie on criterion is going to be better presented than elsewhere, too. arrow also does this exact style (and they very obviously have the same backbone UI and so forth, I think they both got it off Vimeo?)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SeductiveReasoning posted:

Love Criterion Channel but their bitrate and compression is kind of poo poo and this live channel is way worse than usual. Just murdering the grain, macro blocking everywhere.

hm. i never have this problem. i get much better quality on criterion than most other streaming services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

there's gotta be 20+ movies with that title, alright folks is time for your mother rankings