Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
Semi-random: does anyone know what the quality of the Fox Lorber La Collectioneusse DVD is? I really don't think I can afford the Criterion Rohmer box anytime soon, but I don't want to buy a DVD with a poo poo transfer just because I'm impatient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

vertov posted:

DeepDiscountDVD is having a 40% off sale on Criterion titles. Say goodbye to your money!

http://www.deepdiscount.com/Criterion-Collection_stcVVcatId476504VVviewcat.htm

Anyone know a way I can get the Rohmer box cheaper than through this sale? If not I think I'm going $60 into debt.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

caiman posted:

Thanks for the heads up! I bought Fritz Lang's M. Haven't seen it, but have heard good things.

Am I the only one who found this really funny?

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Macrame_God posted:

What part? That he only suspects that "M" is a great film or that he doesn't seem to know that it's in the public domain and he can download it for free at archive.org?

No, the part about how he hasn't seen it but has heard good things. :v:

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

MP*DeafRei posted:

Sir or maddam, are you under the misimpression that Fritz Lang's M is a silent film?

Certainly not! I am merely making oblique reference to the fact that the man who identifies the killer (whom I always think of as "M" because of the chalk mark and also because I can never remember the character's name) is blind, and thus has not seen M, but has heard things. Which, if you are a fan of Grieg, might be considered "good".

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Cacator posted:

Don't you think that's an incredibly vague thing to find funny?

I didn't think so when I posted it but I'm beginning to be convinced otherwise.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Barnes & Noble is having a buy two, get one free DVD sale. For the most part it's not worth it because their prices are so high, but it's not a bad deal for Criterions, especially if you have a B&N membership (or know someone who does).

EDIT: e.g. Three of the $39.99 retail price Criterions for $71.98+tax total, or $64.78+tax if you have a membership.

STEVIE B 4EVA fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 1, 2007

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Blood Wedding

I am very interested in this, though I haven't read the Lorca play in ages.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

I think it's interesting which ones many people have and which ones nobody has. I'm surprised that so many have the Cassavetes box. Similarly, am I the only one who has the Rohmer box?

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Although 92 isn't exactly an untimely death, it's still a loss. His movies on Criterion are all superb, and An Actor's Revenge (which Animeigo is supposed to be releasing in 2008) is one of my absolute favorites, a drat near perfect film.

I love the quote of his that the New York Times included in their obituary: “I just make any picture I like or any that the company tells me to do,” he was quoted as saying in World Film Directors.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Any news on whether the fixed Mala Noche discs are ready? I didn't want to send away for the replacement when there was going to be a long lag time.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

#432 - MISHIMA: A LIFE IN FOUR CHAPTERS

(no cover art yet)

- DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Paul Schrader and cinematographer John Bailey
- New audio commentary featuring Schrader and producer Alan Poul
- The Strange Case of Yukio Mishima, a 55-minute BBC documentary about the author
- New interviews with Donald Richie and John Nathan, collaborators and friends of Yukio Mishima
- New interviews with Bailey, producers Tom Luddy and Mata Yamamoto, composer Philip Glass, and production designer Eiko Ishioka
- A new audio interview with coscreenwriter Chieko Schrader
- A video interview excerpt featuring Mishima talking about writing
- Theatrical trailer
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Kevin Jackson and a piece on the film’s censorship in Japan

I'm not QUITE as fond of this movie as I used to be, but it's still a must-buy. Nice juicy extras.

What are the odds that this will have the Roy Scheider narration? (Also, any idea why that was replaced in the first place?)

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Og Oggilby posted:

- Optional English and Japanese voice-over narrations, the former by Roy Scheider, the latter by Ken Ogata

gently caress yeah

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Shepitko: The first 2-disc Eclipse release.

The Raymond Bernard set was also only two discs.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

oops, shows what I know

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

I Am Awful posted:

YES. :swoon:

Now get some Hal Hartley, guys! Unbelievable Truth should not be this out of print.

That went out of print recently, right?

I'd be more interested in the ones that never hit DVD. Although I suspect Flirt would not exactly become a Criterion best-seller.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

That one was really obvious. I never figure them out and I immediately knew that one.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Amarcord

Agreed. I'd also nominate The 400 Blows but I doubt I will find anyone agreeing with me in this thread. Nanook of the North is kinda dull, really staged, and borderline offensive, so I'm glad someone restored it but I don't think it's a very good film.

Rounding out my list:
Chasing Amy
Slacker
Sans Soleil
(but I loved La Jetée so this one doesn't count if we're counting by release)

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

RaydaArab posted:

And what is with the Virdiana and 400 Blows hate? The sequels to 400 are what suck. I borrowed that box set from a library; Jean-Pierre Léaud was a charming actor as a kid but he acted the same exact way when he got older. So I guess I would say that the Doinel Box set sucks.

I actually like Léaud in everything else I've seen him in. I just didn't really care about his character in The 400 Blows.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Jack Does Jihad posted:

That Upgrade Program isn't very practical.

It's better than double-dipping, at least.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

OH poo poo GUYS

(Exterminating Angel)

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

There's a brief note about the pacing of Criterion Blu-Ray releases, at the bottom of an interesting Gizmodo article about how Criterion preps films for HD: "They plan to release two films a month in Blu-ray next year, with HD releases ramping up as sales shift from DVD to Blu-ray."

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Should be new announcements later today.

They might announce 1991: the Year Punk Broke since its director is the one giving his top 10 in the newsletter.

Then again, if I remember correctly what's holding them up is negotiations with the Kurt Cobain estate over some Nirvana footage, so even though I'm pretty sure they have the rights, that Criterion may never come out.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Is this The Friends of Eddie Coyle? Please tell me this is The Friends of Eddie Coyle.

(edited to remove img leech)

STEVIE B 4EVA fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 20, 2008

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

edit: Awesome, they have some non-Criterion films up for download/viewing here: http://www.theauteurs.com/films

L'age D'or, Cops (Buster Keaton), and The General.

Those are all $5. There are a bunch of other free ones though.

edit: After clicking around on the site, I've got to say that if they expand their library so that people can use the site effectively as a ranking site (like Criticker) they may have something going. The free streaming movies is pretty great and in general the design, while almost parodically Web 2.0, is not bad. The forum is pretty terrible though. A combination of bad posters (already) and a horribly organized, convoluted branching structure make discussion pretty useless except maybe within the purview of discussing films that stream on the site. (The "festivals" part of the forum might actually be useful too.)

STEVIE B 4EVA fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 26, 2008

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Not so much a clue as a straight-up announcement: Pigs and Battleships

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

SubG posted:

Buta to Gunkan (1961)

really dude? if you're not going to write 豚と軍艦 why even bother?

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

h_double posted:

And House of Games, where when you open the case the DVD is on the left and the booklet is upside down.

Out of curiosity, how can you be sure this is intentional and not just a packaging mistake?

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

462: The Last Metro (DVD/BR)

463: Generale Della Rovere

464: Danton
(no art yet)

465: Dodes-Kaden

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Cacator posted:

So I guess the blu-rays came out today (Tuesday)? Anybody got them yet? Since I am unwilling to part with my old Third Man (reissue, I don't want to buy it a third time... lol and as I speak it's on TCM right now) and The Man Who Fell to Earth, I'll probably pick up either Chungking Express (which I have the Tarantino version) or Last Emperor. And on top of that I might get Missing or The Spy Who Came in from the Cold or Europa. Goddamnit why did I miss that DeepDiscount 25% off sale?

I rented the Chungking Express Blu-Ray and it's gorgeous. (In case you don't read the blog, the transfer has Christopher Doyle's approval, even though they got it too late to say so on the packaging.) I'm definitely going to trade up from the Miramax DVD. The transfer is still the Tarantino version, if that means anything (which is to say the credits include Rolling Thunder Presents or whatever).

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Kino is prepping special editions of Fallen Angels and Happy Together for March 31st. Kino's quality is hit and miss, but I think they'll do a pretty good job on these. No word on a possible Blu-Ray release.

Thank God for this. I can think of few DVDs that need a remaster more than Fallen Angels.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

TheYellowFog posted:

It says that it has been remastered to its original ratio (and notes on widescreen TV's you should have black bars on the sides), but it still stretches on my TV to fit the 16:9. I think it might just be my relatively old DVD player from 2002 that is doing it.

That's almost definitely caused by your TV, not your player.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

SubG posted:

There's really no such thing as `heavy encryption' for DVDs.

To the extent that it's never been entirely successful, you're right, but to the extent that no one has tried, you're entirely wrong. Ask Disney about there being no such thing as 'heavy encryption' for DVDs.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

SubG posted:

The copy protections on newer Disney disc have nothing to do with encryption. Unless you're talking about their policy of only shipping screeners on specially encrypted discs...which has nothing to do with what we're talking about, because these discs require special players.

Now you're just being willfully obtuse. If you want to call out RaydaArab for writing "encryption" when he clearly meant "copy protection" (or me for using the word he did) then just loving do it. But we are talking about copy protection. Re-read RaydaArab's post.

STEVIE B 4EVA fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 3, 2009

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

SubG posted:

I didn't bring up Disney. As near as I can tell RaydaArab was asking why Criterion discs aren't protected like most of the other discs he's seen. Most other discs use only region encoding.

There is no indication that his experience with Criterion DVDs is different from his experience with other DVDs. The discrepancy is between his experience and his expectation.

But if you don't want to actually use a little reading comprehension you can go ahead and respond to me as though you were right all along, as you've been doing all afternoon.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Cacator posted:

I have a chance to meet Guy Maddin this week, who will be speaking at my university, so I'm considering tracking down a copy of Brand Upon the Brain (which he will be showing as well) and try and get him to sign it. Although I haven't seen any of his movies...

If you're not planning to turn around and sell it, what is the point of doing this?

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Cacator posted:

Meet an acclaimed filmmaker? I probably would sell it, though.

No, I meant getting him to sign it. I'd jump at the chance to see Maddin even though I also haven't seen any of his films yet, because I know I will eventually and I'd be interested in what he has to say. I guess I was just wondering, if you wanted the signature for yourself, of what value the signature would be of a filmmaker with whose work you were unfamiliar.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

My only guess is Cronos, which I haven't seen.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Cacator posted:

drat that James Franco, with his rule-breaking list and special page and James Dean-ish good looks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005