Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

FitFortDanga posted:

Speculation at cf.org is that #482 has to be 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her. One of my least favorite Godards.

Makes sense since the print was touring with Made in U.S.A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Hasn't it been long established that the animals in the hint are usually meaningless?

Well, the Buñuel animals threw everyone for a loop. Also the image name specifically notes "Parisian bunnies."

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

I hope that's not all for this month, though. Wasn't Wings of Desire supposed to be a given?

I think pushing back The Human Condition messed everything up. It's the missing September release now.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Friedpundit posted:

Went to my local Borders today to pick up the new Seventh Seal. I made a beeline for the foreign DVDs and found... nothing. This terrified me as the Borders here had gotten rid of their foreign section for a brief period once before. As it turned out, they were just moving things around, so I go for the foreign DVDs and find... the old edition. For 40 dollars. So I checked the website (which I had already checked before I came and they had the new one pictured). It said it was there, only it was marked up $10 from the MSRP. I figured this was a mistake and I was right. I did some searching and found the new edition nicely tucked in the Action/Adventure/Sci-Fi section. :ughh:

That said, it looks very nice. The packaging is very minimalistic and all blacks and greys, very well suited. I don't like that the discs have big Criterion 'C's on them, but whatever. I'm also a little bothered the spine reads 'The Seventh Seal' with a 'A Film by Ingmar Bergman' underneath, so all the text is small and kinda hard to read.

Wow, with all that really important stuff going against it, I hope it's a good movie!

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Have any of you seen the new Criterion ad campaign? I spotted this one on https://www.theawl.com:

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Origami Dali posted:

with this sale on top of a B&N member card you're getting close to 60% off.

More specifically, you're getting 55% off.

edited for clarity

STEVIE B 4EVA fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 8, 2009

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

LaptopGun posted:

I am now the proud owner of The Seventh Seal. Question: I got the newest one, but whats the differnece between it and the old one. Before I crack open the shrink wrap

Bold is new; italics is both. The big difference is that Disc 2 is Bergman Island (although I think Bergman 101 was on the old disc).

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* Introduction by Ingmar Bergman, recorded in 2003

* Audio commentary by Bergman expert Peter Cowie,
with a new afterword
* Bergman Island (2006), an 83-minute documentary on Bergman by Marie Nyreröd, featuring in-depth and revealing interviews with the director
* Archival audio interview with Max von Sydow
* A 1989 tribute to Bergman by filmmaker Woody Allen
* Theatrical trailer
* Bergman 101, a selected video filmography tracing Bergman’s career, narrated by Cowie

* Optional English-dubbed soundtrack

* New and improved English subtitle translation
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Gary Giddins

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

LaptopGun posted:

I did notice that they only keep 1 copy of a movie out at any time (fake urgency factor).

This is probably not "fake urgency" but because the store only ever stocks one or zero of each Criterion since they move so slowly. Sometimes they stock up specifically for sales, but even so I doubt every store would have stocked multiples of every Criterion, because even with the sale there are going to be a lot of distributor returns, which costs B&N money.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Hey FitFortDanga how can I find out when/where the new Criterions are announced next month? :twisted;

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Rushmore was briefly on backorder everywhere (including from Criterion proper), which I guess was a mistake re: getting a new batch pressed or whatever. But it should be back in normal circulation now.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

I actually like the Picasso-esque image fine but that font does not work on that cover at all.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Someone at criterionforum suggested it's Kurosawa-related since his centenary is in 2010 (and the image is wackyhorse_K.jpg). But even that seems like just a guess.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Oh poo poo it's some serious new release action!

492: A Christmas Tale

BOX ART COMING SOON

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES:

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised by director Arnaud Desplechin
* L’aimée, Desplechin’s 2007 documentary about the selling of his family home
* New documentary featuring interviews with Desplechin and actors Mathieu Amalric and Catherine Deneuve
* Original theatrical trailers
* New and improved English subtitle translation
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Philip Lopate

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

493: Gomorrah (DVD and Blu-Ray)

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES:

* New high-definition transfer, supervised and approved by director Matteo Garrone (with uncompressed stereo soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* Five Stories, a 60-minute documentary on the making of Gomorrah
* New video interviews with Garrone and actor Toni Servillo
* Interviews with writer Roberto Saviano and actors Gianfelice Imparato
and Salvatore Cantalupo
* Deleted scenes
* Theatrical trailer
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Chuck Stephens

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

494: Downhill Racer

Disc Features

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer
* New video interviews with screenwriter James Salter; film editor Richard Harris; production manager Walter Coblenz; and former downhill skier Joe Jay Jalbert, who served as technical adviser, a ski double, and a cameraman
* Audio excerpts from a 1979 American Film Institute seminar with director Michael Ritchie
* Theatrical trailer
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Todd McCarthy

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

495: The Golden Age of Television

SPECIAL EDITION THREE-DISC SET

* The live kinescope broadcasts of Marty (1953), Patterns (1955), No Time for Sergeants (1955), A Wind from the South (1955), Requiem for a Heavyweight (1956), Bang the Drum Slowly (1956), The Comedian (1957), and Days of Wine and Roses (1958)
* Commentaries by directors John Frankenheimer, Delbert Mann, Ralph Nelson, and Daniel Petrie
* Interviews with key cast and crew, including Frankenheimer, Andy Griffith, Julie Harris, Kim Hunter, Richard Kiley, Piper Laurie, Nancy Marchand, Jack Palance, Cliff Robertson, Mickey Rooney, Carol Serling, Rod Steiger, and Mel Torme
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by curator Ron Simon and his extensive liner notes on each program

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

I've seen A Christmas Tale but I definitely want to watch it again. Gomorrah was good but not great but I think both are good pulls for Criterion.

Personally, since I'm not a big Criterion (or for that matter DVD) buyer, I always get more interested in the stuff that wasn't available. I was actually pretty surprised to discover last month that Downhill Racer was not on DVD. I guess this goes partway to explaining why? And the Golden Age of TV set looks like a great rental.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Here's what really puzzles me about A Christmas Tale and Gomorrah--both of these are IFC titles, and I had thought IFC and Weinstein had a deal of some sort. I could be confused--what I know for sure is that both companies had a "90-day exclusive" deal with Blockbuster.

So in the first place no Criterion release is going to have a 90-day exclusive with Blockbuster. (Is there currently a rental-only version of either of these movies, as I believe there is with Che?) And secondly, if this is a joint IFC-Weinstein deal, how exactly did Criterion manage this with the Weinsteins if their deal over the Ran Blu-Ray fell through?

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Mike_V posted:

I'd really like to see Criterion start to branch out into niche genres instead of offering up an exhaustive collection of canonical directors' oeuvres.

After reading NE's post in What Movie Did You Last Watch? I was just thinking that The Street Fighter would be a great title for Criterion. On the one hand, they are probably the only DVD company that could get away with charging as much as they would have to in order to pay for the restoration. On the other, they don't have to pay for the rights, (and can secure the rights of their particular transfer,) so it wouldn't be too expensive either.

And just as to pre-empt people who might counter your post, I don't think the token sci-fi/action/horror movies count as "branching out", especially since most of those are early spine numbers (and some are out of print).

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Criterion is screening a number of films at the "ATP" (All Tomorrow's Parties) event in New York. Among them are Hunger (Steve McQueen), House (Hausu), Mystery Train and Paris, Texas. All of these except Hunger have been rumored to enter the collection, but this would appear to be additional confirmation.

Keeping in mind, of course, that last year they screened 1991: The Year Punk Broke and then did not release it.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

chime_on posted:

Just because they didn't release it doesn't mean that they won't. At ATP I watched their hi-def transfers of a few movies that aren't on the current Blu-Ray schedule.

Admittedly 1991 may be a special case because of potentially prohibitively expensive music rights, but Dave Markey has basically indicated that, for the moment, it is not under consideration for a Criterion release.

I would be very, very happy to be wrong though!

e: typo

STEVIE B 4EVA fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 21, 2009

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Macrame_God posted:

It's Stagecoach. They'd be fools to do that.

A better way to look at it would be to say that if they don't put out a Blu-Ray, that's a really strong indicator of how well classic film is doing on Blu-Ray.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

ITV is releasing BluRays of The 39 Steps, Henry V, and Hamlet in October, so there's more possible remasters Criterion can release. I recall The 39 Steps not looking "great" at least in comparison to The Lady Vanishes.

I doubt they'd do that so soon after putting The 39 Steps out as an Essential Arthouse title (Sep 9 or something).

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

juan the owl posted:

Um, why not just sell your old copies of the movies and use the money to buy the boxset?

WHAT A SLAP IN THE FACE!!

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

The Lucas posted:

I like this one better than the Advent Calendar one that was floating around for a bit.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

FFD where are you getting all this info (aside from the Newsletter clue)?

e: Whit Stillman's Top Ten is also pretty funny/useless. "I like all of them!"

STEVIE B 4EVA fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 4, 2009

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Not sure if we'll be getting new announcements today. It's already 7:30 on the east coast. They have done them later than this before, though.

Probably not today since they just got back from ATP this weekend.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Monsoon Wedding just got pushed back to November 20th. Leaving Z and the Makavejev set as the only October titles.

Where was this announced? criterion.com still has it as Oct 20.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Which Audrey Hepburn movies would you want exactly? I'm not particularly fond of her as an actress.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

from the Facebook page:

Eric Dienstfrey posted:

I hate to be negative, but I just want to make sure you NEVER release a film by Joe Swanberg... ever. Sorry to be negative, but I'm worried it might happen.

:lol:

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Beauty and the Beast, The Naked Prey, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, and For All Mankind among my younger cousins.

"and for my favorite youngest niece, Beauty and the Beast!"

"YAYYYYY--this doesn't look like Belle...."

"Just wait till you watch it!"

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Macrame_God posted:

Yeah. Disney owns the rights for most of the Studio Ghibli stuff and the folks at Criterion would have better luck pulling the Moon out of the sky with thier hands than getting the rights away from them.

Well, once someone suggests a Beatles-related title with a straight face, we're already dealing with infinitesimal odds, so we might as well suggest whatever.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Look at all these Criterion Blu-Rays I found in the Disney® Vault!

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

I can't believe we all missed the most obvious selection: The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut

STEVIE B 4EVA fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 9, 2009

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Criterions tend to hold their value, which is worth keeping in mind for anyone on the fence about blind-buying.

(I could have sworn someone already wrote this, and I was going to quote it, but then I couldn't find it.)

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

He keeps using multiple copies of the same coupon so he probably wore out his goodwill with that employee.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

doctor thodt posted:

edit: crap ^^

owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

cryme posted:

I'm real interested in what you guy have spent money on recently

Yeah can we have a separate Bought & Thought thread? Or I guess since nobody is watching these yet (or else Rate the Last Movie You Watched would work) can we not post about what we bought? I mean, we all know that the sale is going on, and we can all do basic math. WHAT A DEAL! Yeah. We know. I'm happy to see people ask for and get recommendations but this is turning into a Coupons thread. Hey! Why not start a separate thread there or something?