Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Blind bought Last Year At Marienblad, High and Low, Days of Heaven, Kiss Me Deadly, and The Music Room. Haven't been disappointed at a Criterion yet, so either I just know my tastes well enough or I delude myself into liking things that I buy. Either way, looking forward to watching these!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

You bastards convinced me to get both Veronique and Charade. I hope you're happy.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Aw man, Barnes and Noble just canceled my High and Low order. Boooo.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Rambro posted:

For today only, The Battle of Algiers and Island of Lost Souls are 50% off at Barnes & Noble.

I dunno if it's for today only, but The Thin Red Line is similarly at 19.99.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

robix smash posted:

It's all books and DVDs on bn.com, one day only. They sent out an email this morning. Wish I wasn't broke. I'd be buying High & Low for certain.

High and Low doesn't seem to be available on bn.com, other than through random other sellers. It's not available on Amazon through Amazon, either, and it was cancelled in my original half off sale order. Is there some great demand for High and Low that I was not aware of or something? And perhaps more importantly, is there going to be a reprint?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Thanks and drat you. Bought Pale Flower, High and Low, and The Killing. Free shipping, woo!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

friendo55 posted:

With the B&N sale going until the 21st, this means that films released in this time period will be part of the sale as well? Or is it just movies released before November 1st? [I'm mainly referring to the Three Colours Trilogy on the 15th]

Past sales have allowed releases coming that month, like The Music Room or High and Low for the last sale.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Can someone sell me on Fanny and Alexander? I heard a lot of praise for it back when it was announced, but nobody ever explained why exactly.

Also, are there any other codes that we can use to save a scratch more?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Argh why isn't 12 Angry Men discounted? It seems to be the only one that isn't!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Safe Driver posted:

E7E4K8K at checkout will give you an additional 7% off the order total.

This doesn't work on pre-orders it seems, so if you're going to order things like Fanny and Alexander and Three Colors, you might want to hold off a bit to save some extra cash.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Jack Does Jihad posted:

So what are all the good coupons for this sale? And isn't there a way to get an additional discount by ordering through some link on B&N's site?

The only coupon I know of is E7E4K8K, which is good for 7% off the entire order, but only for things in stock. It's weird, but I guess I can wait until the 15th for things to get released.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Raspberry Bang posted:

I don't know what to get! Any suggestions on blu-rays? I wanna know everyone's favorites or must haves.

I don't know what your tastes are, but Seven Samurai is probably my number one pick. I'd also consider M and Seventh Seal pretty essential. If you want flat out beautiful to look at, I'd say The Thin Red Line is simply the most beautiful Criterion blu I've seen.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Jay Dub posted:

What are some of the more lighthearted titles in the Criterion blu-ray stable? Just yesterday I picked up High and Low and The Magician (blind buys, each), but neither strikes me as particularly upbeat. Looking for something to balance those out.

Chaplin's films, Modern Times and The Great Dictator, are obviously great comedies. I also really enjoyed Tati's Playtime, but not as much as the Chaplins. Broadcast News is written and directed by James L Brooks, but it's more of a Comedy/Drama. Still very lighthearted, but it has its sobering moments.

I'll second FitFortDanga's recommendation for Charade and House. Charade has great interplay between Hepburn and Grant, and House in particular is great to watch with others because it is so goddamn bizarre. Fairly certain you can make a slew of drinking games out of it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

And here's some photos of the Three Colors packaging.

Christ that is a beautiful package.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Pigeon Shamus posted:

So all of my order just shipped (piece by piece, which is not what I asked for, but whatever) - except for Le Samourai. In fact, I checked my order status today and they just straight-up cancelled it! What the hell is going on and how the hell do I get my copy of Le Samourai?

The sale is still going on, you can try another order. This happened to me with High and Low from last sale...after the sale was over. My guess was that they ran out of stock and instead of doing the cool thing and asking if you wanted to wait, they just canceled it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Just a heads up, Amazon's Black Friday deals has Seven Samurai as one of the deals. Not sure what the price will be, but if you somehow don't get it as part of the Barnes and Noble deal, you may want to gamble on Amazon's price.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Going for Blow Out, Paris, Texas, and La Jetee/Sans Soleil. If anyone wants to talk me out of these purchases, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Of course this is all moot if I can't access the site by evening.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

fenix down posted:

You just gotta believe in yourself! I just brute forced my way through the whole process for Thin Red Line, Bottle Rocket, and Darjeeling Ltd.

I want to believe, but...but... :negative:

I mean I guess I can just wait for the B&N sale, whenever that is, but...still! Immediacy!

Edit: Argh Paris, Texas sold out. Wait, why is THAT the movie people are buying on Valentine's Day? Why not something actually romantic, like Wings of Desire or Salo? :(

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 14, 2012

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

It sounds like you're all implying that Space Jam wasn't a great movie.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Criterion put up a restoration demo for Chaplin's The Gold Rush. These sorts of things always amaze me, since you very rarely see the difference in the prints, but they literally point it all out to you. There's some wizardry at work with those Criterion people.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

So I was looking through the Criterion catalog to see what I may want to get during the sale. I'm pretty set on getting The Gold Rush and Blow Out, but could use some opinions on The Samurai Trilogy, The Lady Vanishes, Chungking Express, Vanya on 42nd St. and La Haine.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

robix smash posted:

Oh my. The sale can be coupled with the buy 2, get 1 free sale. Just got Still Walking, High and Low and My Life as a Dog for $43.

That somehow made the sale more dangerous than it usually is. Oh God my wallet, threatening to open for those movies that I sorta kinda want the Criterion of but for this price...

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

I can't remember, but are the November releases included in the B&N Fall Criterion sale? Or, was it just the first half of the month's releases?

I think movies that are released the month of the sale get the discount as well, but don't hold me on that. There may be exceptions if the movies come out late in the month.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I thought I was safe until I saw that they allowed preorders from December. drat, there were a lot of good movies coming out in December.

:(

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Satorr posted:

Shochiku Horror Eclipse set comes out on the following day. Pre-orders made at the discounted rate online during this time are honored even after the sale ends, correct?

I imagine that the worst that could happen is that they cancel the order.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

sexily posted:

Yeah, getting this on a lot of titles actually. I added about 6 movies to my cart the day the sale started and then walked away because that was too much. Came back today and a bunch of the movies I had in my cart are no longer on sale. Kinda bummed.

It looks like they took pre-orders off the sale.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Brian Fellows posted:

I made an order (with a preorder in it) and didn't get an email, AND nothing is showing up in my recent order history. Did that happen to anyone else? This was a few days ago.

I got an e-mail saying that my order was ready to ship sometime in December (it waits until all pre-orders can be filled, I assume). I ordered on the first day of the sale, so maybe they got wise.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Is there a reason why the Criterion blu-ray for Benjamin Button on Amazon is much cheaper than it should be (costing $5.99)? Even aside from the Thanksgiving week sale, its MSRP is listed as $22.98 instead of the $39.99 it is on criterion.com. Also, the picture on Amazon has the usual blue plastic of a blu-ray, as opposed to Criterion's colored plastic. Did I miss something?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I had to force myself to finish Days of Heaven. All the shots were absolutely gorgeous, but that alone does not a good movie make.

How are Malick's other movies? I saw Badlands, which I thought was okay but not great. From clips that I've seen of his others it is just one stunning image after another, but I get worried because I can't help thinking they're just going to be like Days of Heaven and I lose my desire to see them.

I was going to say Malick as well. Not to say that I hated it or that I was technically bored or anything, just that his movies tend to be more meditative or meandering. Tree of Life or even Thin Red Line was much more slice of life than a standard narrative with conflict or anything. I love the hell out of his movies though, and those gorgeous images probably contribute a good deal.

Sans Soleil and Solaris also have that similar sort of pondering feeling to them.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

Maybe there is just no way to like a Malick film the first time through.

I think a part of it is, and I'm only speaking for myself here, is that I keep expecting the movie to have a standard linear narrative, but it never will. Somehow it takes me the whole movie to realize this, but then on subsequent watches, I can focus on things like themes and whatnot without worrying too much about "story."

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

So...when's the next sale?

Edit: Also why won't Criterion release City Lights? How does Verdoux compare to the rest of Chaplin's filmography?

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 17, 2012

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Does anyone know what the deal is with Criterion and Wes Anderson movies? Like, why are Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums Criterions but not Fantastic Mr. Fox or Moonrise Kingdom? I assume Criterion has some sort of time threshold and the latter two are really new, but I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Sporadic posted:

(with advertisements)

BOO!

Aren't those advertisements there with paid subscribers too?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

So a friend and I watched Last Year at Marienbad, and I think it sort of highlights the importance of the Criterion collection. If it weren't curated by Criterion, I, and I would assume many others, would have assumed that Marienbad would have been exactly the kind of movie one would associate with the term "pretentious French film" and dismissed it as such. But in the context of it being part of the Criterion collection, and I'm not sure what this says about me, I gave it deeper consideration, and while I'm not sure I "enjoyed" the movie, it did give me a reason to appreciate it. I realize it is probably intellectually lazy of me to "give up" on the film if it there weren't some external factor basically saying, "Hey, look at this," but I'm still grateful that factor was there.

That being said, I have no idea what that movie was about.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Hewlett posted:

How did you get it to work? I tried to put in the coupon code when I put in my order and it said it didn't meet the eligibility requirements (i.e. since they're already doing the 40% off thing, it can't be combined with any other offer, I thought).

If it's a member coupon, I assume it checks to see whether you're a member before it applies.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Alright, last gasp of the sale for me upon payday tomorrow. Which ones should I focus on of the following?

Rosemary's Baby
Island of Lost Souls
Kiss Me Deadly
Anatomy of a Murder
Three Colors: Blue, White, Red
M
12 Angry Men
Diabolique
Two-Lane Blacktop
In The Mood For Love
Tokyo Story
Young Mr. Lincoln
Bigger Than Life
Safety Last
House
Sullivan's Travels (already have the Sturgess box set, but still love this damned movie)

I have no idea what your tastes are, but M, The Three Colors, and In The Mood For Love are all amazing. House is campy as hell, and while I realize that is its charm, I can't help but feel that those other movies are just masterpieces that will sit with you for quite a while.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Thank God on City Lights. That's an instant purchase (instant being next available B&N sale), but wow, Frances Ha. Is that a record for being Criterion'ed?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Hewlett posted:

This reminds me - does anyone else ever run into this problem? I love Wong Kar Wai, but I haven't seen In the Mood for Love. I'm torn on getting it in Criterion BR sooner rather than later so I can see it, but then I think, "Oh, it's on Netflix, I shouldn't shell out money for it." Weeks and months pass, though, and I don't watch it.

I haven't even delved into the special features, but In the Mood For Love shot up as one of my favorite movies. I don't care where you see it (the correct answer is BR though), but watch it. I'm still hoping that Criterion gets the rights to The Grandmaster.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Wezlar posted:

I really love Kurosawa, and Samurai movies in general, which is how I discovered the criterion collection in the first place. But I'm trying to watch more classic american movies. I'm really interested in everything which is half the problem I guess. I should probably just start clicking on poo poo.

Honestly, just look through their catalog and see what movies interest you. I think a good 75% of my Criterion purchases are complete blind buys/recommendations from people in this thread, and the hit rate is much higher than the miss rate. I'd blindly recommend The Sweet Smell of Success, which is one of those movies I would have never known about if it weren't for Criterion and has since become one of my favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

Incidentally I haven't seen Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy either, is it worth checking out?

It's a good movie, but if you're expecting a spy movie along the lines of James Bond or Bourne or really anything that even resembles excitement, boy howdy will you be disappointed.