Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

i am not so sure posted:

Oh God Solaris Blu Ray!!

With any hope this will spur Kino to get their asses in gear on the other ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

i am not so sure posted:

That's awesome, looks like it will be a habit of theirs.

They did change up the cover art for both Seventh Seal and Seven Samurai, and seeing as Solaris could use it, plus the fact that it starts with S, my money's on a revision.

I hope it's something along the lines of this, from the Polish poster:

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I don't think the new Solaris cover is bad, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't expecting something better. I kind of like that the ocean is on there, though.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Aorist posted:

the real question becomes: what are they going to do now when they release Mirror? (pleeeaaase)

Pretty sure Kino's got those rights, but their bluray covers have looked pretty decent so far, and they're definitely far better looking than most of their DVDs.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Boy I sure hope they start using Ollie Moss more. I can't wait for the inevitable Criterion release of Convoy.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

FitFortDanga posted:

2: Docs of Louis Malle - Calcutta was okay, haven't seen the others yet

Watch Vive le Tour ASAP. It's fantastic. This is my favorite Eclipse set from what I've seen.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I think the only Eclipse set I've actually seen is the one with the Louis Malle documentaries, and they were all astoundingly good.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
For some reason B&N doesn't have Chungking Express in stock, which is easily the number one thing I wanted, so I'm gonna go with Stagecoach on bluray, and then Ivan's Childhood and The Last Wave on DVD, both of which I doubt are getting a nicer treatment in the near future.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Fanny and Alexander on bluray yeeessssssssssssssss.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Aaargh, this is so tempting. Basic necessities...or Chungking Express? Life is so hard.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Amazon put up some OOP Criterion and Essential Art House DVDs at good prices here.

Now's your chance to get Peeping Tom.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

kaujot posted:

Also, buy copies of Fanny and Alexander to give away to other people.

Like me! :)

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

FitFortDanga posted:

Apparently confirmed as a shot from Sans Soleil

I may be in the minority but a big gently caress yes to that. I've long been hoping they would upgrade it.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Sans Soleil is a draining experience, but I could watch it annually. It's so dense that every time I see it, it feels like there was a bunch of new stuff added. Chris Marker's work is just out of this world to me. I'll buy it.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I stood there in the store trying to decide between Chungking Express and Fanny & Alexander for a while until I just said "gently caress it" and got them both. This sale is both a blessing and a curse.

And boy howdy, am I glad I live in a city that has a Barnes & Noble store w/ movies. I did their shipping last July and it was such poo poo.

e: Apparently whenever I want to watch F&A I'm going to have to open it up and think about FitFortDanga because his avatar is staring me right in the face.

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 19, 2011

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

penismightier posted:

I only had enough money for one movie, so I didn't even enter the store. I had to send my friend in to get Island of Lost Souls because I knew there's no way I'd have walked out with less than 5 movies.

Good call, because seeing Last Year at Marienbad and The Wages of Fear just beckoning for me was excruciating.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

barkingclam posted:

Would you recommend that for someone who hasn't seen much Bergman? I've only seen The Seventh Seal (which I liked), but I'm unsure about dropping money on a five-DVD set on someone I'm not that familiar with.

I had only seen The Seventh Seal, and I had merely liked it, and then I watched Fanny & Alexander and fell in love with everything I've seen from Bergman thereafter (and F&A is my favorite).

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Nobody's more homeworky than Antonioni, and as a result I've never watched any of his films unless it was actually for homework. It is pretty interesting homework though.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Pfirti86 posted:

Also, motherfuckin' Ran is my favorite Kurosawa flick (and I've seen a lot of them). Dodes'ka-den doesn't get enough love either.

I agree with both of these statements. The color stuff is just more appealing to me (not to say the B&W work is terrible or anything).

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Holy loving poo poo yes. I just watched it last month and it is a phenomenal film. Everyone buy it. Don't even think. Just buy.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
It's kinda like those except way more manic and kinetic.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

barkingclam posted:

Does anybody have the Chris Marker set with La jetee and Sans Soleil? I've been thinking about picking that one up: I enjoyed the documentary Marker did about Ran (AK, I think it was called) and want to see more of his films. Would anybody recommend it?

If you liked AK then there's little doubt you can get into his other stuff, though fair warning, Sans Soleil is definitely less grounded and more cerebral, but amazing. If you have a blu-ray player wait 'til it gets released on February.

Also, not Criterion, but seeing as I get kind of giddy when someone mentions they like Marker, you should see about renting The Last Bolshevik, which is similar to AK insofar as it's about a fascinating filmmaker.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Are they implying the Samurai Trilogy with those three samurai? I love that first one.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
And both movies are brilliant thrillers with enough unique aspects to make it a necessity to see them both.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I'm honest-to-god afraid of what high definition might reveal in Grey Gardens.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I really wanted Letter Never Sent more than anything, but seeing as that doesn't come out 'til next month, settling for Sans Soleil/La Jetee on blu is a more than welcome consolation prize.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

kaujot posted:

No one "settles" for Chris Marker; one just remembers that his films are what you meant to buy in the first place. :colbert:

A fine point. I want an Eclipse set for his more obscure stuff that is pretty hard to get here, like, oh, I don't know, One Day in the Life of Andrei Arsenievich. Are you listening, Criterion?! :argh:

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I love the hell out of the Samurai Trilogy, especially the first one. I can never get the music out of my head.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I've actually been told that a black border around subtitles makes it way harder for those with learning disabilities like dyslexia to read text. Still, I don't see what's so hard about providing a myriad of options for subtitles.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Sometime this month I'll go to the store to pick up Letter Never Sent, and if they don't have it I'll go with Hunger.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
As old-hat as it looks on the outside, the Rublev DVD has a really sexy transfer.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I don't really want the whole trilogy but it's a price I will pay to have Koyaanisqatsi on bluray so I can watch it once a week.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Oh gently caress you, Criterion. I just feel so obligated to take advantage.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I think I can find the will to say no, mostly because I'm just pretty satisfied with the ones I have. But I kinda want to get Hunger...

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

friendo55 posted:

Does anybody have their own 'desert island' Criterions that aren't obvious choices?

I don't know if The Cranes are Flying is obvious or not but that would be the one for me. And I've never met a soul who didn't love it.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
gently caress me, gonna have to upgrade Ivan's Childhood for sure.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Dangerous Person posted:

Black Top has to look incredible in high definition, though.

I'd be more stoked to hear those roaring engines with improved sound.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Maybe they're just actively trying to annoy that one guy who freaks out about ratios.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Just double checking: You guys are 100% sure that December preorders will honor the half-off price?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
They're all really exceptional samurai films. The first is my favorite but they all have great music, cinematography, and sword fights.