Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

doctor thodt posted:

The Third Man DVD and Blu-Ray are out of print. If you don't have a copy yet, better try to grab one now.

Only CC Blu-Ray I have so far. Hopefully it gains more value than my copy of Straw Dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Macrame_God posted:

Ran notwithstanding, is this the first Criterion Blu-Ray to go out of print?
Website seems to confirm that as such. Could it be because of this thread : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3219536

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Got Ran, Contempt and Nights of Cabaria for $65. Not bad considering they're now OOP. By comparsion, the cheapest used Straw Dogs version (which I have) on Amazon is $27

As a result, they are my first Kurosawa, Godard and Fellini films I've bought. Are those are good films for those directors considering I've seen little else from them?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Macrame_God posted:

Well, my copy of Nights of Cabiria has yet to ship yet and I bought it at the beginning of the sale. I'm starting to think I've been had. :(

B&N had told me my copy would be shipping December 1st so maybe it's around that time for everyone else. They probably needed to getting to get all their copies together anyway due to it being OOP.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Macrame_God posted:

The copy of Nights of Cabiria I ordered from B&N has yet to arrive. I got an email from B&N telling me that they're out of stock and if I still wanted the product to go to my purchase history on their website and confirm that I was still interested. They kept telling me that they're determined to get me a copy if I want it so bad, but I'm starting to get worried. It's been a month now and no Nights of Cabiria. :(
Don't get your hopes up. They canceled my order of it after sending me Ran and Contempt. They probably oversold stock or were given less or no copies of the film.

It stinks for me since my wanted to expand my knowledge of Fellini which constitutes of just the first 20 min. of La Dolce Vita(I should rent it again). Maybe I should look at region 2 for a copy instead.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Which films set to go OOP are worth the money to buy at this point? I know some of them are important enough (Grand Illusion) but which versions would work in terms of them being a definitive version and never likely to be repeated by Studio Canal .

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

azechiel posted:

I just watched Straw Dogs today and thought it was amazing. Easily the best Peckinpah movie I've seen.

Same here although it's the only Peckinpah film I'm seen (bought the Criterion after finding out it was OOP). I should watch it again.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Had to stop into B&N for a magazine and decided to pick up a few discs for myself

Complete Jean Vigo
Great Dictator
Kiss Me Deadly
Paths of Glory
Breathless

I suppose I should've picked 1 in color or semi-recent but the selection wasn't great and these seem to be acceptable except to my wallet.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

robix smash posted:

Yikes. $23 for the Seven Samurai bluray in the Amazon sale.
$23? I see $31 currently

Still OK but B&N is a larger discount now

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Egbert Souse posted:

The Gold Rush and The 39 Steps are definite buys. I've been underwhelmed by Chaplin's film mainly from seeing only the 1942 version. The silent is supposed to be a much better film.

I do hope they speed up the rest of the Chaplins since there's at least eight more releases to go.

I have the region 1 DVD and I agree, the 1942 version is a bit jarring to see after watching the 1925 version.

Considering the 1st 3 were from volume 1 of the 2 volume Chaplin Collection, I expect Limelight to be next to round it off.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Nice to see Harold Lloyd getting the Criterion treatment. I expect that they'll push out his other works like they've been doing with Chaplin. Hopefully Speedy is next but odds are it'll be The Freshman if anything.

Things to Come and Shoah seem slightly interesting although that'll have to wait until my wallet's replenished.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

FreudianSlippers posted:

A quick question:
Is it at all possible to play Criterion DVDs on a European playstation 3?

I just bought a bunch of movies but forgot to take into account that my old player, which could play some region 1 movies for some mysterious reason, broke a few months back. I've been to a store that sells really expensive DVDs and it had Criterion blu-rays marked as unplayable but not the DVDs so I'm not really sure if I need to get myself a multi-region player or not.

Criterion's discs are Region A locked, Europe is Region B so no

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Is there a way to find all the videos that Critierion has on Hulu? The site just seems to group them in catagories

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Thanks, I should've checked Criterion over Hulu

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
If anyone still has money after Criterion sales, Costco has a few new Criterions in stores for $20 each. While it might vary, I picked up It Happened One Night, La Dolce Vita, The Great Beauty & Tootsie.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Raxivace posted:

There are days when I think Seven Samurai is the best movie ever made. I will say the movie is a bit more of slow burn than you may expect though, at least the first time watching it.

FWIW I watched Lawrence of Arabia for the first time recently and thought it was terrible. I know it's based on historical figures and events, but the whole "Look at how great this white guy is for helping these brown people!" angle seemed kind of racist to me, but even worse than that it's just kind of boring.

I feel the same way, I felt no connection to anyone in the film and since it ended with everybody arguing with one another, pointless. Cinematography does not a film classic make.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Every time I see the name Diabolique in this thread I think "whoa has criterion done a release of Danger Diabolik?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTcGTEK0Q2g

This doesn’t count?
https://youtube.com/watch?v=uvRBUw_Ls2o

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
My first thanks to a Jeopardy clue on it last night will likely be Rashomon due to it having piqued my family's curiosity. I've seen it but haven't gone though the extras so that'll be interesting.

Hopefully they won't mind the subtitles

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Egbert Souse posted:

It was leaked on Facebook that Janus Films is re-releasing Paris is Burning in June, so that'll likely get a Criterion edition.

Someone must be a fan of Pose at Janus. The timing checks out.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Still, I need confirmation that 1984 has the Eurythmics score or no buy.

Given that score was requested by Richard Branson and not the director, I'd be surprised if it was.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I think having Godzilla for #1000 is a great choice. Criterion looks for important classic and contemporary films and while they aren't French New Wave or Wes Anderson, to deny the big G a spot in film history to deny film itself. He is likely the gateway character for a lot of people to see Japanese cinema and to have all his Showa films in one place as intended for everyone to see for the first time is a tremendous accomplishment.

Besides, #100 was the Beastie Boys. If they can get a milestone release, so can silly monster movies.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Gripweed posted:

For All Mankind is bad?

Maybe the Apple TV+ series?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

cvnvcnv posted:

HBO Max
HBO + Max
HBO owns Cinemax
HBO Max does not include Cinemax

I don't get it. Glad they'll have some good stuff on the service, though.

AT&T sees Cinemax as little more as a clearing house for old mediocre WB/MGM movies, about as valuable as HBO Zone

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
My last film before these times was Onward, hated it

Guess I'll have to go to the library to watch the Paramount titles. Luckily, they have a sizable Criterion collection.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Cemetry Gator posted:

I suspect that they'll stick at the $40 mark. Criterion is already priced too highly, and if you go too high, you just can't sell them. $60 for Citizen Cane isn't going to sell.

Of course it wouldn't sell. It'd be too high and Criterion wouldn't sell a movie made by The Asylum

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

he just died like yesterday, didn't he?

That's likely why the question was asked. Dead guy/gal spike and all

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Wizchine posted:

They are going to replace it...

...with a picture of Big Daddy Kane.

I would've thought the bird with no eyeball myself.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I'm more surprised that Disney would allow Criterion to access a Pixar title so to me it's a welcome addition. It's not the first Disney title to get the treatment so trying to be a gatekeeper for the brand is a fool's errand.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Sight ond Sound released their decennial list of the greatest films of all time

https://www.bfi.org.uk/sight-and-sound/greatest-films-all-time

Criterion of course had no problem putting up their list of films they have including the new #1

http://www.criterionchannel.com/sight-sound-s-greatest-films-of-all-time

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
For what it's worth, Wikipedia now puts the film up on a movie's page if it's public domain in the US. They don't have every film yet but it looks to be a recent change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Surprised no one has posted this yet but The New York Times did a article on them (free for goons)

Sure, It Won an Oscar. But Is It Criterion? https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/29/...e-android-share