Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Wally Joyner posted:

This is easily my favorite Roadkill car. A while ago I posted few bits about the Baja SC/Rambler
I know where one is and have seen it in person. It's pretty bad-rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

That cameraman should try out for the NYPD because he was easily putting a pace or two on those guys without losing his breath. Gear weight aside, that's pretty impressive.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Puddin posted:

It was apparently a guy on a skateboard filming.

That makes way more sense. Issue official skateboards to the police.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

BitBasher posted:

Shouldn't a car that expensive have an LSD to stop that one legged burnout?

I can't really think of any Merc that has an actual LSD in it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Grakkus posted:

Guy tries to start a barnfind Fiat 850, finds a surprise under the bonnet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXUcwwfNv8U

Bonus digging through decades of animal poo poo and piss without gloves or a mask

The first couple minutes are the funniest YouTube video I've seen in awhile.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Deteriorata posted:

Not automotive, but pretty cool nonetheless:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt00QzKuNVY

For me, it happens so fast that the white face of it still appears sorta pink for a few frames until my brain realizes what it's looking at has changed.

Sorry to anyone who used to be a professional rubik's cube solver, because now you are unemployed.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
MTOD definitely seems to have a lot of technical teething issues that tell me they aren't taking it seriously enough. Broken video players, non-loading thumbnails, dead links, bad navigation, client-side JS errors breaking other parts of the page... you can't really fart out a spec to an outsourcer and have them put together something Netflix-grade. If you need new features or to support a new platform, now you need to make big technical decisions about supporting it.

It's not like starting a new spin-off cable channel (which Hot Rod has failed at before); that's YouTube. It's more like building the TVs and the whole distribution network, and it's only going to get more expensive as the US starts to choke video traffic unless you pay ransoms to ISPs and backbone providers.

It has to be like your primary product: you're not getting nothing out of YouTube in this department, and I think a lot of former cable-TV MBAs are going to realize this over the next couple of years when "let's make our own Netflix on a shoestring budget" turns out to be more expensive staff-wise even after the assumed cost savings from TEN/Discovery-style consolidation. By then, though, the daily-active-user and new-subscription quarterly bonuses will be spent and they'll be on to the next teat.

Is YouTube getting selfish? Yeah, absolutely. Is this going to do a measurable amount to offset their increased overhead so they can compete on less money/views? I don't think so, but they obviously do. Maybe it's a Discovery long-bet to piss money down a hole until they find a strategy that will keep both MT and Discovery alive in the brave new world.

I can definitely see the business case they pitched to make this happen, and they likely didn't have a lot of choices: I can't see the next decade for it. TV is the next newspaper.

It's worth pointing out Roadkill magazine also folded last month (although I think that was a given: a premium $10USD mag supposedly about beater life that features fluff luxury car reviews on high-quality paper felt like a brand mismatch made in Hell). The real Roadkill magazine would be giving Murilee Martin amphetamines and having a college student transcribe the resulting tapes into photocopied 'zine format.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 20, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ847fUSgHE

Now i want a car that skip to about 2:10 when it actually starts with the car doing poo poo.

Now i want a car that can power wheelie everywhere :(

I see that this one is a little more closed-course so he doesn't get another trip to the court system, huh?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Qmass posted:

oh man, @ 1:00 in that video (dato #6) gently caress that thing stopped hard.

That poor 240Z :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

um excuse me posted:

Hey can I get channel recommendations going? The recent exodus of many different content providers from YouTube because of their policy update has left my subscriptions pretty barren. Yes I am talking about more than just Motortrend.

A few channels I'd recommend, maybe a surprise to no one, is Bad Obsession Motorsport, Finnegan's Garage, and EVO.

The only one you need to watch is Tiny Kittens's stream of newborn cats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PowGFq6X3Co

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Fo3 posted:

I watched the newest one last night and I'm in awe of his rust repairs (cutting out, welding, bending/shrinking, dent repair), huge pity he shows none of that on camera or any sheet metal workshop tools he must have, but you get to see he can repair properly- not just make a door out of bog/bondo. Most of the vids are just stoned/drinking and loving around or dog parts though.

There are a ton of other auto body videos he's done on that channel. There is no way he's not either a pro or spent a very long time being a pro, and not at a Carstar chop-shop.

The Model A restoration series has some good fab work and he takes it a little slower than normal (it's hard to hold a camera and bang out panels at the same time).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igsr-0-E910

The FJ45 patch panel video is slower paced too, and has some really cool tricks for lining poo poo up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U12eJgooDsg

Nothing can compare to his Easy Rust Repair video, though. There is nothing like it on the internet and you absolutely need to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihK8mWH02rk

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 1, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Fermented Tinal posted:

The last 25 seconds of this ad for No Frills (a grocery store chain) is so loving AI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muc_iFP3WVo

I really feel like we're on the cusp of something happening inside Western civilization that will place the beater and weird shitbox front-and-centre.

I mean, that thing is the end of cheap consumer credit and the extinction of the middle class, but if I get to have flat-blacked GMC Safaris popping low-and-slows in the parking lot of my local billionaire-owned grocery store? Sign me the gently caress up.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
More real 80s cars, doing real 80s things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybQImSZbh4k

Looks like an amateur hillclimb in Japan in 1988. Keep your eyes peeled for the fresh-off-the-showroom-floor Maxima and the downright rowdy G-nose Datsun Z.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 5, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

nmfree posted:

If the customer wouldn't take the hint about finding new ones instead of repairing the old ones, I doubt they'd be interested in making new ones, either.

I can't imagine this guy's hourly rate is any cheaper doing removal than fabricating.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Thief posted:

i got to drive a Pao around for a bit and the interior reminds me of it

The Pao is a rebodied K10 Micra/March. I sure hope the March Superturbo doesn't have the same nightmare e-carb those things have.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Yeah, I want that.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

The mangos are my favourite Toyota by far. That one is done out to the nines with so many awesome period-correct parts. Pity they're almost all gone.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

wallaka posted:

When I was installing tires for a living years ago, Michelins were a joy to balance, but the wheel isn't perfectly true, you're hosed because the sidewall will transmit any minor vibration or shake into something noticable. They'd fail the "road force" test every time and it was usually easier to change to Continental, BFGoodrich, Toyo, any other tire.

There were a lot more steel wheels back then, which probably made the issue worse.

That's interesting, I never thought about different brands being harder to balance. Here in Canada, steel wheels are still popular for snow tire use, which probably means more of them are bent as folks (and lovely traction control) overcook corners and slide into the curb for an involuntary dynamic alignment.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

I'm really curious what kind of adhesive that is. That's some seriously strong stuff.

Citroen DS21 cruise cam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IesepDfqtzM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

bolind posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoYWCGofVQw

This lady popped up on my 'gram feed. Watch the whole thing, she's very AI. Three words: RWD, LS-powered Golf. Using the angle grinder as a hand warmer between sheetmetal sessions.

Driving the thing for cross-town moves with no floor!