Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Same happened to me. It's 2:00 and I should be in bed. I've even seen that video couple times before. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

bung posted:

I don't buy it and I don't have a tennis ball to try it out.
I wouldn't be that surprised. Apparently you can unlock the doors on Mazda 3 by hitting the door in the right spot.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

ijustam posted:

They don't call em wiggle wagons for nothing :v:
Nice to see others use those lethal trailers too. Three winters back one of those nailed 23 in one hit.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Nitrox posted:

I can't believe they have expected to sell those things anywhere in the world. When I think "messerschmitt", I imagine German fighter planes.
I think few tens of thousands of them were made.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Nitrox posted:

How did they sell outside Germany, Italy or Spain if you don't mind me asking?
This page has the best info of production numbers I could find with a quick search.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Top Gear - James' Salfa Romeaab Limousine

That is one of the more insane ideas they've had.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

The Disappearing Car Door

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

ThwartedEfforts posted:

Don't normally pay attention to drifting but this was an eye-opener:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61PNx9WUbao
The skill is definitely there, but this video showcases what I dislike about drifting. You have nice long straight, yet you just have to keep your car sideways. Drifting usually seems so forced. There seldom is that feeling of "I took that corner a bit too fast and the rear got little loose, but no worries, I just powered through it".

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Fart Car '97 posted:

You're complaining that drifting makes it feel like they are forcing their cars to drift :psyduck:
Pretty much. Drifts are awesome when they happen accidentally. Driver brakes a bit late and has to start turning in while still braking. The rear breaks loose but the driver is still in control and gets through the corner in moderate drift. It doesn't get much cooler than that. On the other hand I have trouble thinking of a sillier thing than driving on a straight track and forcing your car to go sideways.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

oxbrain posted:

Jackie Stewart -"The ford tempo is a real drivers car." :psyduck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Ws_Bp7WYA
I interpret that as non-real drivers couldn't keep it on the road.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

JointHorse posted:

I think Timo manages to say that his head hurts, so I'd say it's not related.

[Ninja-edit] Found a translation in the comments:

Rautianen: Over the jump
Grönholm: where it hurts? Where? Where? where it hurts? Will i stop? where? is it ok? is it ok or will i stop!
Rautiainen: "it's ok" (he's saying yes)
At that point he also tries to say "no" for the stopping, but isn't really able to and it just comes out as a groan. At least with the rear end incident he was still able to curse. :(

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

If F1 was like that even I would watch it.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

deviant. posted:

That's not what he said though :)
No, but that's how I expected people to interpret it. I knew it was F1, but no F1 race I've ever seen has been remotely like that, except that one video from 80s.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

NihilistCanada posted:

Russian, not Soviet(though really that is just a matter of semantics.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hesaGoYfyV8

God drat that is a lot of wheels.
Is anyone else wondering how the hell those things survive the launch. There's quite a lot of fire around.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

More awesome soviet offroaders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk1_L137Okc

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Vader posted:

Little 4G63 powered Lancer on the skid pad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hg0KW6DpBo
Am I the only one who's never been able to appreciate a burnout against a brake? The only proper one would be straigh ahead when the tires simply can't handle all the power going through them. May be because of seeing videos of my friends doing burnouts on Toyota Yaris 1.5L.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

tractorcrusher posted:

Top Gear- Veyron vs. Eurofighter: http://www.dpccars.com/car-videos/10-31-07page-Bugatti-Veyron-vs-EuroFighter-Typhoon-Jet.htm

I never realized the spoiler doubled as an airbrake...
The best part was the "... and YouTube will have a field day." I think this was the first time I saw Hammond after the crash. Does he sound like that all the time or was he just suffering from flue?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Fifth Gear crash testing 15 year old Volvo 940 and 3 year old Renault Modus, the first supermini with 5 star Euro NCAP rating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3ygYUYia9I

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

deviant. posted:

That really surprised me. I would have thought that the Volvo would fare much better than it did. I thought they had been on crumple zones and the like for many years. Apparently safety engineering has improved quite a bit.

Kaptainballistik posted:

Not sure this passed..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F06LjugtIUo&feature=related
I'd say the Volvo has some form of crumble zones, if you compare it with the Brilliance. The Renault just had more advanced zones and the biggest difference is probably the strength of the frame. There's been quite a lot of advancement in high strength steels. Even the chinese can't use them cheaply. The Smart car is a good example of that. The safest car would probably be a Merc S-class or similar with the Smart cabin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju6t-yyoU8s&feature=related

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

coldfire07 posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hfljB2wQD8

I guess this goes in AI?
That reminds me of the Timberjack walking harvester prototype.

Cat Terrist posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOr4ekEZ49s&NR=1

Now this is how to plow snow - with a train!

(Okay, it's cool for me because I never even imagined such a thing)
Really an awesome sight, should check the countless other similar videos on Tube. For example this video where the train met it's match.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

What the hell, haven't these people heard about dumptrucks.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

RealDealNamowicz posted:

Hell yeah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maF9KvqnVJs
Guys got 60 € fines per head for that.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

ynotony posted:

And this is why I wouldn't

(didn't actually click the video because I am squeamish.)
Except that isn't Smart. It looks to be Volkswagen CrossFox, a mini SUV manufactured in Brazil and based on Lupo. Smart would have survived much better. Smart actually has remarkably tough shell, probably the toughest one outside of super cars. I would think Smart is actually one of the safest cars against a truck.

Oh, and there's no video, just pictures of the aftermath including a man in two parts.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

SUV quarterpipe

I bet that Lada Niva could show Tony Hawk some tricks. Feels like a commercial, but I just can't think what it would be advertizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

ROFLBOT posted:

These kinds of pissing contests are just stupid

These cars are either street legal only with regular tyres, in which case they wont do anything like 7s, or its not street legal with drag radials - cant be both
And then there's the question of street legal in what country. I'm sure there are some 3rd world countries where top fuel dragster could be street legal. On the other end is Finland where you could only increase the engine power by 20% or so, IIRC. If you want to turbocharge a V8 you have to model the intake after a straw for the dyno inspection.