Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Thought this would make a good addition, pretty much the title of the forum, what did you just finish and how did you like it?

For myself, I just finished Alice in Wonderland and I liked it a lot more than I was expecting. It's a very fun and short read.

Just thought of this, if you'd like feel free to add what you plan on reading next, for myself it is The Trial.

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 16, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

The New Black posted:

Just before that it was Huxley's Brave New World. Distopian futures are awesome.

I must be insane for saying this, but am I the only one that found Brave New World alright? Maybe the middle just ruined it for me. What happens in the middle, no need for spoiler warnings, is nothing. Nothing at all.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Jimbola posted:

Just finished All Quiet On The Western Front and before that In Cold Blood.

Both are part of my 'classics I can't believe I haven't read' tour - I reccommend them highly.

I just read both of these recently. I enjoyed both of them immensely, and I think they are really accessible books in general, In Cold Blood more so though.

On the Brave New World note, my opinion of it isn't low, I just didn't find it as enjoyable as others. I really enjoyed the beginning so I might have had too high of expectations when I got to the reservation section.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I just finished Through the Looking Glass which is of course the sequel to Alice in Wonderland. I enjoyed Alice more but this was certainly entertaining.

Also, shouldn't this thread be stickied or something, so we don't have people saying, "I just finsihed this! What do you think of it?" Or maybe I just have an alterior motive. :iiam:

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Painkiller posted:

I just finished Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle like 20 minutes ago. I'm still digesting the ending, Vonnegut's general cynicism over humanity is always a bit hard to swallow I find. The last few books I've read are Slaughterhouse Five, 1984, this and I'm going to read All Quiet on the Western Front next, I doubt I'm going be able to get past this month without becoming deeply depressed. :emo:

Did you just recently stumble upon the world of literature? Those are all great reads but it seems like someone who just really began reading for pleasure. Perhaps I'm just thinking of myself?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

a-dogg posted:

I came in here to post that. Although for me it wasn't my first time or anything. I just love the book so much that I've read it a few times. I don't care if people think it's too childish a book, Carroll is brilliantly clever and I seem to catch new things each time. Did you get into Through the Looking Glass yet? It's worth it for the deciphering of the Jabberwocky poem alone.

As for other books I've finished, well, it's taking me a while to get through Swann's Way, what with school and all, but I hope to finish at least a good portion of it by the start of next semester.

I finished it right after, they came in the same book. I preferred Alice over Looking Glass, though they're both great books. And I did decipher the Jabberwocky poem, it was worth it.

I'm working on The Life and Extraordinary Adventures of Private Ivan Chonkin, which has been mentioned above, and loving it so far.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I just finished The Life and Extraordinary Adventures of Private Ivan Chonkin and thoroughly loved it. It was very funny, deserving its title of Russia's Catch-22. It's a fun, lighthearted affair that manages to make you feel optimistic about the Soviet Union during World War II. That's a tough feat to accomplish. I only wish I could read Russian now.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Finished The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne for class. I probably enjoyed it the most out of anybody in my class, but that's not saying very much. It was an okay 200 page character study...

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Finished Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond recently. Not sure why it took me so long but I finally did get around to it. He offers some very convincing arguments of why Europe/Asia are so dominant in the world. Very readable and is of great interest to anyone remotely interested in history or a new perspective.

The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, An American Slave. Didn't think much of it but at the very least it was short. Just didn't have very much to it and was pretty redundant. If you're very interested in slaves or Douglasses then I'd say go for it.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Ewar Woowar posted:

I've just finished Martin Cruz Smith's Red Square which was very good. For those that haven't read it it's basically a crime/thriller set during the social and economic breakdown of the USSR. It flicks between a revitalised post-war Munich and a Moscow in political limbo. Reminds me of Ian Rankin's Rebus series except with much better writing and a much more interesting setting.

About to start The Master and Margarita.

I expect to see your next post as "I just finished Master..." I mean, two days, what's taking so long?

Anyway, I just finished My Tank is Fight! by Zack Parsons. I heard about it from some website so I decided to pick it up. His own term, "Pulp history" pretty much sums up the whole book and it was a fun (even interesting) read. Also helps if you have any interest in WWII.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

pipebomb posted:

You DO know who Zack is, right?

I just finished 'Heart Shaped Box' but Joe Hill. Not too bad...a little queasy about the last quarter, but a solid horror story.
Tomorrow I'm starting 'the Tipping Point', by Malclom Gladwell. I really enjoyed 'Blink', and I'm in the mood for something to get me inspired.

Zack? Oh yeah, he's the author.

I recently completed The Cold War: A New History by John Lewis Gaddis. A wonderful, spectacular history that's only 250 pages! Anybody can and should read it. I'm afraid to start on the longer works of his though...

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I just finished The Third Chimpanzee by Jared Diamond. The nice thing about this book is that it covers each of his books: Why is Sex Fun?, Guns, Germs, and Steel, and Collapse. So if you're looking to get the drift of Diamond's thoughts of things this book would be easier than reading those other three. Like all of Diamond's books they are enjoyable reads, well researched, and very persuasive. Great book.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I just finished Collapse by Jared Diamond. Like any of his books, it was amazingly well-written, very convincing, and relevant to today. Whenever he quotes other authors I'm always thankful it is not 500 pages of that, instead Diamond manages to make the book fun and actually a page-turner (for me at least). I always wish to find a major flaw in one of his arguments but even come up short in minor flaws. He's just too good! And its enviromental focus really doesn't need to be explained as to why it's relevant. If it does go read this book!

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Just finished The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by whatever that guy's name is. I enjoyed it much more than The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and it seemed as if I was the only that didn't hate the ending. Hemmingway said it was cheating as does everybody I know but I guess I could look past it. Or something.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Just finished Candide by Voltaire (it's been a productive day). I have no idea why I had put it off for so long; it is immensely enjoyable and very candid. And how can you say no to a classic that is only 100 pages long? Truly a win-win story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
The 1000th post in my own topic! My family is so proud. I finished two things recently: The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson and Our Town by Thonrton Wilder.

The Years of Rice and Salt I found pretty enjoyable, although it would have scored higher in my book if the ending would have been altered or a competent editor had been in charge. Still, I thought it was less "pulpy" than other alternate-history books and would come with a recommendation.

Now Our Town would come with an even larger one. A really enjoyable, thought-provoking, and anything but simple play. Plus it's only like 40 pages of dialogue. Easily finished in one sitting. Plus Thonrton Wilder sounds like a cool guy.

Edit: And apparently I posted this at midnight exactly. It just gets eerier...