Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Just finished Portnoy's Complaint. Thankfully, my time at SA significantly increased my tolerance for reading about jerking off in strange places.

Also recently read Barth's End of the Road which was hella fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

perceptual_set posted:

Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk

It was kind of like a modern Canterbury Tales, with a group of individuals going on a writer's retreat for three months to complete their masterpiece. With the prospects of their masterpieces being completed look more and more dim, they start inventing a story to tell the press when they are eventually "rescued". In order to make the story "better" things get more and more disturbing throughout the story. This is occasionally interrupted by short stories told by the individuals of the retreat and each story was pretty entertaining.

This book should have been a lot shorter. There's something like 24 short stories packed into this while the events are trying to piece together their own story. Chuck could have cut out half the characters and cut the book in half. Some of those short stories would have made awesome novels by themselves and I really wished a few of them went on longer.
A very kind review.
I like me some Palahniuk but Haunted goes right behind Atlas Shrugged for Worst Books I've Ever Read. Pure unadulterated shock fiction. If he'd just written the 24 short stories by 24 characters in 24 different voices, then I would have been impressed. Instead it was Chuck on Chuck action.

Also, I was under the impression that the short stories were interrupted for the flimsy writers' colony arc, not the other way around.