Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myotis
Aug 23, 2006

We have guided missiles and misguided men.
Wild Swans by Jung Chang. This book starts off quite slow, and is basically the entire life story of three generations of women in China from the Japanese occupation until after the cultural revolution. (true story)

Parts of it are depressing as gently caress and reveals the darkest side of human nature, which is far, far grimmer than you ever thought possible. While on the other hand, some of the stories she tells really make you sit back in amazement at the good we are capable of in the worst of situations.

Even though the writing isn't the best and it is, in effect, just a chronological account, this has to be the biggest eye opener I've ever picked up. The change her father goes through during Wild Swans is particularly revealing, and not something I think I will ever forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU