Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I just finished Salvatore's Road of the Patriarch. He's a good fantasy author, but the ending feels horribly tacked on and excessive. I get this feeling he's finally reached the point in his writing career where he finishes off a book, looks back at it, and says, "I should really put a socially relevant message into my novel." That's not a bad thing, but he needs to weave it into the actual story more.

Don Quixote is probably next on my list. I got really near to the end five or six months ago and just stopped for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I just finished reading Don Quixote. The ending was really quite sad, but Cervantes still managed to keep a lighthearted nature to the whole affair. A really great book.

I'm going to start on The Death and Life of Great American Cities by Jane Jacobs, now.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I finished A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr. just the other day. Easily one of the best sci-fi books I've read. Surprisingly for such a book, the major focus doesn't end up being on the circumstances behind the book (nuclear war and the preservation of knowledge afterward) but on the Catholic Church and its role in the new world. It deviates wildly from the typical sci-fi setup by never questioning the presence of God - his existence is always assumed. The book, then, isn't so much a meditation on the nature of God, but on the nature of man's relationship to God and man's relationship to the Earth. I'd highly recommend it to anyone, regardless of whether you're a big sci-fi buff or not.