Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Hello. Recently I have been ramping up my physical book reading and reconnecting with the pastime of it.

Long Way Home, Ryan van Duzer. A man's travelogue bicycling from Honduras to Colorado after his time in the Peace Corps concludes.
Duly Noted, Jorge Arango. An instructional book on how to set up and maintain a knowledge garden with a focus on digital tools and workflows.
Geography of Thought, Richard E. Nesbitt. An examination on the cultural and psychological differences between Western and Eastern schools of thought, published in 2003. Originally recommended by a coworker.

Currently I've picked up and started reading a bunch of books at the same time, but I'm chewing on them slowly.

Confessions, St. Augustine (2018 translation). Library checkout but I will probably end up buying a copy since it's not something to power through in a couple of weeks.
Heroine with 1001 Faces, Maria Tatar. Really enjoying this one. Got it from a blind book buy.
Upstream, Mary Oliver. I enjoy her poetry, but the essays are a good one to read and think on.
Essential Rumi (2004 translation). I picked this up while traveling a couple of years ago.
The Body Keeps the Score, Bessel van der Kolk MD (Audible version). Follows (for me) after Myth of Normal by Gabor Maté MD, which I finished late last year.

e: Pleasure Activism, adrienne maree brown et al. A collection of essays on pleasure. A friend gifted me a small collection of books as they moved out of the country, this being one of them.

aldantefax fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

fridge corn posted:

Also I just finished Earthlings by Sayaka Murata. It's light and breezy to read tho goes much harder than Convenience Store Woman. Not sure what to call these types of novels. Its like a light snack, or palete cleanser between heavier courses at a meal. Enjoyable, but not too much to chew on for better or for worse

I see what you did there.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

fridge corn posted:

I thought no one would notice hehe

The book was recommended to me because it gave the other person nightmares, so they thought I would like it? They were right, but the audiobook was a tough listen because the narrator really sells the first half. I thought it was a solid read. Less you know the better but not for the squeamish.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I finished The Long Way to A Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers. Next up is The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, which I have promptly sunk 212 pages of reading into since yesterday and after dinner this evening. I'm told by the person who recommended me both books to start on the sequel to Long Way after this one as a palate cleanser, and not to read the sequel to that in public unless I wanted to also cry in public.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I finished The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern today. I’m not sure what book in my fiction stream is actually up next but I have plenty of nonfiction and philosophy to read.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
One Rainy Season in Yunnan: the Path Past Pomasha, by Brian Herman. Short read, had paused it for some years but still remember where I was in the fiction to go finish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I finished Bonk by Mary Roach, and it's a fun book.