Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Jade City by Fonda Lee. I loved it so much I went out and got both sequels. It's like an alternate history setting with k-drama family politics mixed with super powers. One of the best works of recent fiction I've read in what feels like a really long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah the short stories are much better than the novellas. I can't remember ever having the urge to reread any of them.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I Love Russia by Elena Kostyuchenko

I love books that present things the way this did, with a series of observations and no attempt to force the reader to conclusions. Kostyuchekno's reporting is stark, awful, macabre, and extremely relatable. What you read makes you think not just about Russia but about your own country as well, or at least it did for me. It's a pretty easy read and the main drawback I think is there isn't more of it, and there isn't more of a focus towards the last few years before she had to leave, but at a certain point it just becomes an autobiography which was clearly not the goal here. I definitely recommend it.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Selachian posted:

Spotted King of the Cracksmen by Dennis

This sounds like the worst book ever written goddamn.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Fifth Sun: A New History of the Aztecs by Camilla Townsend.

As someone who loves history but knows almost nothing about this particular part of it, I found this to be an excellent introduction. I think it did a great job of giving a broad idea of the cultural history of the area and some of the key players and dynamics involved in early European contact, and that it toed the line excellently between not sugarcoating anything while also avoiding the temptation to derail into editorializing about it. The only downside was learning that almost all the primary sources were in languages I don't know! I wish more people wrote accessibly about this period of history. Fascinating stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Jade War by Fonda Lee.

I liked it! It's got that awkward book two of the trilogy vibe where you know the big stuff isn't going to resolve but you don't have the freshness of the first book so there's a lot of complications and setup moreso than satisfying conclusions or cool introductions. It's still a very strong series thus far and I can't wait to finish the third book and hopefully see all this great world building and character development pay off!