Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
The Passenger, by Cormac McCarthy

This is an interesting one, like with most of what I read these days I go in blind, though in this case I liked the author so I knew to expect the interesting and somewhat tiring writing style along with a heaping dose of malaise. What I got was a bunch of philosophy written as a series of long character interactions wrapped around an extremely threadbare plot.

I personally didn't find any particular revelations in there but the themes and the characters were interesting enough to keep me reading and it has definitely left me in a contemplative mood about the nature of our own autonomy which, according to my own amateur interpretation, was the central theme so in other words - I liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

escape artist posted:

Stella Maris I enjoyed more than The Passenger, so curious to hear your thoughts on that once you read it. It's a lot shorter and helps illuminate a lot of what was going on in The Passenger.

I read this last night!

I liked it as well, I think I preferred it to the passenger because it got to the point more efficiently and Alicia is a compelling character as opposed to Bobby who is largely a blank slate - which, in fairness, I think is the point but its still not as interesting.

I thought a while on it and I think, when taken together, the two books are ultimately an analogy (I don't think that's the right word) for the Observer Effect in physics, where the passenger is giving you the perspective of the observed system (Bobby) while Stella Maris is that of the observer (Alicia).

To me the pair of books ultimately asks two questions. If you can change the state of something by observing it, then how much free will does that thing actually have, and secondly, if said thing were to cease to exist then what would be the matching effect on the observer?

Makes ya think!

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

The Final Empire and The Well Of Ascension both by Brandon Sanderson. Both really good, I think the second one has better characterization but the first has a more engaging story. Really looking forward to Hero Of Ages!

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy

Loved it. A fun, action packed adventure in the wild west. Somebody unfreeze the duke so he can do a film adaption.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

The Silo series; Wool, shift and dust

An interesting, fallout-esque trilogy that spends a lot of time on the politics of life in a giant underground community. Author has a very thinly veiled fetish for mechanical engineering and a not veiled at all hatred for IT people which is kinda funny.

How To Sell A Haunted House - Grady Hendrix

This was my second Hendrix book, having read my best friends exorcism previously.

I enjoyed this one much more, it feels somehow less mean but also more scary and I vibed with the themes of family dysfunction and repression.

In the horror thread someone described her writing as "goosebumps for adults" and I'd still agree with that as well!