Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Just finished Circe: I love Greek mythology, and this takes that and puts a new perspective and twist on it, while still remaining faithful to Homers Illiad, and the Odyssey. Seeing this fantasy setting from the perspective of a lesser god was really interesting and cool, and its just such a great story to read with very good character depth and growth.

Cool, just found this one in a stack of books that ended up at my parents' house, will look forward to that.

I read Call for the Dead by John Le Carré. Was looking to get into his books and this is all they had at the bookstore. A quaint, slow mystery. (Extra quaint because of the context of its time, relying on evidence of phone operators etc.). Not really good, I think; too little happens, too much of the plot is in the past, but inoffensive and enjoyable. A fun twist, though the actual ending was disappointing. I'm sure his later books live up to the reputation.

Aeble fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Circe by Madeline Miller.

An enjoyable read, weaving the mythological stories into Circe's own perspective narrative. Pleasant style (though some of the descriptions became a bit too flowery and nonsensical, but hey, gods are weird). Interesting to see the feminist perspectives, too.

silvergoose posted:

The Left Hand of Darkness
Been on my list for forever, because, well. I think this must have been a recent edition (borrowed ebook) because it had a foreword and a post...word? that talked about gender in very modern terms. Loved it, bittersweet ending, I think in the end it sits a little below The Dispossessed for me.

I really wonder what it is that I missed about Left Hand of Darkness. I found it fine, but nothing really remarkable. Neither the style nor content made me move towards starting on the Earthsea anthology that I bought alongside it. Maybe the hype just made me expect too much.

Aeble fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 14, 2024