Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
It's the start of the Summer so I've gotten into reading again and decided I'd also try to participate in society more so here I am.

My latest reads were a mix of science fiction and Revolutionary France.

A New World Begins was a condensed history of the French Revolution. A good read if you already know many of the details and participants, but not something I would recommend to a newbie on the topic.

As for science fiction I've been reading Solaris, Roadside Picnic, and Hard to be a God. I wish I had read Solaris earlier because I didn't realize how much that book had impacted science fiction culture. The Strugatsky bros books were also pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

jesus WEP posted:

just remember, it’s never too early to stop reading dune sequels

There. Are. SIX Dune books!

Just finished Between Two Fires. It was enjoyable, interesting take on horror in the late medieval period.

I think for my next book I'll read either history, The New Roman Empire: a History of Byzantium, or do something I've been meaning to do and start Michael Moorcock's Elric series. Probably Elric because I'm short on free time these days and I can knock those out over a weekend.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Elric of Melnibone: the Elric Saga part 1, Stormbringer: the Elric Saga part 2 both by Michael Moorcock, and The Black Company by Glen Cook.

The Elric sagas were omnibuses combining numerous different Elric books from Elric of Melnibone to Stormbringer. I wish I had read these earlier in my life because, wow, it turns out a lot of the media and games I've been consuming over the last two decades have been basically ripping directly from these stories. Elric is a swords and sorcery anti-hero who is basically the opposite of Conan the Barbarian in just about every way and he gets up to all kinds of swords and sorcery shenanigans while bemoaning his doomed DOOOOOMED fate and the miseries that the world has heaped upon him. Some of these stories were mediocre, some were excellent, and some were just weird (Sailor on the Seas of Fate, I'm looking at you). Overall I enjoyed the stories, but sometimes getting through a story was like swimming in the Heavy Seas. Moorcock's resolutions weren't all that great either, major plot events were wrapped up too hastily and were underwhelming in their resolution. Specifically, Yrrkoon and Arioch. You can really tell that Moorcock wrote a lot of these for magazines and that he had bills to pay and deadlines to make. There is - somehow - an even larger collection of Elric stories in a third omnibus that I have not yet read, but I have no idea how this is going to pickup where the second collection left off given that the ending seemed pretty definitive and was actually better than I was expecting.

The Black Company was a pretty good book. It's basically the gritty fantasy war story narrative that GoT tried to be towards the end, but much better. I guess I would describe it as "what if the Vietnam war was fought by wizards?". I'm pretty sure I accidentally recreated this story in a game of Exalted that I ran about ten to twelve years ago, including one of the characters being a doctor-archer. The story is very big on the idea that winning battles does not mean winning a war and both of the 2-ish sides in the book are as beset by their members' own agendas as they are by enemy action. The Black Company is the first book in the volume that I bought, The Chronicles of the Black Company, and I think I will read the next two books in that volume before I go onto the third Elric omnibus.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 30, 2024

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Selachian posted:

Looking it up on Amazon, the third book appears to be the three Elric books Moorcock wrote in the early 2000s -- The Dreamthief's Daughter, The White Wolf's Son, and The Skrayling Tree. They're very different in content and style to the original Elric series, not the least because Moorcock was 35 years older. As a longtime Moorcock fan, I'd be interested to see how they read to someone coming to them fresh off the original series.

I might recommend you read The War Hound and the World's Pain first to learn a bit about the von Bek family, who are heavily involved in Moorcock's post-80s work -- and it's one of his better stand-alone books anyway.

Thanks, I'll try to pick that up first. I'm probably not going to get around to this for a couple weeks because I'm going to get slammed by work this week and I'm going to finish the other two books in the Chronicles of the Black Company, but I will try to find some space for it. I read about ten pages of the final saga and my first thoughts were that this was a bit of a departure from the last saga. I was just hoping for more normal - whatever that means - Elric stories, but I guess I'll give this a try after I've had a chance to refresh my palate.

edit: okay so I looked up The War Hound and the World's Pain and this is kind of funny. The book I read before the three I talked about in my post before this one was Between Two Fires and I put a bunch of similar books in my Amazon reading list, but I somehow managed to miss your recommendation despite trying to find books that are exactly what it is. So, double thank you for your reply to my post.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 31, 2024