Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Will probably read the second half in future, though word on this forum has been unkind to the Endymion series afterwards.
Basically, Dune rules apply for Hyperion sequels - when you stop enjoying it, just stop reading, it's not going to get any better.
Also Simmons is a shithead and doesn't deserve any support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Snuff Melange posted:

I just finished Hyperion and it was incredible, super cool and I loved the characters and story a ton by the end.
A fair warning there: the sequels will retroactively ruin the experience by providing the lamest possible answers to anything left unexplained.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, my experience with these books was that they kept getting stupider as they went on. I put it down about halfway through The Dark Forest and haven't felt the slightest urge to go back to it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Dirac Fourier posted:

I finished Memories of Ice. I want to check out the Malazan thread, but I'm afraid of spoilers. It's going to take a long time before I can open that thread.
It's fine, people are usually pretty careful about spoilering. Plus we love hearing first impressions.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's Lovecraft for you. Great monster ideas, horrible (and racist) execution.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

The Court of the Air by Stephen Hunt is a weird one. It's a steampunk fantasy world set in an ersatz version of Earth and we-swear-it's-not-Britain, centering on two young orphans on the run from... something, who are special for... some reason. Hunt goes a mile a minute, telling the story like you already know what's going on. By context I was able to figure out what some of the slang and proper nouns meant, but I've rarely met a book so overwhelmingly full of weird poo poo and so uninterested in explaining what anything is or what's going on, to the point that I bluntly stopped caring about the characters because I lost track of what was going on, who had what agendas, and what the stakes were beyond that the protagonists dying was probably bad. I feel like it's what you'd get if Guillermo del Toro sat down to write a book, bearing in mind that the guy's a master of visual storytelling but not so good at dialogue or interested in explaining anything with words.
The sequels get more interesting plots but that element never really disappears.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bilirubin posted:

Hate to be the one to tell you but that was the high point of the trilogy
Seriously. Any ideas and theories you've formed based on the limited information are guaranteed to be better than the actual answers you'll be given.

Also, obligatory "don't support Simmons."

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

jesus WEP posted:

I just finished Slow Horses by Mick Herron and I liked the story and whatnot, but there was something about the author's style of writing that picked away at my enjoyment. Like he would build suspense in a kinda artificial way by just describing something poorly
Yeah, I read it after watching the TV series and was pretty disappointed. The rare case where I think the visual adaptation makes it better.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Turbinosamente posted:

It could be worse, I could be in here talking up some Holmes fanfic. I don't think I've read a single one of those that was good and most are forgettable, although I don't think I will forget the one that ended with a transforming mech train because that was hilariously stupid even for a steampunked Victorian setting. And yet I am still foolishly drawn to post Doyle Holmes junk like a moth to a flame even though I know it will be garbage.
The Stuff of Nightmares by James Lovegrove. Boy did I not know what I was signing up for when picking that one. He also wrote three Lovecraftian Holmes novels that somehow manage to be even stupider; the mecha train made me laugh, those felt like straight-up insulting the reader's intelligence.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

escape artist posted:

I tried to start it as my first Eco and while I was impressed by the scope of it, I was also not up to the challenge. So it's been sitting on my book shelf next to House of Leaves, another book where I did the same thing. Read a fraction of it and never got the courage to work up to it.
So here's the thing: if you read it start-to-end, it lets up and becomes much easier to grab about halfway through. When they start plotting the Plan, you can just go along with the funny intellectual self-destructive ride and watch the history fold.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

White Coke posted:

What do people think about Island of the Day Before, The Mysterious Flame of Queen Lorna, and Numero Zero? I don't see those come up nearly as much as the other novels.
Just personal observations from a genre-reading pleb:

Numero Zero has a really weak plot and while the pseudo-journalistic setting is interesting, it doesn't spend anywhere near as much on it as it could. The whole book feels rushed.

The Island of the Day Before is kind of the opposite, it is very long, it really drags especially in the early shipwrecked sections but once it gets going it goes hard, might have my favorite Eco finale but getting there is a journey and a half.

Mysterious Flame of Queen Loanna is probably his weirdest book, most of it is a personal retelling of half a century of Italian culture which might tickle your interest a bit but the actual story in there is almost an afterthought. I think it's my least favorite of his novels although probably not the actually worst (fairly sure Numero Zero takes that cake.)

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Mar 7, 2024

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

Having just finished Empire of the Ants by Bernard Weber I feel like I'm going to return to never reading any French book more recent than the Count of Monte Cristo. It's meandering, weird, seems to have no point, has nothing approaching a traditional story structure, the ants are written more like real people than the humans are and the author is some sort of hardcore racist who considers understanding foreigners like Tibetans, Hindus or the Japanese to be as complex and impossible as understanding ants.
Werber is weird. I vaguely recall enjoying the first Ants book but everything else from him just gets increasingly weirder and usually not in a good way.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Good-Natured Filth posted:

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho: A fable about a boy trying to find his destiny. The author's philosophy and religion were front and center the entire time, and the writing was simplistic. The message of the book is essentially "don't be afraid to reach for your dreams," but also "if you don't do this, you're wasting your life." Additionally, "destinies are for men only." I didn't care for it.
Don't forget "people who are close to you are only weighing you down". Coelho is garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Carmack is an Ayn Rand fan so I'd argue the psycho assessment is correct at least to an extent.