Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
It's been years since I read Moby Dick, and it took me years (on and off, between other books) to get through it. Most of it passed through my head without making much of an impression, but there are still parts that stick with me (in particular, Ahab's explanation to Starbuck of why he hates the whale).

I just polished off The Flying None by Cody Goodfellow. It's the first book by the author I didn't really enjoy. The whole thing felt like a much weaker version of other stories by the same author - The Snake Handler, with elements of All Monster Action stirred in at the end. It felt like a YA take on the same subject matter, but as far as I can tell it was released under the same imprint as all his other stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
American Gods is pretty good. Definitely my favorite Neil Gaiman.

If you liked it I recommend Kraken by China Memeville and Last Call by Tim Powers.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I liked Urth but everyone I know hated it, or outright refused to read it after completing the main series.

I wasn't a huge fan of Fifth Head. Out of all the tales only the first one really grabbed me. The mystery of the indigenes is cool.

Peace rules. The frame narrative is alright but I love all the creepy little vignettes.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Piranesi rules and I recommend it.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

malnourish posted:

I wish the world had been further explored and the mystery more developed.
This was exactly why I loved Piranesi. It built a very compact yet evocative setting without larding things down through needless exposition. When it ran out of things for the reader to discover, it ended gracefully rather than dragging things out. Better to be left wanting more than infodumped to death.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

FPyat posted:

Complete 50/50 on whether you've read House of Leaves or not.
Nope. No description I've ever heard of it has sounded appealing.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Last book I DNFed was The Night Land. Cool setting but actually reading it was an absolute slog. It sat in my to-be-read pile for months at maybe 20% completion until I accepted defeat and tossed it in a little free library.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Wrapped The Passenger. It's my least favorite McCarthy so far. It's like if No Country For Old Men was only the parts where the Sheriff ruminates on how his life didn't go the way he wanted, without the action sequences. The Thalidomide Kid was my favorite character.

I'm still going to read Stella Maris for completionism. Sometimes the last novel an author writes will surprise you at the end, even if you didn't enjoy the rest. Interlibrary Loan was like that. A real slog until the very last page, which was an incredible ending to Wolfe's literary career.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Just finished Lone Ranger And Tonto Fistfight In Heaven after pulling it out of a little free library. I had to read it back in high school and my guess is whoever deposited it in the box did the same. Back then I hated short story collections, but now I like them better than novels. I think most authors, even great ones, do not have enough interesting ideas to fill hundreds and hundreds of pages on the same topic.

Either way, I remember liking it the first time I read it. It was pretty good the second time around. The fantastical or magical realist elements strongly reminded me of the POV character from One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - the way his descriptions of reality are suddenly interrupted by vivid and disturbing visions that swallow everything around him.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Shammypants posted:

Finished Piranesi and the first half is so bad, and the last half so good that I really do think the entire concept could have been a much better book by another author. Like, wtf, if this were a novella that the first half was condensed into a single chapter or two it would be exceptional.
Nah, the first half is the best part.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

tuyop posted:

I feel like the first half is to endear us to Piranesi. That way the stakes are high for the weird resolution at the end.
I wonder if some people are annoyed by his character voice. I thought it was charming, but if I didn't think that I'd probably find it insipid.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Piranesi posted:

Today the man asked me what life was like in the House. I told him it was not easy being Piranesi
I'll admit this part was hard to swallow.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Good-Natured Filth posted:

A Dark Lure by Loreth Anne White: a mediocre thriller that follows Olivia (who is the sole survivor of a serial killer) trying to erase her past and leave it behind. Everyone thinks that the killer was caught and is dead except for one cop who won't let it go. This lone cop is right, though, and the killer resurfaces to finish the job (because the cop told him where Olivia was in order to lure him out of hiding). We're introduced to a prodigal son who falls in love with the traumatized Olivia and is a perfect journalist who uncovers her past quickly. They all end up on the same Canadian dude ranch during an impending snow storm and eventually brutally murder the serial killer. Come for the ho-hum characters but stay for the many detailed descriptions of fly fishing.
If you'd like another author's take on the premise you should try Swift To Chase by Laird Barron, a short story collection about a woman who survives a serial killer in Alaska. I liked the characters but there isn't any fly fishing.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Starfish is my favorite Watts, absolutely no question. The Rifters sequels are pretty bad, I personally enjoyed them but they were hard to take seriously.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
The Hyperion sequels suck, don't read them.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

wedgie deliverer posted:

I just finished The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. Haven't read a good novel in a long time, and I definitely had a few tears at the ending which I thought was beautiful.
Adventures was great. Gentlemen of the Road is always the Chabon I recommend because it's short and punchy. Yiddish Policemen's Union is my favorite alt-history ever but the appeal isn't as broad.

malnourish posted:

Echopraxia was fine, but not nearly as good as its predecessor. I suppose I'm much more interested in the contents of Blindsight. I thought the writing was stronger in the first one, too.
Watts also wrote a couple short interquels set in the same world. The best one (better than Echopraxia IMO) is ZeroS

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Just wrapped Stella Maris. It was an absolute slog, as was its companion The Passenger.

I would not recommend either to anyone except diehard McCarthy completionists.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
If anything the prose gets better in the sequels. The characters find ways to explain what's happening without delivering huge soliloquies clumsily stuffed with exposition.

Except for book four. In book four they do the opposite of that.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Diamonds Are Forever - Ian Fleming. Great book; better than the movie (cliche statement, but it's true). What's interesting is how many elements of the book the 1971 movie retained and how much it dumped. Many of the characters Bond fans will recognize are here: Tiffany Case, Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd, Shady Tree. Parts of the book's plot are also here, as there is a relatively short portion that takes place in Vegas (and the Nevada desert) and the book involves a diamond smuggling ring. But the rest of it is completely unique and involves fixing horse races and two-bit gangsters with accurate recreations of "Wild West" towns. The book even brings Felix Leiter into the mix (iirc, he's not in the movie at all).

Although I'm not sure that he's one of the great writers of the 20th century, I like Fleming's prose; he has a very descriptive writing style that I like. Even though I've seen the movie adaptation several times, the book had me gripped from beginning to end. A very enjoyable read.
I have only read The Man With the Golden Gun, but I definitely preferred it to the film adaptation. I understand why the director felt the need to jazz up a story about real estate speculation in the Caribbean, but the movie really lost the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Long Sun did not have the same staying power as New Sun but was more enjoyable to actually read. Like if Gene Wolfe wrote Discworld.