Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i finished stoner recently too and poo poo popped. williams knows how to write em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

a bit ago i finished V by Thomas Pynchon, his first novel. it's told over the course of dozens of shifting POVs--some reoccurring and others just once. it's somewhat of a spy thriller, but that only describes some aspects of the work, itself full of different unique imagery like a woman having plastic surgery operated by her manipulative lover, or a radiologist describing his and others' slow descent into madness and leprosy in a villa surrounded by the lower classes. it's just that spy work also sometimes happens, and its effects ripple in instances of which there is none and vice versa. i found it fascinating as an introduction to Pynchon and would freely recommend it to a reader who won't mind getting lost in the passages. all the better if that feeling itself can be enjoyed

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

McSpankWich posted:

I just finished The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and it was cool and good. I remember reading it in like 4th grade or something but only remember bits and pieces and certainly didn't appreciate it for what it was then. I'm probably going to read Huck Finn next because I've never read it and it seems like a good place to go.

just finished Tom Sawyer as well, id only read Huckleberry before but yea i certainly back then didn't appreciate what twain is able to write. he's got some insane wit to him. also laughed when he as the narrator suddenly got heated about death penalty protestors towards yhe end hahahaha

it struck a very personal chord for me having the adventures on the island described. i never smoked or had to look for my pocket knife as a boy but me and the gang would regularly trudge up a long winding creek cuz eventually it resulted in this big tree topped island in the middle that was our claim and kingdom. good book

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

The Corrections by Jon Franz. this poo poo was seriously good, probably my first exposure to what 21st century lit is and what it can be. the latter because of course i don't find the novel faultless. the book is very long and that's not a complaint, but the ending almost reads like franzen was anxious to type too much? he as an author wasn't a national book award winner yet so yknow, i wonder if he second guessed more meat like more denise (seriously he needed to go just a little further with her by the end). denise and others are all excellent fascinating characters, their POVs in third person uniquely colored and tweaked to their level of mental illness. i hate to pile up praise on franzen but the prose is sharp as hell without being overly obnoxious (well maybe besides a couple parts). sharp enough the plot could have been pretty much nothing and i'd still have enjoyed reading. he's no John Williams or anything but man those 500 some pages felt like a wonderful journey.

it's my understanding this guy went insane and began thinking himself the voice of a generation or something. could be baseless but my next read of franzen's, whenever that may be, will definitely be what he wrote before