Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

I downed Lois McMaster Bujold's The Sharing Knife, her latest work. While I pretty much adore her earlier works, I'm starting to get a bit worried. I realize she likes writing fantasty-romance, but the "old war-scarred veteran/worldly but innocent young girl" pairing is starting to get on my nerves. First Cazaril, now Dag. She also seems somewhat handicapped by the constraints of a fantasy universe, as if she really wants to paint a more bright picture but can't because of the mechanics she's established for herself.

Who knows, maybe I'm just projecting. I still found it decent enough to devour in one night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

On a cross-country flight to and from Boston I ended up chewing through the Night Angel Trilogy by Weeks. It's your standard popcorn-munching fantasy fare, but it's reasonably well-crafted, with engaging characters, suitably tuned challenges for the characters which aren't massively implausible, and reasonable levels of power creep on both sides as the trilogy goes on. The magic system is relatively prosaic compared to something like Mistborn, but it's still got a fair number of interesting and unexpected ways of using it and is mostly self-consistent (lead shoes, really?).

Worth a read if you enjoy that kind of thing.