Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mynie
Sep 16, 2002

by HELLTANK
David Halperin's No Future, Queer Theory and Death Drive

Even as literary theory goes, this one was hard to slog through. Which is a shame, because it's got a drat fine premise: the soceital focus upon The Child as a sacred object, the needs of which all forms of media, expression, and behavior should be concerned with, and the protection of that all censorship is in the name of, should be gotten rid of. Of course, this leads to a "death drive," a focus not on the future, but on the now. Filmic examples are looked at, detailing the controlling power of The Child.

The language is hyperbolic in the Edward Said, "Yeah, I guess I'm just a loving savage no matter what I do so I'm gonna embrace the title" sense. Children are told to go gently caress themselves, and a lot of readers are going to take issue with that. But if you're willing to give Halperin the constant benefit of the doubt, this is certainly worth a read.

bazooka_tooth posted:

Not enough to make a discussion thread about, but did you interpret the Airborne Chemical Event as a mid-life crisis?

Also, Professor of Hitler Studies, and the Nuns who worship JFK, were both hilarious, and in tune with the mid-life crisis theory.

It's the "Airborne Toxic Event." That's significant, because it spells "Ate." As in, to consume. Mindless, modern consumption that is slowly causing death, but also granting solace from the fear fear of death.

mynie fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 16, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU