Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I just finished an essay on Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. The guy's caught a lot of flak because of all the controversy surrounding his book (Racism in late 19th century colonial Britain? Why I never!), but there's no denying the fact that the guy can write.

The first time I opened the book, I happened to be listening to some Dead Prez, so whenever the protagonist started talking about niggers it got my teeth grinding. However, once you get past the (intended?) ignorance, you can really see that the author's true intentions were to take a very critical look at colonialism as it was at the time.

Right now, I'm not reading anything in particular, mainly due to the final exam crunch that I'm going through. However once that's done I plan on finding myself a copy of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms story and checking it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Last week I read Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas by John Scalzi. I finished it in one very lazy workday. It was a good page-turner right up until the codas, where things just got too meta to be enjoyable. I appreciate the weight that it adds to the book, but at the same time I really don't give a poo poo about reading blog entries.

Last week, I also bought Ready Player One by Ernest Cline and finished it today. I burned through it in about as much time as Redshirts. I found myself enjoying all the little references to the eighties more than I thought I would, but there were chunks of book that were just embarrassing. The romantic chatlogs and the Japanese characters in particular sent shivers down my back.

All in all I found both books pretty middling, but I'm happy to be reading again. Now that I've gotten the engine revving with those two pieces of coal, I'm hoping to move onto something a bit more substantial.