Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I'm a few pages from finishing David Weber's Off Armageddon Reef.

It's not stereotypical Weber, which is a bonus. Tor's editors did good work and his raw material was better. The story is nothing new - I probably first read something on relatively similar lines in Jannisaries, but it's actually very well executed compared to what I'd expected out of Weber. He does enough in developing the world and the machinations of politics without bogging it down to hell, which is a pleasant change from the monotonous droning of the internal politics in Manticore.

It's not going to break any records or gain a billion awards for being innovative, but it does prove the man can do more than Horatio Hornblower In Space, and do it pretty well.

Now if only he could take this quality and make the Honor series stop sucking :(

before that, I read Charles Stross' latest, Glasshouse. That man is like :psyduck: crossed with high tech. It's fun to read, but god does he mindfuck the reader with reckless abandon. If you want to read sci-fi that is not stereotypical sci-fi, pick up a copy of one of his books and give it a whirl. I'm a bigger fan of his future stuff like the Eschaton series or his standalones like Accelerando and Glasshouse instead of the rather weak Atrocity Archives.

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 22, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I just read Feist's latest Into a Dark Realm. I've been reading his books since Magician and at this point it's just automatic to see his new one, put a hold on it from the library, and read it. This one though, I'm not really sure it was exactly worth the wait. Sure it's only been a year since the last one (almost to the day) but frankly not much happens in this book. It's almost entirely setup, with the "end" being a ... sort of dramatic revelation that had the minor problem of only being hinted at for the last 50 pages of the book tops, so it didn't have the impact it would've had it been foreshadowed on say, page 5, such that I read it and said "okay, so?" and that really should not have been my reaction given what the reveal was.

It's a lot of setup for book 3, but in sum total there's not a lot THERE, if that makes any sense. Pretty short for Feist, too. I miss his books of fast-paced action and, I don't know, stuff happening. He's not anywhere near as good with this concept of dramatic build-up towards payoff in the next book.