Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Just finished Beware of Pity by Stefan Zweig. It's the story of a humble officer who befriends the crippled daughter of a wealthy aristocrat. Most of the actions is internal. This gets a bit tedious when the main character gets. Overall it kept my interest and there was usually something in the air to keep your attention through the dull bits. It dealt with the themes of honor, love, sexual attraction, duty, bravery, and social status quite nicely.

Next up: Lolita

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

azthth posted:

I just read Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire and I cannot understand why anyone likes this novel. I'm into alternate history, magical realism, and I've read other authors who are usually classified as the same style as Maguire but I just thought this book went nowhere and was utterly useless besides watching the author rush through and attempt to shock readers while still staying close to the lfrankbaum reality.

If it makes you feel any better, I had pretty much the same reaction after reading it. I didn't notice the shock, because I didn't really find any of it that shocking. It felt like there was supposed to be more about judging people by appearances and animal rights, but those themes never really coalesced into some sort of point.

I hadn't thought about this before, but it kind of shows what kind of particularly cruel and unjust system you could produce if you built it upon a childish sense of justice. "No silly, it doesn't matter if a donkey talks, he still has to pull a cart, that's what donkey's do." "Ugly people scare me and therefor are evil." If that was the point, I think it's pretty heavily buried in ephemeral distracting vaguely angsty poo poo.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Zero Karizma posted:

The thing I liked most of all was the early blood transfusions they do, where the only screening process is that you needed to be a "strong man" to give blood to ANYONE. Lucy gets 4 random blood donors. She was lucky to live as long as she did!

Maybe she was AB+?