Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana, Umberto Eco. A man tries to find his memories in the texts of his childhood after a stroke. It was a relatively quick and enjoyable read, and reminded me a bit of Baudolino in its inner-picaresque style. I enjoyed the many illustrations, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Just finished rereading Michael Lewis's Liar's Poker. It's about working at Saloman Brothers in the 80's, and how they dominated the bond trade. It's also pretty hilarious at parts. Some of it is a bit dry, but for the most part it's an easy, entertaining read if you're interested in true stories about Wall Street.

If nothing else, next time you go to the book store, read the Human Piranha section starting on about page 70. It's only a couple of pages, and it is seriously laugh-until-it-hurts funny.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I made the mistake of finishing House of Leaves this morning while listening to William Basinki's Disintegration Loops. Then I went to bed (I work nights).

Big mistake. I couldn't get my brain to settle down, got a whopping 2 1/2 hours sleep, and now I'm grinding out 12 hours at work.

But my god, was it ever worth it. What a book.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

A week or so ago I finished off The Making of the Atomic Bomb. The first 300 pages could've been a whole separate text on the beginning of physics, but it was pretty interesting. It ended with survivor accounts of the aftermath of the bombs in Japan, which is (as you can imagine) pretty horrific. Good book if you like the subject.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Just finished American Psycho, again. I read it once a year or so. Some of the graphic bits still make me uncomfortable despite reading it annually for quite a while. Great book.