Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Right now I'm reading A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle. I read it as a child and seeing the thread about childhood books made me want to pick it up again. I'll finish it in tonight or tomorrow.

I just finished The Wind Up Bird Chronicle by Murakami. I found it to be an alright book, at times it seemed to wander a bit for me. But I really did enjoy is writing very flowing and easy to read.

Before that was East of Eden by Steinbeck. One of the best books I've ever read just something very compelling about it. I did take my time reading it and digusting most of what he said. One day I'll read Grapes of Wrath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Zero Karizma posted:

I just finished Frankenstein, which was one of the most tragic and human stories I've ever read. I have no idea where anyone in Hollywood got their version, because it is categorically wrong. The Monster is super intelligent and super fast, not some lumbering idiot. Where did they even get that from? The design of him could still be used... but the Monster can RUN. He can leap up mountains and across the icy tundra.

Also, this book is 100% filmable... I just don't get why no one has ever done it. It wouldn't be a horror movie, per-say. More of a tragedy punctuated by jump scares. But still, it's perfectly doable. I want my accurate Frankenstein movie.

Kenneth Branagh's version of it is pretty close to the book. I really enjoyed it. And Frankstein is probably one of the best books ever. My literature course in college we read the book and watched Branagh's version and compared the two.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I just finished the Night Watch triology by Sergei Lukyanenko. They have made two movies from the series. Though both stories are from the same book. The first book was a bit hard to follow, I'm not sure if it was his writing style or the translation. The second two books were quite enjoyable.

I just started Confederacy of Dunces, I'm about 10 pages in and loving it already.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Totalitaryan posted:

I just finished the first book of the Gor Series by John Norman. So far it's been kinda meh. The BDSM/bondage is kinda tame. I have another dozen or so of his Gor books, do they pick up at all? Is it worth reading?

My father sent me all of the stuff I had at his house and slipped in his copies of the Gor Books. I remember reading one years ago, don't remember much about it.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Recycle Bin posted:

I'd recommend it for fans of sci-fi and Gaiman's American Gods (which is itself inspired by Zelazny). It's easy to get lost though, as it jumps from flowery prose to more down-to-earth colloquialism constantly, and there are a lot of metaphors for things that are never fully explained.

I found listening to the audiobook to help with that. I quite enjoyed it.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Just finished the most recent Recluse novel by L.E. Modesitt, Jr. They are my guilty pleasure for when I want a quick and dirty fantasy novel. Plus he's a really nice guy the few times I've talked to him through email. Next up is either Blood Meridian or a Philip K. Dick novel that was supposedly never published until now.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Mother Night by Vonnegut. I'm a big fan of Vonnegut and don't know exactly how I feel about it. I'll have to sit down and read it again and see how I feel about it.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I recently finished Last Watch by Sergey Lukyanenko, possibly the final book in the Others series, those being Night Watch, Day Watch, and Twilight Watch. Out of the four probably my favorite. I hope he writes more in the world because I really enjoy the setting. Though like any other Russian author each character has 20 names, which can make it difficult to determine who they are talking about at the time.

Next up is The Time Traveler's Wife. I've heard mixed reviews about it. I also picked up Only Revolutions in hardback for 6 bucks, which is a steal.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

colonelsandy posted:

Nightwatch by Sergei Lukyanenko. I actually enjoyed the movie more than the book.

Daywatch is a lot better as a book. The translation seems a lot stronger and everything flows better. The third and fourth books are excellent also.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

colonelsandy posted:

Cool I will check those out then. I didn't hate Nightwatch, I think if I had read the book before watching the film then I probably would have enjoyed it more, I felt the same way about Let the Right One In as well.

What I found difficult was the translation seemed stilted and just overall strange. The later books have a better flow to them.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Sethik posted:

Just finished Caine Black Knife, by Matthew Woodring Stover and I'd recommend it to anybody who likes SFF, and even some who don't. The entire story is so fast paced and action packed that I blew through it in a week (350~ odd pages). The entire Caine series (Heroes Die, Blade of Tyshalle, and Caine Black Knife) is fantastic.

The setting is a great mix of science-fiction and fantasy as there is travel between a futuristic Earth and psuedo-fantasy world with magic and the like called Home. The protagonist, Caine, is also an anti-hero rear end in a top hat who's no better than most of supposed "evil" people that he murders. On Earth he is a beloved by millions as a star of Adventures, special cubes encoded with his memories and the actions he undergoes on the Home. Sort of like a twisted futuristic version of reality television.

Another great thing: Stover is a martial artist and it really shows through in his writing as the book contains the best fight scenes that I have ever read in any genre. Descriptions are visceral and authentic and not for the weak of heart.

Stover is a really under appreciated author who pens a unique style of SFF and I can't recommend the above books enough.

The worst part is that was half a book. At the pace he writes we will never see the end. He said on his blog writing SW books are more financially sound at the moment.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Cosinetta posted:

The Lies of Locke Lamora, by Scott Lynch, was a decent read. I really like fantasy that's not "holy poo poo wizards and elves and crazy poo poo everywhere!" so I definitely digged this one. The setting is very very close to Venice (a city I love so that was a plus), but with strange elements that are never completely explained, which is better imo. Kind of like how Mieville never explains everything, but it's a bit lighter and less complex with this book. It's a tale of revenge and the main character of Locke is interesting and very human. It's similar to Monte Cristo in that he makes himself into different personas and it's a big tale of revenge, but there isn't as much underlying themes and metaphors that made Monte Cristo such a classic. Still a really good read though.

I really enjoyed this book. One of the few books that I have breezed through lately. I'd also recommend Heroes Die by Matt Stover, similar vein as Lies.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

vinnykoda posted:

I’ve had Mendel in the Kitchen: A Scientist's View of Genetically Modified Foods for some time now, and I think I’ll read that next.

Thanks for that. I'm going to go out and find it right now.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

LooseChanj posted:

Phillip K. Dick - Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said

This was incredible, my favorite PKD by far. Full of :psyduck: and a pretty satisfying and weird payoff.

I finished that, for the second time, about 2 weeks ago. I think my favorite of his by far. I've noticed on a bunch of books the ending is sometimes quite abrupt.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

FakeHipster posted:

I just finished Red Mars.

I loved it. The first hundred (heh) pages are a bit tough, but once you're into it, you're really into it. Robinson does a fantastic job of describing the new world, and the detail he goes in to about Mars (in terms of scientific, technical, environment, social etc etc) is stunning. Red Mars is the first book is a three book series, and I'm already about half way through the second one (Green Mars) and enjoying the poo poo out of it.

I love books on an epic scale, and Red Mars covers literally hundreds of years, from the absolute first people to colonize Mars to...well, I don't know yet, but I'm hoping it'll be as awesome as the first half of the trilogy.

I really need to pick those up. I worked with a guy at the EPA who has part of the book dedicated to him. He helped out the ecology portion of it, and went to school with him. We talked about Robinson for a good bit one day he sounds like a cool dude.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Dr Scoofles posted:

I just finshed reading Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane. It's been on my shelf for years and I only picked it up the other day because the trailer for the film looked interesting.

I can't make up my mind about it to be honest. 90% of it was entirely forgettable and dull and I have very little patience for dream sequences in books whilst 10% was pretty exciting and did what a good thriller is supposed to do. The ending was totaly unexpected to me, but in the end I really hated it. The 'he was crazy after all', or 'it was all a dream' style twist in the tale has always left me feeling frustrated and angry with the author.

I too finished this a few weeks ago. I completely agree with you. It was just meh. The movie was a lot better and the changes they made in the film made the story better too in my opinion.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

hello clarice posted:

The Lies of Locke Lamora and Red Seas Under Red Skies. I thought the second to be much weaker than the first (pirates really aren't my thing) but I still really liked it. Maybe someday there'll be a third. I've heard people on the forum mention that this is never going to happen, though. Sadness.

Any reason why? I haven't been able to find the second at any local stores. Really liked the first one.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

PonchtheJedi posted:

I just finished "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follet. It took me awhile to really get into it, but once I had a feel for all the characters and places, I could not put this book down. I really, really enjoyed it. I'm curious if the sequel is worth a read?

I think this one I will need to sit down and read. I was enthralled by the mini series they did, I wonder how much was changed between the book and the tv series.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Dunno dude, that's why I gave up midway through the second book. I don't think I am a prude or anything, but freaky alien sex for the sake of "Hey, gently caress it, why not and it'll pad my word count" doesn't really sell me on anything.

It was weird enough in the first book, but by the second book it just went full retard like some kinda genital based handshake for whatever society deems itself fuckable.

I listened to the audiobook version of the first few books. Man those sex scenes were really awkward. Interesting premise but the books did slide down to what kind of aliens can he gently caress.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

AxemRed posted:

I finally got around to finishing House of Leaves.

One of these days I'm going to listen to Poe's Haunted, his sister, both the book and her album are about their father's passing.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Ulio posted:

Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern, it's a book about the author's Dad who is crude sense of humour is really good but everything else in the book is not. Most of it's the author's anecdotes about himself and his dad helping him out. The anecdotes are real life stories which are fairly mundane but each chapter at least has one great quote from the dad with many more standalone at the end of it. I thought I'd read something funny, funny is hard to write and different for everyone but this had it's moments.

I didn't read this one but his second book I suck at girls was really good. I laughed a lot reading it because it reminded me of my relationships.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Rothana posted:

Just finished the Oath of Swords Series from David Weber. Really would recommend. Starting the Honor Harrington Series next. But was wondering if anyone has read the entire Recluse Series from L.E. Modesitt? I've read three books from that series but got kinda lost as the books don't seem to be in any order.

I've read all but the most recent. There is no specific order to the books, just events throughout the world and during different time points. Most of the books are basically the same, but I still love them. You might look into reading them in world chronological order. Apparently there is a new one coming out or is out already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Bonk posted:

Just finished The Martian and Ready Player One, both on friends' recommendations.

The Martian was great and a really fun bit of hard sci-fi. I'm really stoked for the movie.

Just finished it on a plane ride. I really liked it and almost everything he talked about is pretty realistic. I saw the trailer before reading it so I imagined him as Matt Damon the entire time.