Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nyquil
May 1, 2003

I just finished A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole, and it was hilarious the whole way through, all though the end was a little confusing and seemed there for the sake of ending the book. But overall it was hilarious and awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nyquil
May 1, 2003

PresterJohn posted:

I'm about a hundred pages from finishing Confederacy and loving every sentence of it. I've been living in New Orleans for about a year and Toole is so letter-perfect in capturing the characters of this place it's scary. The artist who lives in my building is so close to Ignatius Reilly (minus the gas) I wonder if he and Toole actually knew each other in college. I think I might fire up a discussion/fawning thread for the book once I'm done.

Do it, the book is more than worth a thread of it's own.

Apparently alot of people, including Will Ferrel, want it made into a movie. It has been tried several times, but something to do with publishing rights is getting in the way.

I think Chris Farley was one of the top choices for playing Ignatius.

nyquil
May 1, 2003

I just finished Lolita last night. Then immediately re-read it. It is so loving good. Every single page has something hilarious on it, and every scene is so perfectly set up and portrayed.

I went to my mom's house for easter and she said something along the lines of 'why are you reading Lolita, that Nabokov's a pervert.' I hope not too many other people think the same thing, because they are missing one of the best novels ever written

nyquil
May 1, 2003

Kentucky Shark posted:

Just finished The Yiddish Policeman's Union by Michael Chabon. I had trouble getting into it at first, in part because the unfamiliar setting and nmumber of Yiddish words make it a little disorienting. I stuck it out for a bit, and couldn't put it down after the first couple chapters. An awesome detective story in so many ways; I feel like writting Chabon a love letter right now.

That book is amazing.

I just finished Roth's I Married a Communist, which I thought was actually better than American Pastoral, though most people will say otherwise.