Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
Make Love! The Bruce Campbell Way by, you guessed it, Bruce Campbell. I thought it was hilarious, and a great followup to If Chins Could Kill, even though that was a straight autobiography and Make Love! is fiction. If you're a huge Bruce fan like I am, well, you've probably read it already. If not, then it might not be the book for you.

What kind of bugged me about it was the font. I never realized how rare sans serif fonts are in novels until I read this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
Just finished "The Basic Eight" by Daniel Handler (who is also Lemony Snicket, and has a good reason for using a pseudonym for children's books because his adult books are hosed right the hell up). It was quite a ride. It's about a pretentious high school clique who call themselves the Basic Eight, who are the kind of kids that I loved to hate in high school, and how they deal with things like first loves, alcohol, and Satanic murder. Normally I'm not a big fan of high school lit, but I love Handler's style so much that if he wrote the phone book I'd read it and love it.

I also recommend "Watch Your Mouth", Handler's second novel, which is written in the style of an opera and deals with such time-honored themes as incest and golems.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
Just finished The Last Witchfinder by James Morrow. It was like an easier to read version of Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle, since it takes place in the Age of Reason, has a strong female protagonist, and has many of the same historical characters (Newton, Hooke, Franklin). The main character, Jennet Crompton, is the daughter of the last English witchfinder, who is taught natural philosophy by her proto-feminist aunt while her younger brother is taught how to kill witches by their father. Naturally, crazy witchfinder dad + skeptical, curious, and intelligent aunt = short life expectancy for aunt. The story spirals from there into Jennet befriending a midget, moving to the colonies, getting kidnapped by Indians, shipwrecked, sleeping with Ben Franklin, stuff like that. The book is narrated by Newton's Principia Mathematica (not by Newton, by the book itself - it's kind of a weird quirky style but I liked it). It's a pretty good book if you want something Stephenson-esque but also want to have some hope of finishing it in the near future.