Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I finished "Der Schwarm" by Frank Schätzing recently, which reaffirmed my dislike of German SciFi. I periodically give it a chance, and so far, it has always dissappointed me :( I'm gonna have to do this myself :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I just finished Robert Charles Wilson's (Charles, not Anton!) fantastic book Spin, and I'm still floored from just how good it was. If you see it in a book store, definitely pick it up, but don't you DARE and read the blurb on the back, which is a total spoiler.

It's a bit ironic that this book is about the virtue of patience and yet I couldn't wait to find out what happens further in. I spent the last night reading and collecting tired eyes for work.

Highly, highly recommended!

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I just finished Accelerando by Charles Stross, who I'd given another chance on the insistence of my book dealer after reading Singularity Sky and not liking it. I suppose Accelerando did somewhat rehabilitate Stross to me, yet his writing always seems to have this smidge of Unix Humor that I just do not find funny. I'm still not going to actively seek out new material by him. If you're into slashdot and open source and user friendly and so on, this is totally for you.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I just got done with To Say Nothing Of The Dog by Connie Willis, which was probably the cutest science fiction book I've read yet. It's sometimes very funny, in a dry and nonchalant way, and it's got a decent love story too so I guess it's fun for the whole family :)

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Palooka posted:

I'm just finishing up Mars Trilogy again, by Kim Stanley Robinson (Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars). There are definitely sections scattered here and there that make it a tough read for some people (unless you love reading about rocks A LOT)
REGOLITH SLURRY!!

I can really only recommend the Mars Trilogy to patient people. If you gave up on LOTR before Tom Bombadil, this ain't your thing :)