Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
White Noise by Don DeLillo

Excellent first 150+ pages, but then it sort of wanes off and the real meat of the book shines through, which is unfortunate because i loved the little vignette structure that preceded it, mostly because i'm a sucker for character driven novels.

But i was pretty happy with the read, especially since i'm slowly getting my feet wet with contemporary fiction. I can imagine this book being pretty good fodder for a screenplay...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

bazooka_tooth posted:

Not enough to make a discussion thread about, but did you interpret the Airborne Chemical Event as a mid-life crisis?

Also, Professor of Hitler Studies, and the Nuns who worship JFK, were both hilarious, and in tune with the mid-life crisis theory.

Yes to the first question, although i guess it could be seen as the mere fact of facing one's mortality and the sum of your life

I'm not completely in agreement with the last two comments, especially since he started his career during a timeline before the book was written.

I loving loved Heinrich though...

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
American Pyscho

An amazing read...dizzing, absolutely hypnotic....i just wish i could the Ellis thread so i could discuss, but alas it is long gone.

Blue Of Noon, Story of the Eye

My first foray into George Bataille, both were very fast reads and gratifying, with the Story of the Eye being a bit too surrealist for my tastes, but Blue of Noon had a perfect pitch of absurdity and straight forward narrative.

vivisectvnv fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 16, 2007

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

inktvis posted:

Sat on the shelf awhile before I got round to it, but more Jelinek actually seems a pretty intriguing prospect.

wonderful wonderful times is excellent

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Captain Satire posted:

I just finished Less than Zero By Bret Easton Ellis and adored it. There is something about his highly personal style and stark violence and cynicism that I really love. I have read Rules of Attraction and American Psycho already and like them to so I think I will move onto The Informers unless somebody suggests something else.

i'd suggest going to Glamorama next as The Informers was written at basically the same time as Less than Zero and Rules of Attraction, so the style remains the same.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

pingofdeath posted:

I also read American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis. While I thought it was a terrific book, many sex and torture scenes, particularly of violence towards women, seemed a bit much and essentially precludes any and all women from reading the book. I have a strong stomach and am no fan of censorship, but when a passage in a book makes even ME feel sick, someone's stepped over a line somewhere. In some cases, as well, the scenes just sort of felt like filler. Other than that I thought it was terrific and the few segments where Bateman reflects on himself and his life were some beautifully written prose. I can't wait to get my hands on more of Ellis' writing. I'm thinking of picking up The Informers next, which I understand is in the style of movies like Crash and Babel, or loosely interconnected stories, except with a lot more nihilism.

most of the stories in the Informers are actually ones he wrote prior to writing American Psycho and in some cases before he even wrote Less Than Zero

I'd recommend moving on to either Rules of Attraction or Glamorama....or actually just start from the very beginnning with Less Than Zero

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

robotsinmyhead posted:

Almost embarrassingly, I didn't quite finish American Psycho when I read it. About 85% through, the book deteriorates into a nearly endless string of murder/torture scenes and gets really hard to read.

you missed some great internal monologues that happen near the end of the book

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

I once asked a bookstore clerk if they had the book and she was horrified and so was my date and I felt like a terrible weirdo. Gonna buy it on Amazon one day.

it's people like this, with ignorant preconceived notions of the book, that deter it from ever being recognized as one of the best novels of the 90s...or really modern american literature.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Firefox Asexual posted:

Now on to Glamorama

Enjoy the trip, i'm seeing a lot binge reading sessions in your future

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
Just finished Civilwarland In bad Decline and prior to that Pastoralia, both short story collection by George Saunders.

Holy god, what a revelation, can't believe me it took this long to have read his works, haven't laughed out loud in a long time while reading. But along with the fantastic satirical humor, some of the stories are very dark making for a great synergy.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
The informers was kind of thrown together from some short stories Ellis wrote before he wrote Less Then Zero. It was basically a publishers stop gap between american psycho and Glamorama. There is no meta-narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

If you guys are interested in reading about campaigns you don't want to miss David F Wallace's article for the Stones back in 2000.

seconding and it's also very "current political feels" as well