Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I just finished Heart of Darkness, by Conrad and The Wasp Factory, by Banks.

Well, those were for fun. I have tons of school-assigned reading on the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Just finished Wieland by Brown and The House of Seven Gables by Hawthorne for a American Gothic class.

Aside from schoolbooks, I am 300 pages into The Count of Monte Cristo. I just ordered "The Life and Extraordinary Adventures of Private Ivan Chonkin" based on goon recommendations, The Stranger (a cloth "hardcover" edition), and a hardcover In Cold Blood.

I love and hate this thread so much. Amazon just keeps sucking away my money.

edit: haha, totally forgot I bought The Divine Comedy the other day too. Can't loving pass a Borders without stopping in to browse (and usually buy).

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 27, 2007

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Just finished The Turn of the Screw by Henry James. I found it to be excellent in how well the story weaves in and out, always turning what you think might be clues to unraveling the mystery of the story into further mysteries in of themselves.

(non-spoiler)

Is the governess crazy or not? The ending, which I won't give away, seems to point one way, but almost immediately, I found myself re-reading the last couple paragraphs and realized that it actually takes the confusion and doubt to another level. I am actually enjoying the confusion, which I think is a hallmark of a talented author.

Fantastic work, Mr. James.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Without Pants posted:

I received 4 books I ordered from Amazon today, and in about 3 hours, finished.The Stranger by Albert Camus My head was spinning as I read the last 2 pages. Amazing.

I'm just starting The Idiot as I type this.

Get out of my brain. I just got 3 books from Amazon today, one of which was The Stranger by Albert Camus. I was going to let it sit until I finished some other stuff, but I'll have to do it after work tomorrow.

What else did you get? I also got the hardcover In Cold Blood by Truman Capote, and The Life & Extraordinary Adventures of Private Ivan Chonkin by Vladimir Voinovich.

I'm getting Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes and House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski tomorrow. drat Amazon taking my student loan check!

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Zero Karizma posted:

Enjoy! Don Quixote is actually pretty funny. And not in a "funny for literature" way... he's out of his loving mind and spends 90% of the book attacking innocent people because he thinks they are dragons/ruffians/enemy armies. That's pretty much all the book is.

DQ: Look Sancho! A group of dark wizards!
(points towards a caravan of priests and nuns)
Sancho: No sir, wait!
(DQ chops off a priest's arm and is mercilessly beaten by the nuns)
Sancho: Jesus Christ...

On a personal note, I just finished The Return of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle. It was great, but so far pretty much all of Holmes has been. What a fantastic character. I'm really not looking forward to the supposed "decline in quality" that I hear is coming.

Yeah, I've been meaning to get to Don Quixote for awhile, but I've read a bunch of really long novels back-to-back-to-back, so I might have to cleanse the palate with some of my shorter stuff, but I'm really looking forward to reading it.

As far as Sherlock Holmes - where should I start? I'm looking for an unabridged "complete SH" but stuff I've seen is lacking, so I think I'll just buy them in order.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I finished The Stranger a few hours ago and am still trying to figure it out. I've read a lot of Vonnegut, so I'm familiar with existentialist characters, but this feels so incredibly stripped down and raw, I'm not sure how to piece it all together. I felt drained by Meursault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

tear leopard posted:

Everything That Rises Must Converge by Flannery O'Connor. Collection of really morbid stories that are funny in a dark, dark way. The best one is probably The Lame Shall Enter First but they're all great. I have to say though, if you read it all in one sitting, the stories start to sound similar to one another. So read one a day, or something.

Ny uncle gave me this for my birthday, maybe 11th or 12th, somewhere in there. My mom apparently wasn't very happy, but I loved it.