Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Two books read for the first time, two not.

Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny. It's that rarest of beasts: a science fiction novel that spends a significant amount of time referencing religion whilst not being about Christianity. The Hindu pantheon appear, in a novel in which revealing the plot would undermine the deliberated way in which it would unfurl. One of the earliest of the "Science Fiction Masterworks" series, and well deserved.

Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh. As Waugh says in his introduction, this is very much a book of when it was written, the Second World War, rather than when it was set. English collegiate life is both accurately and inaccurately potrayed in equal measure, with the book after they go down being much more forlorn and melancholic in its nostalgia than anything else that Waugh wrote.

Beyond Good and Evil by Freddy Nietzsche. One of the best ways to describe my relationship with this book, and indeed all of Nietzsche's works, is to refer to the first section of BG&E itself - "i Philosophy about the search for truth, and why should truth be valued - because whilst I disagree with the conclusions and arguments that Nietzsche puts forward, it is certainly interesting to read.

Something Happened by Joseph Heller. This book is incredibly dense. From the start, you are bombarded with a vast wall of text upon an average american man; his musings on his chidren, his job prospects and his reminiscing about a girl he could have slept with when he was seventeen. As has been noted at length, this is not another Catch 22: the novel is both worse written and has a target less universal than Heller's piece apparantly upon war. Like American Psycho, the time of this book has, to some extent, past. Like American Psycho, I still found it interesting despite that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU