Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

V. by Thomas Pynchon.

A good book overall with some really excellent parts, but I feel like I'd need a history lesson and a college lit class to really wring everything out of it. And some parts kept putting me to sleep on the train to/from work. It's not as cumbersomely huge and dense as Gravity's Rainbow, I'm sure, but enough so to keep me from fully grasping certain parts. Definitely a worthwhile read, though, and it has some really memorable and/or hilarious parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

I just reread Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle for the first time since high school. Still great, thought-provoking satire, and I can see how it helped me push through some of my high school angst. :) And by the end of the day, I should be finished rereading Mother Night as well. Reading the two back-to-back, it strikes me how similar Campbell's disdain for nationalism and his love for the notion of the "Nation of Two" is to Bokonon's emphasis on the importance and relevance of the karass over the granfaloon, and it's a viewpoint that's stuck with me pretty much since I started reading Vonnegut in the first place.

I reread The Sirens of Titan several months ago, but I might reread some of the other parts of my Vonnegut collection while I'm at it.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Just finished Nova Swing by M. John Harrison, a quasi-sequel to the absolutely excellent novel Light. I didn't like NS quite as much, but it was still a good book, and even more character-oriented than Light was. Really, the Saudade Site was more of a locus to bring the characters together than an integral part of the plot itself, and I like how Harrison left most of the Site's properties to the imagination. His prose is as excellent as ever, and he has a really amazing way of bringing the reader into the setting - Saudade stuck in my brain while I was reading NS almost as much as the Kefahuchi Tract in Light. The ending was interesting in how subdued and open it was, and fit the tone of the novel just right.