Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wet Bandits Copycat
Apr 18, 2004

I just finished notes from the underground by Dostoevsky. I really, really, liked it. Though I had some trouble getting around the translation and then digesting the contents. I felt like I identified with the narrators need for misery a little too much. I think I'm going to keep going with Dostoevsky onward to his other books.

I also read Horatio Algers Ragged Dick. I don't really believe the ideas behind the novel, but the main characters name was Dick Hunter, which made my inner adolescent laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wet Bandits Copycat
Apr 18, 2004

Hoover Dam posted:

Jon Krakauer's Under the Banner of Heaven. First of his books I've read, and I'll be picking up the rest. It's the story of the fundamentalist (i.e. still practicing polygamy) Mormon sects and how they're keeping up the tradition of holding tight to church practices that Joseph Smith and Brigham Young and other church founders all just kinda made up.

Jon Krakauer also wrote a book called Into the wild which I loved reading in highschool. I haven't read his other books yet so I can't give you a recomendation, but into the wild rocks.

Wet Bandits Copycat
Apr 18, 2004

This week I read:

Timequake by Vonnegut.

Even though I love Vonnegut I didn't go nuts over this novel. It admits that it's an amalgam of things Vonnegut wrote and reads like it.

explain to me some stories of Kafka

I've never read anything written by Kafka before so I decided to pick this up. I thought it, and the explanatory essays, were excellent. I'm going to move onto other short stories by Kafka.

The pilgrims progress by John Bunyan.

Christian allegory. It wasn't fun to read, but it's been mentioned in so many other novels I've read that I wanted to look at it because I had no idea what it was. Now I know. It was also mentioned in one of the explanatory essays in explain to me some stories of Kafka so I decided that I had to read it.

I've decided that next week I'm going to read (attempt to read) Palm sunday and Ovid's metamorphosis.