Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just finished Circe: I love Greek mythology, and this takes that and puts a new perspective and twist on it, while still remaining faithful to Homers Illiad, and the Odyssey. Seeing this fantasy setting from the perspective of a lesser god was really interesting and cool, and its just such a great story to read with very good character depth and growth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Circe is a good book, but The Song of Achilles is fantastic. Beautiful prose, just masterfully written.

Waiting still for my library to have this available! The waitlist is long. Reading A Thousand Ships right now! I am in my Greek mythology era currently lol.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A Thousand Ships - this was such a great Greek myth novel! I loved how it took Homers epic poem, and put a brand new twist on them, focusing on the women of Greece, and Troy, and the Goddesses. Adding new lore to these epic poems from different perspectives, both characters that existed, and new characters. It was really well done, but could have been very tedious as it jumps back and forth between a lot of different characters. It helped I think that the longer chapters were broken up with shorter chapters. I liked all of it, but I think I enjoyed Penelopes chapters the least, as the writing was done as letters or journal entries, and they just didn't feel as good to read as the rest of the book was. They also added the least new material, so if you are already very familiar with Homers the Odyssey, then there is really nothing new here. The rest of the book was great though and paced very well.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Song of Achilles Not quite as good as Madeline Miller's second book, Circe. You can see where she will grow as a writer though if you read both books back to back. The pacing is not quite as good here, where its near perfect in Circe. But still a really good story about Achilles and his totally just :airquote: best friend, Patroclus. Part coming of age, part romance, and part action. It tells the story of Achilles from the perspective of Patroclus through childhood up through the 10 years of the Trojan war. Although you already know the fate of these two characters, Miller adds a lot of new lore and details of her own to make this is a very addictive read.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Expanse: Leviathan Wakes This was a fun science fiction novel, enjoyed it more than the show even, and the show is really good. The book being focused on just two protagonists was a good thing. It keeps the chapters moving quickly, and the story stays focused. Where the show jumps back and forth between a pretty large cast of main characters. James S. A. Corey also writes some really carefully crafted space realism. Or at least what he writes feels very grounded in reality, the show takes place entirely in space, and that is written into the background as a constant reality and danger for the characters. There is a lot of history written throughout the book that explains how this environment has impacted the people and why they are even there in the first place. If I had any complaints, James Corey is really bad at writing women characters, Holden is a horny weirdo, and Miller is creepy lusting after a women much younger than he is, the attempted romance parts were thankfully short, but still cringe.

Great book overall, watch the show!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I loved this series but I must warn you: if you read straight through the whole thing at once their writing idiosyncrasies really stand out. But it's totally worth a read.

Yeah i'm taking a break for other books before I move onto book 2. The series looks to be huge, so I think I would go mad if I tried to read all of it back to back.