Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadyMilkman
Aug 25, 2004

Hearts On Fire
I just finsihed Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis. I was super pumped to read it, as I didn't start reading his stuff until after Lunar Park went through its main hardcover print run, so I had to wait for it to hit paperback.

The first half was fantastic, but the second was a bit too "out there" even in comparison to Glamorama. I loved it, but wasn't my favorite.

I also re-read The Eye of the World but just like my first time through, I just can't seem to get in to The Great Hunt. I love TEotW, but even halfway through TGH, it still is boring to me. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadyMilkman
Aug 25, 2004

Hearts On Fire
Tamburlaine, Doctor Faustus, Edward the Second, and The Jew of Malta - Christopher Marlowe.

Albeit, they were required for my English course, but I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed these. As an English major, I have been getting really sick and tired of primarily studying the 16th and 17th century, but Marlowe's stuff has been wonderful so far.

Hell, I'll go on to say I enjoy his works more than Shakespeare's - Marlowe seems to take a lot more risks with his plays, especially Edward the Second.

ShadyMilkman
Aug 25, 2004

Hearts On Fire
Sons and Lovers by D.H. Lawrence

I loved this book. I liked how it shifted emphasis from the family as a whole and onto Paul for that second half of the book. I loved the 'weird' tension between the mother and Morel - they loved each other but they never knew how to express it due to their pride. At every instance where they are brought close, I found myself hoping that they would fall back in to what they originally were. I really liked Morel's dialog also, with the 'thee' and 'thou's'. I couldn't help but notice how Paul would use those words every know and then either.

Though, I finished the story hating Paul. I just found myself getting so angry at him over how he treated Miriam. I loved Miriam :unsmith:

Time to head in to his other stuff. Rereading The Great Gatsby, The Catcher in the Rye, and The Rules of Attraction first though.

ShadyMilkman fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 12, 2007

ShadyMilkman
Aug 25, 2004

Hearts On Fire

Bookish posted:

Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe.

It was written in 1722 and tells the story about a girl who was born to a mother in Newgate prison. She wants to be a lady and will lie cheat and steal to get there. It was a really good story and it was interesting reading about life in the 1700s.

I had to read that in one my college classes and I just couldn't get in to it. I'd hazard the reason mainly being that it was required reading and that the classs was a waste of time. I should go back and give it an honest shot.