Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Wanderers by Chuck Wendig, because I wanted a big sci fi thing for a beach read. People are losing all sense of themselves and walking in a steadily growing pack. They don’t respond to stimuli and they can’t be stopped. There’s loved ones shepherding them to stop them being attacked, and doctors trying to figure out wtf. Stuff to do with public opinion and politics. Gets going well and introduces the various main characters at the kind of rate where you get to know one properly before it throws more at you. Overall I loved it for the first... third I guess. And it tailed off from there. Pacing felt off in the second half after being excellent. The plot’s twists and turns started to feel heavier or more contrived or whatever.

Next (re-)read is gonna be Rebecca because it’s one of my all-time favourites and I only ever read it once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

TommyGun85 posted:

I hope you are being sarcastic...
Sounds like you didn’t quite get Feyd’s nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

there’s no way it’s not an affectation lmao

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i was expected to wear a tie to work as late as 2016

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I read my first Famous Five novel (they go on a picnic) and it was the most boring thing I've ever endured. I'm glad my older siblings warned me not to read them when I was a kid. Took me a week to finish because I kept getting so bored I couldn't take it in one sitting.

Also without the dog they would be NOTHING. And they don't even realize it.
i liked those books as a small child. i tried to read one again recently and even nostalgia couldn’t power me through more than 50 pages. they are wretched

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I just finished Slow Horses by Mick Herron and I liked the story and whatnot, but there was something about the author's style of writing that picked away at my enjoyment. Like he would build suspense in a kinda artificial way by just describing something poorly

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Dune by Frank Herbert was a way breezier read than I was expecting, though that might just be because the only memory I have of reading it in middle school was struggling really hard to wrap my head around the prose. For the most part, it's just good old fashioned medieval mythmaking with a bunch of sci-fi bells and whistles, but you can tell how much work Herbert put into those bells and whistles to create a vividly realized world with a lot of depth behind all the casual tossed-off references. I do think the first half of the book is far better than the second half, if just because the intrigue there is more...intriguing, and Herbert has a tough time shaping Paul's arc in the final third into a manageable dramatic shape. He also has a habit of using thudding internal monologues to communicate things that either have already been told to us, or could have been worked more organically into the text, but it's also fun seeing the ways that people work at cross-purposes, even if it doesn't always feel organic. I was also surprised by how nondescript it is, but maybe that's down to expectations set by the wild visuals of Lynch's film, and the grand scale of Villeneuve's.

I love the sandtrout, more of them please.
just remember, it’s never too early to stop reading dune sequels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

my experience of it was “what if resident evil 4 made even less sense”

e: i did kinda like it once i accepted it was less gothic fiction and more b-movieish pulp